Today my sister Christine came over for a visit and a photo shoot of this Italian Grilled Cheese Sammies. Christine takes the most beautiful photos; she normally takes pictures of families, babies etc., but today I asked her if she would shoot the photos for my post. I was excited, she was excited and it was a blast! She truly is talented! The best part of the whole visit was seeing my super adorable niece and of course eating these Italian Grilled Cheese Sammies afterwards. So this post is dedicated to Christine, my niece Meredith and baby Papasian who will be arriving in September! xoxo
This recipe was featured on The Pioneer Woman Cooks!
To Make these Italian Grilled Cheese Sammies You Will Need:
- pumpernickel bread
- provolone cheese
- roma tomato
- baby portobello mushrooms
- basil pesto
Slice your tomatoes thin, so when you bite into the sandwich you can bite through the tomato (and it all won’t slide off the bread, which would be a total shame and possibly a stain!!)
Slice your mushrooms thin too, but don’t worry these won’t stain a bit!
Preheat a pan over medium/ medium low heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread; the trick here is that a thin layer of butter equals a crispier grilled cheese!
First place the bread butter side down on a pre-heated pan.
Layer one slice of provolone cheese…
Then top with the second slice of buttered pumpernickel bread.
Cover with a lid and let the steam help melt the cheese. In a few minutes, flip and cover again. Since pumpernickel is a dark bread, it might look burnt, but it’s not (unless it smells burnt 🙁 that also would be a shame).
All should be fine if you just keep checking on it!
Look at the oooey goooey goodness!
Italian Grilled Cheese Sammies
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 roma tomato, sliced thin
- 2 large cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto, homemade or store bought (one tablespoon per sandwich)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay butter side down onto a preheated pan over medium/medium low.
- Layer with first with; a slice of cheese, tomato, mushroom, and pesto, the second slice of provolone and second slice of bread (butter side up).
- Cover with lid for a minute or two.
- Flip and repeat with the lid until both sides are crispy to touch!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!