Creamy Lemon Chive Farfalle

This creamy lemon chive farfalle is dreamy and luscious. Fresh lemon and snipped chives and a burst of flavor in this creamy dish.

Chives are a subtle flavoring herb. They offer a simple onion flavor whether it is to the top of potatoes or in a salad dressing. I currently have chives growing in our non-garden garden, that returned again this year… which my daughter picks and chews on while playing catch with her dad. 🙂

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com

With spring showing its lovely face every so often, I was in the mood for a light pasta dish. I wanted a pasta that I can make in a pinch and serve with a light salad, some crusty bread and a crisp dry white wine. And Sauvignon blanc is my favorite dry white wine! It’s crisp, dry and yet surprisingly refreshing which works well not only in this dish, but served alongside of it {and also while you’re cooking}!

The yummy ingredients.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Finely dice two small or 1 larger shallot along with enough chives to measure out being 1/4 cup.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
In a large skillet; pour a tablespoon of extra light olive oil and sauté shallots until soft.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Add two teaspoons of flour.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Cook the flour until lightly golden, maybe a minute.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Pour in a half a glass of wine… reserve the other half for sipping while cooking.

But if wine in your food isn’t your thing then try chicken or vegetable stock.

Stir the flour and wine mixture until thick and flour is dissolved.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Add in a cup of heavy cream.

Add chives…

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Then add the one tablespoon of lemon juice, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Stir well.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Reserve a cup of the pasta water before draining and add the pasta to the sauce.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Toss and thin out with a little pasta water to your liking.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
Grate about 1 teaspoons or more of lemon zest.

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com
And a whole bunch {approximately 1/2 cup} of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

This is a deliciously light pasta dish, but but if you want to make it more into a meal, then pair it with your favorite protein i.e. chicken, salmon or shrimp!

Enjoy! And if you give this Lemon Chive Farfalle recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Lemon Chive Farfalle l SimplyScratch.com

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Yield: 4 entree portions or 6-8 side dish portions

• 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Instructions

1. Prepare the pasta according to package directions, reserving a cup of pasta water.
  2. Mean while sauté the diced shallots in olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Once the shallots have softened, sprinkle with two teaspoons of flour and cook for one minute.
  4. Stir in white wine until flour is dissolved and bring to a simmer.
  5. Then reduce heat to medium-low and add heavy cream, chives, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Grate a teaspoon of lemon zest and 1/2 cup Parmesan over the pasta and toss.
  6. Thin out with a little of the reserved pasta water, then divide among four plates and garnish more Parmesan if desired.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 511mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 12g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.

27 Responses to “Creamy Lemon Chive Farfalle”

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Oh my goodness this looks absolutely amazing!!! Cream AND Sauvagnon blanc?? And chives?? Really you're killing me here 🙂 Why oh why don't I have heavy cream in the fridge RIGHT NOW?? I want this. Badly!

Leila Hamilton — April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

wow, beautifully simple. looks so delicious!
    Leila
    @BarbarianTable

Laurie @simplyscratch — April 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Andrea… heavy cream is my new "staple" grocery item! 🙂

Laurie @simplyscratch — April 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Why thank you Leila!

Parsley Sage — April 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Ha! I love the step of reserving some wine for sipping. Well done! Excellent recipe with some truly stunning (and salivation-inducing) photos 🙂

cindy — April 25, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I have a bumper crop of chives, this looks yummy. Thanks for the wine substitution. I am making this tonight.

Pretend Chef — April 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Perfect for a "Meatless Monday" meal. I too made a pasta dish for our dinner last night and paired it with a side of green beans. This pasta looks and sounds so delicious and creamy. Yummy!

Meg — April 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm

First time to your site and this looks so good. I will have to make this next week

Kacee — April 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm

This looks very good and fast! I love cooking with wine, it adds such a nice flavor. Chive flowers are also edible and add a nice color to salads.

Jennifer — April 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm

You've found my weakness! Pasta, cream and wine! How did you know?! 😉

Sandra — April 27, 2011 at 12:43 am

Amazing, gorgeous and sooo so so delicious! Great photos!!!!

Jennifurla — April 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

oh cool, Pioneer woman linked to you!

Amy — April 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I am so making this for dinner tonight! I could eat it RIGHT NOW!

Kelly — April 28, 2011 at 2:03 am

Ok so I MUST make this ASAP! Looks fantastic! So glad to be your new follower! 🙂

Susan Lindquist — April 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm

What a nice and easy side dish! Love the tangy creamy sauce and chives at this time of year taste just heavenly!

Kita — April 30, 2011 at 2:35 am

Ive recently discovered my love of lemon. I used to really dislike it but its growing on my rapidly. I'm using it in things and right now I really want a fork full of this pasta!

Marie @ Myculinarycalling — May 6, 2011 at 8:55 pm

My new mother and father-in-law are coming for dinner tonight and I have been so so so stuck on what to make them! (this is their first time over for dinner so my desire to present something yummy is quite high!) So I am definitely going to make this! I even bought fresh chives yesterday!
    Thank-you for having such great dinner recipes! When ever I get stuck I almost always check your blog

Jamie — May 8, 2011 at 1:16 am

This was delicious! I added a pound of steamed fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces, and it was a perfect spring dinner! My three year old gobbled it down! Thank you!

Aarthi — May 11, 2011 at 7:25 am

This looks so good..Creamy goodness..I came across your blog now,WOW what a blog you have,The pic are amazing and ur writing is so good..i am glad to be a follower of you..please keep up the hardwork…I have noted some recipes from your blog ,i will try soon and tell you…

BTW Please visit my blog and i would be glad if you follow my blog too..
    http://

Dana — May 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm

This was divine! Thank you for the recipe. I added grilled tofu that I marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and honey. ( I also used Mimic Creme instead of dairy cream) Scrumptious!

thedrivencook.com — June 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hi! I made this and it turned out so delicious! I didn't measure anything- just used your recipe as a base and it turned out fantastic! I made it with breaded chicken. Great job!

heresthediehl — September 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

made this tonight…delicious! my only substitution was half and half for heavy cream, and it worked great!

tangeria — April 20, 2012 at 12:56 am

i made this and modified it to 3/4 cup fat free plain greek yogurt thinned with a 1/4 cup fat free half and half, and used whole wheat pasta and it was a major hit with my diabetic husband. (and me!) super delicious, and less guilt! =)

JJ — April 24, 2012 at 2:00 am

Just made this dish this evening and it was delicious! Everything we hoped for and more! Next time, I am thinking that adding some capers next time would compliment this sauce brilliantly!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — December 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm

You had me at lemon and cream. This looks amazing! Dreaming of spring…

cassandra — January 7, 2014 at 12:17 am

Just made this tonight. It was incredible! A rousing success with my whole family! Super light despite being pasta!

1. Pingback: Meatless Monday | Lemon-Chive Farfalle | Baked Northwest