Linguine alla Carbonara

The other day I was contemplating what I should make with the four egg yolks that I had left over from this recipe. Well it was either a hair moisturizing treatment or linguine alla carbonara… obviously I went with the carbonara!

Linguine-alla-Carbonara-620x414

It’s been a loooooooong time since I made this. But one thing I knew for sure is that it’s all in the sauce! A carbonara sauce usually is consisted of egg yolks, heavy cream {although some debate about that}, cheese and BACON! This time I decided to add some Italian sausage and a lil’ lemon zest, and I was so glad I did! Serve with a crisp salad and some of this bread and your meal will be rock solid. Promise.

Oh… and FYI… I’ve ate 26 Hershey kisses while typing up this post. Somebody puh-lease hand me an apple?!

The carbonara musts… and don’t forget the kosher salt and the black pepper {I ran out of room}!

Start out by rolling the Italian sausage into little bite-size meatballs.

One pound of Italian sausage should yield about 35-40 depending on the size.

Cook up the half pound of bacon, and then just drain off all but about two tablespoons of the bacon grease.

Over medium heat, immediately add the sausage…

…And brown them on all of their sides, until they are cooked throughout.

Once the last batch of sausage balls hit the pan, add kosher salt to some boiling water and cook the pasta to al dente. For me it was 7 minutes… but follow your package directions.

In the last minute of cooking add about 3 pressed garlic cloves and stir until the garlic is aromatic and golden, about a minute. Remove the sausage balls to paper towel lined plate to drain.

In a large bowl add the egg yolks, cream, salt, a generous amount of black pepper and a little lemon zest.

Whisk into submission.

Grate a cup of the Pecorino Romano cheese and a little extra for later… if you know what I mean! 😉

Add the cup of cheese to the egg mixture and mix.

Once the pasta is cooked, save a cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta into a colander and immediately toss the hot pasta into the egg/cream mixture until every strand of pasta is drenched in the sauce!

Add in about cup of peas… give or take.

Break up the bacon and add it to the pasta as well.

Lastly add in the mini sausage balls and toss.

I was totally speechless! And apparently totally forgetful…

Because I totally forgot to chop up parsley and sprinkle it on top! Oh well… Parsley-shmarsley it was fab anyways!

I mean really… pasta shouldn’t taste this good!… wait… Yes it should!! Not to mention it’s probably the easiest pasta dish to make in the entire world of pastas! Make this one ASAP… you’ll be glad you did!

Linguine alla Carbonara

Yield: 4-6 servings

1/2 pound Bacon, cooked

2 tablespoons of reserved Bacon Fat

1 pound Mild Italian Sausage

3 clove Garlic, pressed

4 Egg Yolks

1/2 cup Heavy Cream

1 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, freshly grated

Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, to taste

1/2 teaspoon Lemon Zest, freshly grated

1 cup Petite Peas

1 pound Linguine

Parsley, for garnish {optional}

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Roll the Italian sausage in to bite-size meatballs, about 35-40. In the reserved bacon fat over medium heat; working in batches, brown and cook the sausage. In the last minute toss in the pressed garlic and cook until fragrant and golden {about one minute}. Remove sausage balls to a paper towel lined plate to drain.

While the last batch of sausage meatballs are in the pan; cook the pasta according to package directions to al dente.

Mean while in a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, heavy cream, salt, a generous amount of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and the grated cheese.

Once the pasta is cooked, reserve a cup of pasta water and drain linguine. Immediately add the hot pasta to the egg mixture and toss until pasta is evenly coated and the cheese melted. Next add in peas, crumbled bacon and the sausage. Toss and serve with a little remaining Pecorino Romano and chopped fresh parsley.

*Use reserved pasta water to thin out the sauce if desired.

19 Responses to “Linguine alla Carbonara”

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs — August 25, 2011 at 3:53 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! I love to look at (and drool over) your posts! Looks like a really yummy recipe.
    Jo-Anna

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 25, 2011 at 4:00 am

THANK YOU Jo-Anna! 🙂

Blog is the New Black — August 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Beautiful pics, as always! Those meatballs look wonderful. I've always wanted to try a carbonara!

Nichole — August 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Its my fav kind!!! I'm making it soon.

Pretend Chef — August 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I know what I want for breakfast. Haha! Your photos are crave worthy as usual. I love the use of the sausage. Last time I made carbonara I used chicken. It'll be nice to switch it up this time. Can't wait to give this a try.

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thank you Rochelle! And I may try it next time with chicken!! Ha! Thanks for the idea! 🙂

Tina — August 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The ingredients of bacon and sausage sure has sold me on this dish. Great pasta dish-yum!

Bev Weidner — August 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Um, OMG. I just died. I've been craving something meaty and something bally.

Wait, I might need to rephrase that.

this. looks. perfect.

RavieNomNoms — August 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I want THIS pasta! Not any pasta, but THIS one…looks amazing Laurie! I love all the ingredients in this and your pictures, as always, are fantastic!

Evan @swEEts — August 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I'm going to be the talk of the household when I whip up this dish! How delicious.. I can just taste the deliciousness already!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — August 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm

You nailed this one. Beautiful. When I first saw it very late last night/early this morning when I got home from work, I wanted to eat the computer screen.

janet@cupcakestocaviar — August 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I adore carbonara and the addition of the sausage to this was genius! I really really want this…like right now 😀

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 25, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments! 🙂 <3

hmariek — August 26, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Your step by step photos really show how simple this really is!! I just love ready your posts. This recipe looks amazing, and I could make it using gluten-free noodles!! Thanks!!

Emily — August 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I love the little meatballs! I bet my husband and I would LOOOOVE this. Gorgeous photos, as always!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 27, 2011 at 12:43 am

this is beautiful! Wish I'd had this for dinner tonight… 🙂

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — August 27, 2011 at 3:10 am

LOVE.IT!!!!!!!!!!!

kita — August 27, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I forget the parsley 99% of the time! This carbonara really does sound outstanding. And it looks like I could pull it together rather quickly too! Wonderful 🙂

Tiffany — August 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm