Sweet and salty, this sea salt saltine toffee is simple and incredibly easy. Who knew such deliciousness could come from just a few simple ingredients.
Last, week I stumbled upon the title of a recipe for Saltine Toffee. My first thought was what the…? I vaguely remember someone telling me about this sort of thing before but they lost me at the saltine cracker part. But seeing this recipe also came with a few photos, really put it all into perspective for me. Crispy, salty and sweet. Helloooo… how could I have been so dense? This was a perfect combo!
Since the invention of chocolate covered pretzels I’ve been a HUGE fan of… well, chocolate covered anything. But this takes it to a whole-nother level with the toffee. I really dig the simplicity of the ingredients, something about it only having 4 ingredients really jived with me so I placed this in my forever growing stack of “recipes to make”… and it’s time was up. I needed some salty-sweet goodness and fast. In a last minute decision I decided that I wanted to sprinkle it with some sea salt, and Oh-Em-Gee, it’s a treat so delicious that you won’t believe you taste buds!
TO Make This Sea Salt Saltine Toffee You Will Need:
- saltine crackers
- dark brown sugar
- milk chocolate chips
- sea salt
Heavily foil and heavily butter/grease a half sheet pan.
Use enough saltines to fill up the space (about a sleeve and a half).
Preheat your oven to 350° and in a heavy 2 quart sauce pan add in the butter and dark brown sugar.
Stir and melt over medium heat until it’s all hot and bubbly.
Pour evenly over the saltines. Try not be tempted to put your finger in that hot stream of toffee… it will hurt. Wait for it to cool on the spatula then attempt.
Spread so every inch of every saltine is covered.
Evenly sprinkle 2 cups chocolate chips over top and place in a preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Immediately when the pan is out of the oven spread the chocolate with an off-set spatula.
Before placing it in the fridge to set…
I grabbed about a teaspoon maybe more of the sea salt I used in (and on) those Salted Fudge Brownies.
And sprinkle it over top. Now you’ll want to let the pan cool before you put it into the fridge to set, that should take about 10 minutes or so.
Pop this into the fridge, it should only take about 30 minutes to set. It’s the slowest 30 minutes just waiting to get the caramel and chocolate to cool and harden.
When that happens you can break it all up into whatever size chunks you want.
Who’d ever thought 4 ingredients could taste so good?
I’d never believe you could eat saltine crackers as a dessert. When I was a kid we would eat them with butter or crushed in our soup. That’s it. Who knew its possibilities?
Now whose going to help me eat the rest of the sheet pan?
Sea Salt Saltine Toffee
- 60 salted saltine crackers, or about 1½ sleeves
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Heavily line a half sheet pan with foil and grease corner to corner with a little butter.
- Lay the crackers out onto the sheet pan, in an even layer.
- Heat the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Pour the toffee over the crackers, and then use a spatula to smooth it out over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle with the milk chocolate chips and transfer to the oven to bake for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for a minute.
- Now the chocolate chips have begun to soften and melt. Use an off-set spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the toffee.
- Sprinkle with about a teaspoon or more to taste of the large flaked sea salt, if you choose.
- Once the pan has cooled slightly, place it in the fridge until the toffee and chocolate are set... about 30 minutes. Break it up into any size pieces you'd like and serve. The toffee can be stored in an airtight container (either refrigerated or in a cool dry spot) for up to one week.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!