Spicy chipotle shrimp skewers are smoky, spicy and tastes amazing! Feel free to adjust the chipotles depending on your preferred spice level.
I. Love. You.
Did I also mention I love it spicy?! I’ve been on a real spicy kick lately. There is something about heat and flavor of chipotle peppers in adobo that has me quite obsessed. And it doesn’t even matter if it’s breakfast, because I can make breakfast spicy too!
The spice factor of these shrimp is about a 6 out of 10. My six year old thought they were hot and asked me to make her a pb & j. My husband and 9 year old loved them and I personally didn’t feel the need to chug a glass of milk after eating them. There is just constant warmth that stays on your taste buds, but feel free to take out one of the chipotle peppers and just add a few more teaspoons of adobo.
To make these Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Skewers You Will Need:
- olive oil
- crushed red pepper
- cayenne pepper
- chipotle peppers with adobo sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- peeled and deveined shrimp (16/20 per pound)
Then just smash and peel the 3 cloves of garlic.
Toss them into a food processor, a mini one works awesome for this!
Then along with two chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, about 2 teaspoons.
Add the kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
To that add 1 tablespoon paprika and the fresh cilantro. I eyeball my cilantro… about a tablespoon of fresh cilantro will do.
*note: as of recently, I’ve omitted the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper from the recipe. There’s enough spice from the chipotles, that it’s unnecessary to add these spices.
Lastly, pour in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil…
Squeeze in the juice of one whole lemon.
Puree until the garlic, chipotle peppers and cilantro are no longer in large pieces.
Place the cleaned shrimp into a large bag or bowl.
Pour the marinade over top.
Then squish the bag until the sauce coats the shrimp evenly and let those hang out for 20 minutes.
Next, while those were marinating, I grilled up some fresh pineapple rings! I love grilled pineapple! Have you ever had grilled pineapple? It’s so delicious!
Then, while the pineapple was grilling I skewered the shrimp, about six per skewer. If using wooden ones then soak them in water for about an hour beforehand, this will keep them from catching fire.
Next, place on a preheated, medium-high heat grill for about 2-3 minutes per side, until opaque and pink.
I so wish you could smell this!
I served the shrimp over the grilled pineapple and some cilantro lime rice. DELISH! This spicy and smokiness of the chipotle peppers tastes amazing with the sweet grilled pineapple. A perfect combination of smoky-spicy-sweet goodness!
Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Skewers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoons reserved adobo sauce
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds shrimp (16/20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 4 pineapple slices, optional
- 2 cups cooked white rice, for serving
- In a food processor combine the garlic, chipotle peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cilantro, kosher salt, black pepper. In a large bowl or plastic bag place the cleaned shrimp. Pour the marinade over the shrimp, and mix well to thoroughly coat. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Thread about 6 shrimp per skewer, discarding the remaining marinade, and grill on the preheated medium-high grill until the shrimp turn pink and opaque in the center, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve on top of grilled fresh pineapple and your favorite rice!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!