Mexican Hot Chocolate Toasted Pecans

One thing I love just as much as the whole salty-sweet thing… is the chocolate-cayenne combo.   I first saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and I was sold. Hook. Line. SINKER!! Whenever I find a recipe that has cocoa and cayenne pepper in the ingredient list I get all giddy inside.  In this recipe the cayenne doesn’t really add a dramatic spice factor, but there is a slight warmth that creeps over the back of your tongue that is quite fabulous.

6536052853_a99046594f_o

These nuts are the perfect little accessory to any festive party or lazy rainy day for that matter. Like a pair of pearl earrings or black heels, they just simply work. Period. They’re highly addictive with their crispy-cocoa texture and the subtle heat from the cayenne that’ll no doubt leave you and your guests pondering what, why and how are these are so dang fantastical? {sorry was channeling my inner Gaga}

Julie from Savvy Eats, you are my HERO.

But if pecans aren’t your thing… mix it up with some almonds! Really any nut would work just fine! I brought these choco-spiced pecans into work and shared them with my friends… most of which printed off this recipe immediately, and I found myself wishing I hadn’t shared… because in no time they were gone, fast… too fast. :)

The goods.

Start by adding regular ol’ sugar to a medium bowl.

Throw in some cocoa powder. Careful, that stuff ends up everywhere.

Add in the teaspoon and a half of cinnamon and the half teaspoon of ginger.

A pinch of cayenne and allspice. {Psst… this is the secret weapon!!}

Purty.

Stir until combined. Go ahead… take a sniff.

Separate the yolk from the whites.

Discard the yolk… orrrr save it if you like to make butter cream frosting and then eat it with a spoon. yummz.

Whip up the egg white until small peaks form… aka really frothy.

Add in the {roughly 4-1/2 cups} pecans. I just used a 16 ounce bag… but whatevs.

Stir…

…Until every nook and cranny is coated with foamy egg whites.

Add in the cocoa mixture.

And toss until the pecans are well coated. You will have some left over cocoa mixture, but hey… that’s totally okay.

With a slotted spoon, scoop them onto a lined cookie sheet. I used the slotted spoon because I wanted to keep that extra cocoa mixture in the bowl and not on my cookie sheet.

Spread evenly and pop them into a preheated 250 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove, stir and bake for an additional twenty. *Notice they still look wet and sticky*

After the second set of twenty minutes was up, I found that they were dried and perfectly toasted. The recipe calls for up to an hour, so use your best judgment.

Scatter these nuts in little candy dishes throughout your house… so you can find them easily right at your fingertips!

Mexican Hot Chocolate Toasted Pecans

16 ounces Pecans

1 Egg White

2/3 cup White Sugar

1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1-1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger

1 pinch Cayenne Pepper

1 pinch Ground Allspice

adoringly borrowed and only slightly modified from Julie of Savvy Eats

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. I lined my cookie sheet with a silpat, but you could also grease with butter or coconut oil.

Mix the sugar, cocoa powder and all the spices in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk the egg white until it is thick and frothy {small peaks} and add in the pecans. Stir to coat. Next, add the cocoa mixture and combine until the nuts are evenly coated.

Scoop the nuts with a slotted spoon onto the prepared pan and place in your preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove, toss and place back in the oven for twenty more minutes. After the first 40 minutes, check your nuts to see if the cocoa/sugar doesn't crumble off of the nuts. If it does, place it back in the oven for 20 more minutes, otherwise let cool slightly and serve!

25 Responses to “Mexican Hot Chocolate Toasted Pecans”

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner — December 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh, wow, those look amazing! This is the type of recipe that I'd have to make, eat a reasonable amount of, and then package up and give away immediately!

Julie @Savvy Eats — December 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — December 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love making toasted flavorful goodies like this at home. I have a cranberry rosemary batch that is just fabulous – but for Christmas and the winter – Mexican hot cocoa can't be beat :) Merry Christmas, Laurie!! Hope it's absolutely wonderful! ~Megan

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oh Julie they are totally delicious!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Cranberry Rosemary you say? Hmmm sounds Christmas-y to me! I'm a huge roasted/toasted nut fan!! Merry Christmas Megan! Hope you have the most wonderful holiday! Xo

Jen — December 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I just found out I'm intolerant to pecans but this blog post makes me want to eat them anyway!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — December 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

GIRL. One of the great loves of my life is chocolate/cayenne!

OH…oh….oh…

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oh Jen that stinks! :(

Aarthi — December 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I too saw this in tasty kitchen and was planning to make it..And look now you are first, will try it soon..I think i will make it with almonds..May be cashew works better, what do you think laurie?

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs — December 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh my these are mouthwatering! I just so happen to have some nuts that have been waiting for this recipe and they didn't even know it! Making them today!!
    Jo-Anna

warmvanillasugar — December 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These sound positively scrumptious! Yum!

marthameetslucy — December 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I'm with you. Anytime chocolate and cayenne is an option, I am going to make it. I have a batch of these in my oven right now.

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs — December 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Ok, I just made them but with almonds…DELISH! Me, myself and I can't stop eating them!!
    Jo-Anna

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Hi-FIVE Jo-Anna!! Aren't they just lovely!?

Sarah — December 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

mmm, yes! I'm going to gift these to myself. Lovely!

Steph — December 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

dear lord, please keep me away from these because I will NOT share them once I have one. AMAZING!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Nope Steph, you sure won't! ;)

Julie M. — December 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I positively adore candied nuts! I love this spin on them – simply delicious. I know what you mean about the cocoa too. I've "poofed" it throughout my kitchen more times than i care to mention.

Sprinkled with Flour — December 23, 2011 at 1:40 am

Oooh, these definitely have peaked my interest! I love the flavor combo :)

CouponClippingCook — December 23, 2011 at 5:37 am

I'm so in love with your pictures! I also like the combination of chocolate and cayenne. I first learned of this combo on the food channel and it sounded so good together. These sound delicious. Have a great Holiday and Happy New Year too!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 23, 2011 at 6:26 am

Thank you so much!! Have a very Merry Christmas too!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

crazy but i had not had hot choc in years..until yesterday!

now i wish i had some of these nuts to go alongside :)

Beth Michelle — December 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I also love the cayenne chocolate combo. These pecans look unreal! Perfect snack.

Adele Forbes — December 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Laws have mercy your post has set my taste buds to wagging like a happy puppy…great job! My wish for you is to have a beautiful Christmas eve.

Kiri W. — December 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Oh man, that looks heavenly! I love Mexican spiced brownies, and I just had my first taste of nutella-candied almonds – your recipe looks fantastic!