Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese

Now here is a delicious sandwich.

6028325846_d4fdb1a5b8_o

And my friends… you’re gonna love this one! It came to me… after watching Guy Fieri in Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Is it me? Or, does all that grilled, fried and smoked food get anyone else extremely hungry while watching the show? I think it’s pure strategy… because why would the Food Network air that show late at night!

So do ya remember the other day when I posted that I would choose pizza as the one thing I could eat for the rest of my life?

I lied.

Well maybe it wasn’t all-out lie; I just think I temporarily forgot about my love affair with all things grilled cheese! And I can proudly say that I make a mean grilled cheese! Can a grilled cheese be mean? Why yes it can! And that’s exactly what I have here for you… One. Mean. Sammie.

I know your thinking ‘She just posted a grilled sandwich recipe just a few weeks ago”…. but this isn’t your typical grilled sandwich. It’s a jalapeno popper… but in grilled cheese form. And I just couldn’t wait to share it!Oh heck yeah.

Start by placing a few jalapeno’s on a hot grill. Depending on the size of your bread, I would say about two peppers per sandwich.

Roast them until the skin is charred… about 10-15 minutes.

Place the peppers in a bag {paper preferred, but I was all out} and let them steam for about 10 minutes. Doing so aids in easy jalapeno skin removal. Bonus.

Meanwhile mince up a few green onions… like 4 to 5.

Add them to a bowl along with some black pepper.

Throw in a few ounces of, my favorite, cream cheese!

Mix it up until smooth.

Take two slices of your favorite bread… I like to use sour dough, but it really doesn’t matter… just as long as you smear it with as much of the cream cheese mixture as you’d like!

Lay out two slices of cheddar or colby jack cheese.

Once the charred jalapenos have steamed and cooled a bit in the bag, gently peel the skin away from the pepper.

See… sooooo easy!

Remove the tops and discard.

Slice down one side of the pepper and remove the seeds and ribs… be careful it only takes one slip of the knife and you hit a juice pocket that sends a small droplet of fiery acid onto your left eyeball which will leave you partially blind for about 45 seconds. True story. Ask Pat… he was laughing the whole time. Cruel… so CRUEL!

So I gave him 3 peppers {and left some of the seed in}. Oooh yes I did!!!

Normally I’d use just two… but I thought he should could handle it… just like I handled the assault to my eye ball.

Top with the other slice and butter the one side.  Next place the sandwich on a preheated 375 degree griddle {butter side down} and sear until golden, don’t forget to butter the top slice!

Flip and sear on the other side until golden and crispy.

Remove from the griddle, slice in half and serve… warm… with a beer. Or a glass of milk… as these can be a bit spicy. My hubby LoVeD this sandwich, and so did I! I’m not sure what if I loved more… the mildly spicy peppers, the gooey cheese or the crispy bread! You decide… and let me know! Enjoy!!

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese

Yield: 2 sandwiches

4 large Jalapeno Peppers

3-4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened

4-5 Green Onions, minced

Black Pepper, to taste

4 slices Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese

4 slices Sourdough Bread

Butter

On a hot grill {or in your oven cranked to 450}, char the jalapenos... about 10-15 minutes.

Place charred jalapenos in a bag to steam. After about 10 minutes, gently peel of the skin. Slice off the tops and discard. Slice down one side of the pepper and carefully remove the seed and ribs of the pepper.

Preheat griddle to 375 degrees. Next combine the cream cheese, minced green onion and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread desired amount of cream cheese on one slice of bread then layer jalapeno's and cheese. Butter outer slices and griddle until golden and crispy.

* Always wear gloves while handling jalapenos or any spicy peppers.

87 Responses to “Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese”

Jessica @ How Sweet — August 15, 2011 at 11:54 am

Just when I thought grilled cheese couldn't get any better!

Allison at Novice Life — August 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ohhhhhh dang! And I have a basket of these bad boys (jalepenos) sitting on the counter at home!

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — August 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Oh my, how incredibly delicious!! My boyfriend would LOVE this :)

Bev Weidner — August 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Seriously, I am about to pass out. That is now my new favorite thing. IN LIFE.

Terry — August 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Sorry, laughed out loud about the juice to the eye and using gloves when handling hot peppers! The first time I canned salsa, I cut all the peppers without gloves. Obviously a bad idea, so I called my husband (an ER nurse) and asked, "If someone cut hot peppers without gloves, what could they do to make their hands stop burning?" I never did hear his response because he was laughing so

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — August 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Dang girl! That looks fantastic! It's 8:00 in the morning and I'm craving this sandwich!

Sprinkles of Parsley — August 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You're a genius!! I just had a grilled cheese with banana peppers yesterday and I feel jipped! I love this idea!

Michelle O — August 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Im drooling.. I want this right now. You should enter that sandwich contest with this one. The prize is 25 grand. http://makethatsandwich.com/

Aarthi — August 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

this is absolutely yummm…………….

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — August 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I don't know what to say to this rigth now other than —- I REQUIRE ONE!!!

sugarfooteats.com — August 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Love this variation! :)

Hester aka The Chef Doc — August 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I want to make this this week. It looks super scrumptious! AHHHHHHHH! Drool.

RavieNomNoms — August 15, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Yup, that looks beyond delicious! I am such a sucker for anything that has a kick to it…I bet this is just simply irresistible. I love your last photo!

Kristy Lynn — August 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm

ef yeah!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Allison at Novice Life… make these… and SOON!

Terry.. I didn't use gloves this time because I thought.. "hey they aren't raw…" My hand still burned the next morning!!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Michelle O… I'll be checking that out for sure!! Thanks :)

Jennifurla — August 15, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This is truly sent from heaven, what an awesome sandwich!

sweepsewstir — August 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it. Seriously, jalapeno poppers are awesome.

Also, I love Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. We've gotten some really excellent tips about smoking our own meat from that show.

Lauren's Latest — August 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I make a jalapeno popper pizza, but never have thought to turn it into a grilled cheese! Come to momma!

carlyklock — August 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

LOVE this spin on a grilled cheese. It looks awesome. I think my husband will force me to add bacon (poor, poor me). :)

kellie2vs — August 16, 2011 at 12:01 am

Vinny's all-time favorite food is jalapeno poppers (classy right?!?), so when I saw this post it wasn't "ooh, gotta make that soon," it was "quick! get on your flip flops we gotta run to meijer!" Made it for dinner tonight, and AWESOME!!!! Loved every bite and Vinny is really wanting to hug you! These are going into the permanent rotation!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 16, 2011 at 12:02 am

Oh so glad Kellie!! I'm already thinking about making these later in the week! LOVE THEM!

Erin — August 16, 2011 at 1:34 am

I think my husband would love these! He is picky about his grilled cheese, but I think this would exceed his expectations!

Kate — August 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm

This looks fantastic! I love the idea!

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — August 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Laurie this is absolutely amazing! This grill cheese isn't mean, its angry and its screaming my name!!! Honestly I am trying this soon! I especially love the cream cheese and green onions too! Asbolutely fabulous!! defintely enter that sandwhich contest!!!!

Diane {Created by Diane} — August 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

my mouth is watering for one of these and it's still morning :)

blackbookkitchendiaries — August 18, 2011 at 12:10 am

i am new to your blog, i am so happy to have found it. it is beautiful! thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with us!

amanda@seegirlcook — August 18, 2011 at 12:34 am

yummm…what a great rendition of a grilled cheese! brilliant.

Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist — August 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I love the spice!!!! and that you mixed two big favorites in one!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Oh man this looks good…really, really, good!

kristin eldridge photography — September 4, 2011 at 2:13 am

This pretty much trumps all grilled cheese sandwiches!

myfudo — September 4, 2011 at 2:14 am

I've been thinking what to do for our backyard jalapenos. Thanks for sharing, I could have as many of it.

Jun — September 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

It's so mouth-watering!!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is one of the MOST amazing grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever seen…OMG
    Please link up this and any of your favorite summer blog posts to my "Happy Post" Help spread the cheer :) http://su.pr/1bZ8fp

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is one of the MOST amazing grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever seen…OMG

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is one of the MOST amazing grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever seen…OMG

Natalie — September 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm

OMG! Huge fan of grilled cheese sandwiches but the added jalapeno's is such an amazing idea. I must try this recipe soon!

Lauren — September 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm

These look fantastic!!

Ashley — September 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I can't wait to make this for my husband! He's going to LOVE it!

Russell at Chasing Delicious — September 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh my gosh this sandwich looks incredible! I think I know what I'm doing for lunch now. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

Carol — September 4, 2011 at 11:57 pm

i just had this sandwich at Melt in Cleveland,OH. they battered and deep-fried theirs, bur they did not roast the peppers. they were just raw. it was stupid yummy!

ShethatisNAU — September 5, 2011 at 1:07 am

Mm, that looks so yummy! I love all things jalapeno popper infused. One of the local food trucks did a "jarapeno burger" (japanese/asian style burger w/jalapeno poppers on top) that was to die for! Perhaps something to try recreating soon? ;)

Tres Delicious — September 5, 2011 at 9:27 am

Yummy!! Yummy!! Thanks for sharing, love the photos so detailing.

Mike — September 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

It's almost 10AM and I want this for breakfast. Awesome post with amazing photography.

The Foodie Couple — September 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm

oh my goodness..that is a sandwich that needs to be made in our kitchen…all of our fav ingredients. Great idea thanks for sharing it.

Beth Michelle — September 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh wow and just when I thought grilled cheese couldnt get any better!!!

Bess — September 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This looks FABULOUS. Yum, yum.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — September 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Good gracious…this looks delicious. This is all I want right now!

SkinnyMommy — September 9, 2011 at 3:06 am

Spicy grilled cheese? I can't think of many things much better. Love it!

Eve — September 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Oh, wow. I made these (no fresh Jalapenos here in Russia, so had to use canned one, worked just as well) last night: I made two try'em out. My husband made me make two more right after.

One of the few recipes I will be reusing again and again.

Thanks!

Keeley — October 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oh how I wish I had seen this back when I had about 30 jalapenos growing on my deck! Next time…

SpAzzGiRL — October 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

We featured this awesome sandwich in our Food Trend article on our blog! Would love to feature your recipes on our site as well. Just contact us if you are interested in more info. http://is.gd/RFiCrB

Tracy — November 3, 2011 at 12:21 am

Crazy good idea! Yum!

Anonymous — November 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Words can not describe how delish this was. I am trying all of your recipes.

Thanks!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — January 4, 2012 at 1:27 am

Wow-wow-wow-wow!!!! So glad I checked out your top 10. I missed this the first go-round. The hubs and I are fans of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, too. Always leaves us drooling…as does your blog! Can't wait to try these!

amib — January 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I think I'm in LOVE!!! Yum!! Can't wait to give it a try!

Anonymous — February 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This looks wonderful. Here is a similar recipe with goat cheese that I tried the other night. It was awesome. http://www.beantownbaker.com/2012/01/jalapeno-popper-inspired-grilled-cheese.html

Anonymous — March 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Looks so yummy!! Can't wait to try.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — May 31, 2012 at 2:05 am

Just had this for dinner. What a delicious grownup grilled cheese! Loved it.

Emily — May 17, 2013 at 11:08 pm

These were so good. My husband loved it!

Rachel @ Architecture of a Mom — September 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Oh, wow, yum. I’d have to make this one for myself, since my kiddo and husband can’t handle the heat! Thanks for the great inspiration.

Elaine — October 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm

This is ingenious! I love spicy food, and I love cheese…Thank you for posting this yummy recipe…the flavors of the roasted pepper & melted cheese….ugh!

jennielynn — October 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I pinned this months ago and forgot about it. While cleaning up my boards, it was rediscovered and I had to have one. Immediately. A trip to the store and 40 minutes later, I was biting into the most delicious sandwich I’ve ever tasted.

Incredible, delicious decadence. Yummmmm.

Rae — February 8, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Yup. this was genius. added avocado. best night ever.

Michelle — March 6, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Made this for lunch today. It’s a really great idea, but next time I will not use all the cream cheese that this recipe called for. I found it to be way too much (and I really love cream cheese!). Also, this recipe could definitely benefit from some bacon.

1. Pingback: Daily Grilled Cheese Roundup: A Toaster GC, Jalapeno’s, Win Cheese… | grilledshane

2. Pingback: Ten Things {I Wish Didn’t Make Me Fat} | Somewhere in the Middle

3. Pingback: Week 9: Air Force | might as well

4. Pingback: Jeobox – 31 Grilled Cheeses That Are Better Than A Boyfriend

5. Pingback: Smexy’s Top Ten – February 7th | Smexy Books

6. Pingback: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt | booksaremyfavouriteandbest

7. Pingback: 31 Grilled Cheeses That Are Better Than A Boyfriend | digger666

8. Pingback: Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese | Taste Buddies

9. Pingback: 20 Mind-Blowingly Delicious Grilled Cheese Recipes You Must Not Miss

10. Pingback: Bring Your Own Cheese (BYOC) Party! | Whimsy Lady

11. Pingback: 28 Grilled Cheeses That Could Be Better Than Your Boyfriend. In Fact, A Lot Better.

12. Pingback: A Cheesy Round-Up: Grilled

13. Pingback: National Grilled Cheese Month! | The Healthy Adventures of JanaBanana, RD

14. Pingback: 20 Unbelievable Grilled Cheese Recipes in Honor of National Grilled Cheese Day | The Preppy Post Grad

15. Pingback: The Best Grilled Cheese Recipes | Bake Your Day

16. Pingback: 17 Kinds Of People Who Will Love The BuzzFeed Food Newsletter | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

17. Pingback: recipe reciprocity | Fortune Goodies

18. Pingback: These Grilled Cheeses are Guaranteed to Give You the Warm and Fuzzies. | Virawire

19. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich | OptimaFood

20. Pingback: 17 Kinds Of People Who Will Love The BuzzFeed Food Newsletter - TheBangkokGlobe

21. Pingback: Gourmet Recipes For The Grilled Cheese Lover In You….Mouth Watering! | UnMotivating

22. Pingback: Gourmet Recipes For The Grilled Cheese Lover In You….Mouth Watering!