Make plans this weekend to bake up a batch of these incredible Strawberry Lemon Lavender Crumb Muffins! A winning combo of sweet strawberries, bright lemon and delicate notes of lavender. All of which are baked into a moist and crumbly-topped muffin. If you’re feeling it, drizzle them with a lemony sour cream glaze. Delish!
I’m so feeling these muffins.
I originally had plans to bake up some form of strawberry bread, but that morphed into muffins. Then I recalled this muffin recipe and since I can never say no to a crumb topping, I went for it. Adding lemon zest and lavender into the strawberry muffin batter. The whole shebang transpired in a series of daydreams and then into what you see before you.
It took all the will power I have (which normally is enough to fill a thimble) to not eat two of these muffins at once. So yes, this was my breakfast and lunch. I don’t regret it. Because ^^^ those are the only muffin tops I want. knowwhatimean?
Lavender in desserts is phenomenal. If you’re new to baking with lavender, then let this muffin recipe be the one you start with. It’s not overwhelmingly purfume-y but it does have a subtle floral note that works perfectly with the lemon and strawberry.
If you lovely souls have my cookbook, then you may recall a certain lemon lavender crème brulee — AMAZING! Just be sure you buy culinary lavender or else I can’t be held responsible.
Let’s roll. errr muffin?
To Make These Strawberry Lemon Lavender Crumb Muffins You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- granulated sugar
- zest from 1 medium lemon
- unsweetened all natural applesauce
- grapeseed oil (or other light and flavorless oil)
- pure vanilla extract
- fresh strawberries
- culinary lavender (buds)
Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃).
Start by whisking together the 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set it off to the side.
In a separate bowl, use your fingers to massage the zest of 1 lemon with 1 cup sugar together. It should resemble wet sand.
Crack 2 large eggs into a bowl. Then add 1/4 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup oil and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
Add in the lemon sugar and whisk to combine. Then in goes 2 cups chopped strawberries and 1-1/2 teaspoons culinary lavender buds, switch over to a rubber spatula and stir to combine.
Lastly add in the flour mixture.
Mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet.
Divide the muffin batter among the paper cups that are lining standard muffin pan. Firmly tap the pan onto your countertop to settle the batter and remove any air pockets.
Now it’s time to make the crumb topping. Start by adding 3/4 cup of flour, 1/3 cup light brown sugar and 5 tablespoons cold (doesn’t have to be ice cold) butter into a medium bowl.
Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Keep going until the butter is barely noticeable and the mixture resembles wet sand (similar to the sugar from earlier).
Use your fingers to pinch pieces of the crumb topping and then scatter it generously over the top of the muffins.
Keep in mind, these muffins will rise and the tops will spread a bit, picking up the nearby crumbs. Now, just slide the muffin pan onto the middle rack of your preheated 350° oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean after being inserted in the middle of a muffin.
Can you smell how amazing these are?
Check out those muffin tops! Aka the best part of the muffin.
The glaze is simple: 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or enough lemon juice until a desired consistency is reached.
Then simply drizzle it all over the tops of each muffin.
Feel free to drizzle a little more glaze after each bite too. I. Can’t. Get. Enough.
Click Here For More Muffin Recipes!
Strawberry Lemon Lavender Crumb Muffins
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, or any light flavorless oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1½ teaspoons culinary lavender
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
FOR THE SOUR CREAM GLAZE:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or more as needed
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃).
- Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. Then use your fingers to rub the sugar with the lemon zest until it resembles wet sand, set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla together. Add in the sugar and whisk until incorporated. Then switch to a rubber spatula and stir in the strawberries and lavender.
- Lastly, add the flour mixture into the bowl and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the muffin batter into the lined muffin pan, tap the pan firmly on the counter to get rid of any air pockets and then set aside.
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- Measure and add the flour, brown sugar and butter into a medium bowl. Use a pastry blender and cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles wet sand. Use your fingers to pinch pieces of the crumb topping and top each unbaked muffin with an generous and even amount.
- Slide the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester after inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before drizzling with glaze.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- Measure and add the sour cream to a bowl. Sift in the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and enough lemon juice until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!