Bacon Potato Hash

Shall we start the day off with some potato hash? Yeah I kinda thought so.

Let’s face it. Any recipe can achieve greatness by adding bacon. Am I right or what? Add bacon to plain old mac & cheese… and it’s not so plain anymore! Salad, slaw, burgers, pancakes and cookies… Just. Add. Bacon!

5949029567_1cf0898a7a_o

That’s exactly what I did with my recipe for potato hash. Not only is there crispy bacon pieces tossed in at the end; but the shallots, green pepper and potatoes actually cook in reserved bacon fat. Yes! Glorious, smoky, bacon fat!!

Oh how I love it so! Any leftover bacon fat I have is cooled then stored in my fridge for things like roasting vegetables and making these chips. It’s a total “pantry” necessity in my kitchen.

Here are the goods. It doesn’t get any easier than this… for cereals.

My {almost 10-year-old} taught me that cute word-that’s-not-really-a-word. Yeah…  I was like really, REALLY?

She got the same reaction from me when she told me to “chillax”. Promptly followed by a dramatic rolling of the eyes. {she totally didn’t see me do it though}

Okay-dokie, so I started by frying up some bacon, please do it in a 10 inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet for ultimate browning! Cook up about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound. I cooked up a full pound, but I snacked on seven one or two pieces. It’s sort of impossible not to.

After the bacon has cooked, pour off all but 2 tablespoons or so of the bacon fat, then remove off the heat.

Peel the potato and then carefully slice the potatoes in half.

Place the potato halves into a large pot filled with room temperature water.

Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for about 10 minutes.

While the spuds are par-cooking it’s a great idea to prep all the other ingredients so everything is ready to go. This is what I always use to struggle with in my earlier cooking days… I was always so unprepared! I’d be all red, sweaty and frustrated… not pretty.

So I started with the shallot; peel, halve, slice and dice up two large shallots. I love shallots… but if you don’t have any… use a yellow onion.

Set aside for a sec.

Cut a good size green bell pepper in half, remove any seeds and whitish membranes aka ribs, and slice into strips. Red peppers would totally work well in this recipe too!

Then dice the green pepper the same size as the shallots and set aside.

Once the potatoes have simmered for 10 minutes, remove to a colander and run cold water over top to stop the cooking process and cool them off so they are safe to handle and you won’t burn your finger tips off!

Dice the potatoes to 1/2 inch cubes.

Heat the bacon renderings to medium heat and add a tablespoon of butter… Everything tastes better with buttah and BACON!

Once the butter is melted and the pan is hot, add in the shallots.

Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.

Then toss in the diced green pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Stirring just until the green peppers start to soften. OMG!! This instantly filled my house with the best aroma… and I didn’t even add any seasonings yet.

Bacon + shallots & green pepper =  insta-house-that-smells-good!

Now that the veggies are soft, add in the dried thyme…

Season with salt and pepper.

Now it’s time to add the cubed potatoes. Try not to drop any onto the floor!

Toss… then leave it be. It needs to brown… so walk away… but not too far so they don’t burn. Got it?

Stir occasionally until the potatoes are tender. The time frame is maybe 15-20 minutes… it all depends on how hot your pan is and how big {or small} the potato cubes are.

My husband was glad to offer his services as zee-taste-tester.

The minute the potatoes are tender, add in some crumbled bacon. As much or as little as you’d like.

Toss and heat through.

It’s pretty amazing how bacon can be so magical… it’s kind of like cheating, because bacon would make an old shoe taste good!

This can be served with dinner as a side.  Or… with a fried egg on top and garnished with some green onion and sriracha… if sriracha is your thing…  if not, maybe ketchup then?

I know you will love this… it’s easy, delicious and HELLO there’s bacon!!

Cheers!

Bacon Potato Hash

Yield: 4 servings

1/2 pound Bacon {or more to taste}

2 tablespoons Reserved Bacon Fat

1 tablespoon Butter

2 Shallots, diced

1/2 of a Green Bell Pepper, diced

2 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut in half lengthwise

1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves

Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper, to taste

Cook about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound of bacon and reserve about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat, remove off of the heat and set aside.

Mean while heat the potato halves in a large pot of room temperature water and bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes. Potatoes should still be a little firm and not mushy. After the 10 minutes, drain into a colander and cool down with cold tap water. Once cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

In the same pan, reheat the bacon fat with the tablespoon of butter between medium-medium low heat. Saute the diced shallot for 5 minutes until soft, then add the green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add the thyme, salt, pepper and the potatoes. Stir once and continue to cook the hash stirring occasionally for about 10-15 more minutes or until potatoes are cooked all the way through. Lastly add crumbled bacon pieces to potato hash, toss and serve.

*To achieve better browning, use a cast iron or stainless pans. Non-stick pans won't help very much with browning.

33 Responses to “Bacon Potato Hash”

Pretend Chef — July 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Bacon does make everything better. I don't hear any objections to that one. This is my kinda breakfast hash. Yummy!

Anonymous — July 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

It's "sriracha," not "siracha."

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks… I knew it looked wrong! LOL

Mandi — July 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Dogs can't eat potatoes!

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — July 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm

What a great recipe, this looks soo delicious! My boyfriend would LOVE this :)

Vedette — July 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm

We always do hash corned beef at our home, this would be something new to us and im sure to try this on the weekend. Thanks for this share.

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Mandi! I had no idea!! Thanks… but not to worry… no potatoes were dropped in the making of this recipe!

SavithaRaj's Spice Land — July 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm
    Hester aka The Chef Doc — July 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Oh yes! Potato hash is one of my favorite things to eat! I just made a hashy sort of thing? Is it? Well, it's got diced potatoes and meat in it… hmm. That's something to think about. But if you're a potato lover like I am, you'll love it, to! It's my empamosa filling (inspired by Tiffkey!) that is just va-va-voom: http://bit.ly/pd9ZOK Happy Monday!

PS–How

Anonymous — July 25, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Hold on. Bacon, Kosher salt. Why?

Anonymous — July 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

your food blog is better than 99% of the crap I stumble.

For the potatoes…bake the potatoes first till they are just done, cool then peel and either cube them or run them through a cheese grater for hashbrowns.

they will have less water in them and brown crispier.

Jason

Michelle O — July 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Totally saving this one for a breakfast for dinner night :)

Lizzy — July 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm

My family LOVES potatoes! I'm tired of the same old ideas on how to incorporate them into dinner. I know they'd love your hash…thank you!!!

Erin — July 25, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Yum!! Everything is better with bacon! This hash looks perfect for a side for anything!

Kim Bee — July 26, 2011 at 3:02 am

Now this is a meal I can make for breakfast and not feel ripped off. So delicious.

S.V. — July 26, 2011 at 5:15 am

This looks so good I love a good hash and everything is better with bacon.

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — July 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hash Always reminds me of weekends camping with my dad as a kid. I'd love to bring this into the home when I can't get out to the woods :) And all that bacon, I'm drooling…

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — July 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Just exactly my kind of recipe! Can't go wrong with potatoes and bacon. Yum.

Nichole — July 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Great post Laurie – can't wait to make it.

And dear anonymous "jason" please leave your cooking tips on your own blog – k? thanks.

kew21961 — August 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

this looks FAB! And your step by step and pix are wonderful. Keep up the great work!

Joe — August 6, 2011 at 1:36 am

Made these today, (added a bit of garlic as well). Were absolutely fantastic!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 6, 2011 at 2:08 am

OHHH I love that you added garlic! Thanks for giving feedback… it's always appreciated! Thanks Joe!

Dawnie — August 24, 2011 at 2:16 am

Had this tonight. Added mushrooms to the sauteed veggie mix. It was fantabulous, but I would like it better without the thyme. I'll try adding garlic instead next time :)

BigBearswife — September 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm

mmmperfect!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — September 29, 2011 at 3:32 am

Oh this looks SO good!! Love anything bacon…especially with fried potatoes. Mmmm……

Anonymous — October 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

This is exactly what I make for breakfast all the time. Except I over cook the bacon and really crisp up the potatoes, then add an over easy egg on top, and LOTS of malt vinegar…. yum.

Brandon @ The Yummy Bits — November 15, 2011 at 1:38 am

Wow! This looks delicious! What camera do you use? This is my first time visiting your blog and your photography is stunning and crisp!

-Brandon
    @theyummybits

Another Brandon :o — March 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I find that boiling make it too soft for my liking- you actually don't need too. Just sauteed your shallots and peppers, then toss in your potato cubes on a medium-high heat to brown. Let them sit long enough to brown as much as possible, lower heat and simmer to soften up. Add spices last and let those just simmer in for a few minutes near the end. Things like potatoes, rice and dried, fresh

Our Small Hours — May 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Trying this for dinner tonight! Looks yummy!

Lillian — April 1, 2014 at 7:46 am

My family loved this recipe. My son is a picky eater. If he sees that I have put onion or green peppers in a meal, then he refuses to eat the meal. He smelled the potato hash cooking, and he came to see what smelled so good. He saw the green peppers and onions and said, “but it smells sooooo good.” He reluctantly tried a little taste during Sunday brunch, and had not one but two servings of the hash.

I too enjoy making foods from scratch, and I love your website. I can’t wait to try the peanut butter and raspberry jam recipes next. Thank you for your love of foods from scratch, and thank you for this awesome recipe that may have turned my son into a not-so-picky eater.

1. Pingback: Long Distance Father's Day | Mangoes and Miles

2. Pingback: How to Pair Fine Wine With… Bacon (Yea, You Read That Right) | My Website

3. Pingback: Long Distance Father's Day | My great Wordpress blog