Homestyle Baked Chicken is a cozy and comforting dinner. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are lightly coated in flour, seasoned with poultry herbs, paprika and basted with pan drippings for the ultimate crispy skin. After making a quick pan gravy, serve with homemade mashed potatoes, buttery corn and soft rolls.
Pat had been up north hunting all weekend, and us girls have been trying to stay warm with the sudden drop in temperature and gusty winds. All of which made our errands around town downright miserable. So on Sunday I thought we all needed some good ol’ home cooking.
Specifically this homestyle baked chicken.
With mashed potatoes, gravy, buttery corn, stuffing and dinner rolls. You know, the works.
And although it calls for only a few simple ingredients, it’s the basting technique that I believe really makes this chicken incredible.
To make This Homemade Baked Chicken Recipe You Will Need:
for the chicken:
- extra light olive oil or avocado oil
- bone-in and skin on chicken thighs
- bone-in and skin on drumsticks
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- poultry seasoning
for the gravy:
- fat drippings
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- broth/juices from chicken
- low-sodium tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- black pepper
What is Poultry Seasoning / herbs?
Poultry seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that pair with chicken or pork and can be used in stuffing. It’s usually a combination of thyme, rosemary, marjoram, garlic, onion and parsley. Each brand uses a different blend of herbs and spices and they come finely ground or more of a coarse mixture. I have my own poultry seasoning recipe in my cookbook, however I’ve recently fell in love with Morton & Bassett poultry herb with rose petals. It’s AMAZING. Actually all of their herbs and spices are. This isn’t sponsored, I honestly just love their spices.
Add 2 tablespoons extra light oil and 2 tablespoons butter to a 9×13 stainless roasting pan. Place in your cold oven, and then preheat to 375°. This will get the pan nice and hot and will melt the butter.
Meanwhile, get the chicken ready.
You can use either thighs, drumsticks or a combination of the two. I’ve even made this with bone-in breasts and it’s totally doable. Start by patting the chicken with paper towel and rim off any extra skin (usually on the underneath side of the thighs).
In a resealable bag add 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour.
Add 2 to 3 pieces to the flour at a time, close and shake to coat.
Tap and shake the chicken pieces on the inside of the bag to get rid of any excess flour.
Place the chicken on a clean plate and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Once your oven alerts you that it’s preheated, use oven mitts and remove the pan from the oven to a heat safe trivet or work surface.
Arrange the lightly floured chicken into the roasting pan in an even layer.
Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
After the first 20 minute remove the chicken from the oven.
Grab a spoon and pick up some of the butter/oil from the bottom of the pan and spoon it over each piece of chicken, until there is no visible flour left on the chicken pieces.
Sprinkle with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Lastly sprinkle with 1-1/2 tablespoons poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Return the pan back to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
Repeat the basting process one last time and place back into the oven for 20 minutes. For a total of 60 minutes.
Turn off the oven and keep the chicken warm in the (off) oven with the door cracked.
Now Quickly Make the Gravy!
Measure and add 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings into a sauce pan. Heat on medium-high until it starts to sizzle.
Whisk in 2 heaping tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour and cook, whisking often, for 2 minutes.
Pour in 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth and whisk until thickened.
Season with 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari and lots of freshly ground black pepper and serve!
This baked chicken has the most flavorful crispy skin! And the meat is tender and juicy.
Serve with mashed potatoes, buttery corn, stuffing and rolls.
Homestyle Baked Chicken
FOR THE BAKED CHICKEN:
- 1¾ pounds chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1¾ pounds chicken drumsticks, bone in and skin on
- 1 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra light or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fine sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1½ tablespoons poultry herbs or seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
FOR THE CHICKEN GRAVY:
- 2 tablespoons fat drippings, from pan
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed to thin
- 1/2 tablespoon low-sodium tamari, or low sodium soy sauce
- black pepepr, freshly ground, to taste
- In a 9x13 roasting pan, add oil and butter. Place in (cold) oven and preheat to 375° to melt butter and heat the pan.
- Add flour to a gallon size resealable bag. Place 2 to 3 pieces of chicken in the flour, seal and shake to coat. Tap or shake off any excess flour and set onto a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Once your oven and pan have preheated, use oven mitts to remove the hot pan. Use tongs to arrange the chicken (skin side up) in a single layer. Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove and carefully spoon the fat from the bottom of the pan overtop of the chicken. Then season with a salt and pepper, poultry seasoning and paprika.
- Place the chicken back into the preheated oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken one last time, baste with fat drippings and place back into oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove 2 tablespoons pan drippings.
- Keep the chicken warm in the oven with the temperature off and the door cracked.
MAKE THE GRAVY:
- Add 2 tablespoons pan drippings to a saucepan and heat over medium to medium-high until sizzling.
- Sprinkle in flour, and whisk constantly, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in broth/chicken juices, whisking until thickened. Adjust the heat as needed.
- Season with tamari and black pepper before serving. Yields 1 cup.
- Serve chicken with sides and drizzle with gravy.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!