Simple Rice Pilaf

I am finally getting around to posting my Chicken Shawarma recipes… Honestly between working, kids and Project Food Blog, I’ve been very busy! Not to mention that today is my youngest daughters 6th birthday… I can barely type that without wanting to blubber like a baby.

It’s a Girl!!

Six years ago… I was twenty four… I had a 3 year old, I was only married for 4 years and I was a very pregnant and a-not-so-small 170{ish} lbs… YIKES! It was an over cast day… we checked in to the hospital around 9:00 am, and she was born at 2:23 that afternoon. The easiest delivery EVER!! Unlike my first baby who was almost 10lbs! This baby was a teeny 7lbs 13 oz. and a piece of cake! She had a ton of dark hair and the smoothest skin ever… not even a mark. Except for a tiny birth mark under her left eye. She brought us great joy that day and continues to do that today. Happy Birthday Malloree!  I love you!

Just look at them! Now I’m really blubbering!!!

Okay… let’s talk pilaf. Since I was a kid I thought rice pilaf sounded grody. Now keep in mind I never actually tasted it… it just sounded gross. Pilaf… I mean c’mon can you blame me?! But as soon as I found out that you fry the noodles in butter… I was sold! Why didn’t they tell me this when I was a kid?

You can use vermicelli noodles and break those up into tiny pieces if you want… I believe that is “traditional” but if you don’t want the hassle, try using orzo! It was really fun to make… well as much fun as making rice can be… but the frying in butter really makes the rice look fancy! Give it a try! You’ll be hooked!

To start off you’ll need; Butter, Chicken Broth, Orzo and Long Grain Rice. You will need some water too!

Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium to medium high heat until it melts and gets hot and bubbly.

Toss in the Orzo…

When the orzo turns a little golden throw in the rice and stir to combine.

Pour in the broth and water. Give it a good stir and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a heavy lid. If your lid isn’t heavy use a plate that fits the pot. Cook for 15 minutes at a simmer.

*Test the plate out before you begin to make sure!

After the 15 minutes are up, remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 more minutes.

And when you pull the lid or plate off… VIOLA!! Beauteous!!

Fluff with a fork… and take a bite… or two… or three, then season with salt and pepper if it needs it!… And now pat yourself on the back!

This is a great side to chicken or fish!

Simple Rice Pilaf

Yield: 4 cups

½ sticks Unsalted Butter

1 cup Orzo Pasta

1 cup Long Grain Rice

14-½ ounces, fluid Chicken Broth

¾ cups Water

Salt And Pepper, to taste

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan until hot and bubbly.

Add the orzo pasta and “fry” until lightly golden in color.

Add the cup of rice, stir.

Pour in the chicken broth and water, stir and bring back to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a heavy lid and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Fluff with fork and serve!

23 Responses to “Simple Rice Pilaf”

gingerbreadcake — October 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm

The rice pilaf looks soooo incredibly delicious. I've always wanted to make homemade rice pilaf but never found a simple and tasty recipe until now! Thank you so much for the recipe, I'm seriously making that tonight. I can't wait!

Happy Birthday to your daughter! :)

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Aw Thanks!! I hope you enjoy the recipe!! Let me know how it goes!! :)~Laurie

CrystalsCozyKitchen — October 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This looks good – I had a roommate whose family moved to the US from Columbia when she was 7 and she made her rice about like this. YUM!

BakingWithoutABox — October 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Awww such sweet photos of your girls. They're lovely. And that rice pilaf is lovely too. Mine gets sticky. Will have to try this.

Yeşim Çağlar — October 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Happy Birthday Malloree.. God bless you and your kids..
    the pilaf you cook is how we regularly cook in Turkey.. it seems good.. and you know in Turkey we say ,if you can cook pilaf properly ,means you can cook anything.. this is a common thought here:) and your pilaf seems so succesul..

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — October 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Happy birthday to your little one!

the rice pilaf looks amazing – so fluffy! I have all the necessary ingredients for this one too :) Can't wait to try it!

Kay Heritage — October 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

My youngest will be 7 this Sunday. I love October babies! Great recipe!

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Amanda! That is how mine use to be… until someone told me about using the heavy plate trick!! PS.. love your site!! :)

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Andrea~ let me know how it goes!! :)

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 7, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Kay!! …and yes October babies are GREAT!! :)

Nichole B — October 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yummy! Your one lucky mama.

Amanda — October 8, 2010 at 12:38 am

yummm! happy birthday to your girl, she's so cute!!

-amanda

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 8, 2010 at 12:55 am

Thanks Amanda!! :)

Karen — October 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I've never actually made rice pilaf from scratch…always cheated with a box. But this looks SO good, and you make it look so easy! I've got to give this a try…thanks for sharing!

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Karen.. to be honest it is easy… you'll see!

Sarah Lynn — October 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I have a silly question. Do you boil the rice and the pasta before you sautee it in the butter? I would imagine not, but I can't be sure. Help!

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm

No prob! Tost the orzo {pasta} in the butter first, then add the uncooked rice. Pour in the broth and water. Bring the liquids to a boil, cover {with a heavy lid} and reduce heat to a simmer {medium low}. Remove after 15-20 minutes and let sit for 10… then fluff with fork! Hope this helps :)

Krista — January 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love your recipe. It’s a keeper! I actually adapted it for the rice cooker ;) Thanks so much for posting this.

Stephanie — July 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm

How would this taste if you added half a bouillon cube? Either chicken or beef. I think it would add some flavor, but would it be too much?

• simplyscratch replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Hi Stephanie! I say adding one couldn’t hurt :)

Kari — November 22, 2013 at 12:04 am

Tried this tonight and it turned out great! Next time I will definitely add a few seasonings to it, but it is perfect as is also!

Imanivon — January 1, 2014 at 6:50 pm

My sister gave me some orzo this summer and I haven’t been able to cook with it. Well, I just made the rice pilaf and it turned out great! In addition, I added some onions and celery to mine. The liquid did simmer out before the rice was cooked, so I added about 1/2 a cup of chicken stock and kept on low heat until done. Thank you for this recipe!!

1. Pingback: Grains for Thought: Homemade Rice Pilaf | Foodie Fox