Sea Salt Saltine Toffee

While meandering through one of my favorite blogs The Parsley Thief, I stumbled upon the title of a recipe for Saltine Toffee. My first thought was what the…? I vaguely remember someone telling me about this sort of thing before but they lost me at the saltine cracker part. But seeing this on Kate’s site with the help of her lovely photos put it all into perspective for me. Crispy, salty and sweet. Helloooo… how could I have been so dense? This was a perfect combo!

finished

Since the invention of chocolate covered pretzels I’ve been a HUGE fan of… well, chocolate covered anything. But this takes it to a whole-nother level with the toffee. I really dig the simplicity of the ingredients, something about it only having 4 ingredients really jived with me so I placed this in my forever growing stack of “recipes to make”… and it’s time was up. I needed some salty-sweet goodness and fast. In a last minute decision I decided that I wanted to sprinkle it with some sea salt, and Oh-Em-Gee, it’s a treat so delicious that you won’t believe you taste buds!

Now although I didn’t follow her recipe directions to the exact “T”… here is her version, you will see I didn’t stray too far. Enjoy!

Here are the main 4 ingredients. Sea salt is optional but encouraged ;).

Heavily foil and heavily butter/grease a {half} sheet pan.

Use enough saltines to fill up the space {about a sleeve and a half}.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees; and in a heavy 2qt sauce pan add in the butter and dark brown sugar.

Stir and melt over medium heat until it’s all hot and bubbly.

Pour evenly over the saltines. Do NOT be tempted to put your finger in that hot stream of toffee… it will hurt. Wait for it to cool on the spatula then attempt.

Spread so every inch of every saltine is covered.

Sprinkle on the two cups of chocolate chips and place in a preheated oven for 5 minutes. This is where I must not have read Kate’s directions well… she says to place in the oven for 5 minutes before sprinkling with chocolate chips, but my error proves either way will work!

Once out of the oven spread the chocolate with an off-set spatula.

Before placing it in the fridge to set…

I grabbed about a teaspoon maybe more of the sea salt I used in {and on} those Salted Fudge Brownies.

And I sprinkled it over top. Now you’ll want to let the pan cool before you put it into the fridge to set, that should take about 10 minutes or so.

Once in the fridge, it should only take about 30 minutes to set… just to get the caramel and chocolate to cool and harden.

Once that happens you can break it all up into whatever size chunks you want.

Who’d ever thought 4 ingredients could taste so good?

I’d nver believe you could eat saltine crackers as a dessert? When I was a kid we would eat them with butter or crushed in our soup. That’s it. Who knew its possibilities?

Now whose going to help me eat the rest of the sheet pan? Any takers?? Inbox me. ;) No really, you just store it in an airtight container for a week and you’re good for some delicious snacking material.

Sea Salt Saltine Toffee

Yield: one half sheet pan of toffee

1 1/2 sleeves of Salted Saltine Crackers

1 1/2 sticks of Unsalted Butter, plus more for pans

1 1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar

2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips

Large Flaked Sea Salt {optional}

Slightly & lovingly adapted from Katie of The Parsley Thief

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heavily line a half sheet pan with foil and grease corner to corner with a little butter.

Lay the crackers out onto the sheet pan, in an even layer.

Heat the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour the toffee over the crackers, and then use a spatula to smooth it out over the entire surface. Sprinkle with the milk chocolate chips and transfer to the oven to bake for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for a minute.

Now the chocolate chips have begun to soften and melt. Use an off-set spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the toffee. Sprinkle with about a teaspoon or more to taste of the large flaked sea salt, if you choose.

Once the pan has cooled slightly, place it in the fridge until the toffee and chocolate are set... about 30 minutes. Break it up into any size pieces you'd like and serve. The toffee can be stored in an airtight container {chilled, or in a cool, dry spot} for up to one week.

21 Responses to “Sea Salt Saltine Toffee”

Pretend Chef — March 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I could not be trusted with these. Last night I did something similiar while binging in front of the tv. When will I ever learn? I grabbed oyster crackers and M&Ms and went overboard so I know my thighs wouldn't stand a chance with this in the house. YUMMY!

Laurie @simplyscratch — March 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Lol Rochelle!! It's that salty/sweet thing… gets me every time!

Adora's Box — March 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm

We called Saltine "feel well" cracker because we eat it when we didn't feel like eating anything else. We dipped it in condensed milk which was yum. This reminds me of millionaire's shortbread but with a salty kick. Fab!

GRAND MAMAA — March 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Excuse me….do you see my hand up in the air waving it in a frantic life-or-death way???? Didn't I already offer to be your taste-tester before? Looks great…if I could…I'd make some right now!

Jean — March 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks!

Katrina — March 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I'm just in love with your pictures! I've seen these around but have never made them. Thankfully I have had the good fortune to taste tham and they truly are delicious! I love your take on them! ♥- Katrina

Christina — March 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

YUM! The sea salt looks like little gems sitting on top and sparkling!

Evan — March 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Beautiful recipe and photos! These would be addicting to me I think

Evan B — March 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm

My roommate in college would make these when we needed a snack (not very healthy ha) but I really need to make some.. they are soo good!

Lizzy — March 3, 2011 at 1:14 am

I have the same fear…making these and eating them all myself. I'm a sucker for toffee…yum.

Pam — March 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Great recipe! I just made this not too long ago, they're delicious!!!

Lori — March 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I'd heard about this around Christmas but I'd heard people calling it Christmas Crack. Well, when I went to my mom's for Christmas she told me that one of her customers (she's a mail carrier) gave her something that was yummy and she couldn't quite figure out what it was. OMG!!! This was exactly what she had. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her she

Kita — March 4, 2011 at 4:02 am

This looks like a great dessert to have on hand for company. I would get a kick out of telling people that it was saltines! They'd be shocked. :)

Our Eyes Eat First — March 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm

what an elegant dessert! you have definitely elevated the lowly saltine with this one : j

Katrina — March 6, 2011 at 3:39 am

I just voted for you over at Babble.com! ♥- Katrina

amanda — March 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

ohhh, delicious. i'm a huge lover of the sweet/salty thing. love your addition of sea salt on top!

Lloyd Taganahan — March 9, 2011 at 2:05 am

this looks tasty! i'm gonna try and make this tonight so i can have something to munch on with my coffee.

bakingforhersoul.com — April 17, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I've made these so many times—they're so simple, so addictive, and everybody eats them up. When you tell them how to make them, they're always like,"REALLY? That's it?" I just got a box of Saltines for when my stomach wasn't feeling well recently–and I know what I'm doing with the leftovers. :)

Kate — August 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

My mom's been making this my whole life and it might be my favorite dessert ever! Try making it with semisweet chocolate chips, its divine!

Tilly — December 1, 2011 at 5:52 am

Ok so I was seriously about to break out the super intimidating candy thermometer and the boring Paula Dean toffee recipe (no offence to her, I love the woman) But then I came upon this! OoooOoooOooh toffee but not so boring with the saltines? Woah. I gotta try it. And of course you added sea salt so I'm sold just on that. Oh and I'm returning the candy thermometer and making these for

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Hi Tilly… actually you don't *need* the offset spatula, but it helps make the spreading A LOT easier! Enjoy!