Creamy, smoky and with some subtle heat, this homemade Southwest Dressing is so flavorful and will elevate your salad to the next level. Chipotles in adobo and fresh lime juice blended with spices and honey in a creamy luscious dressing. Makes 1-1/3 cups in seconds.
Please tell me you’ve had McDonald’s southwest chicken salad? Normally I wouldn’t order a salad from a fast-food place (Panera Bread being the exception) because I swear the lettuce tastes weird and all you get is those hard, white lettuce core pieces. But I was plesantly surprised when I ordered this one night when we were headed to Haileigh’s softball game and had to eat on the go.
The salad itself was delicious, but the Newman’s Own Southwest dressing is gold!
I’ve scoured my local grocery stores and even searched online and cannot find a retailer. McDonald’s seems to be the only place that has this dressing. How can this be? But you know me, and I never back down from a challenge, so I tried my best to recreate it.
To Make This Homemade Southwest Dressing You Will Need:
- sour cream
- chipotles [in adobo]
- adobo sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- adobo seasoning
- ground cumin
- dried cilantro
- teaspoon annatto (for color, but optional)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
Add everything in to a blender. That’s 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon honey, juice of 1 lime, 1 to 2 chipotles [in adobo] plus 1 to 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons each of adobo seasoning, ground cumin and dried cilantro, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon annatto (for color, but optional), salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon) and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Flip the switch and puree until smooth and creamy. If you need to, thinning with a little bit of water at a time until you reach a desired consistency.
Pour the dressing into a jar or glass bottle with a tight fitting lid and before using, refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours but overnight is best!
For more recipes, check out my post of 50+ homemade salad dressings and vinaigrette options!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 to 2 chipotles [in adobo], plus 1 to 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning, (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon annatto, for color (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a glass jar or bottle and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours but overnight is best!
- Should keep for a week or so in the fridge.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!