Go meatless with these Grilled Teriyaki Portobello Burgers! Juicy grilled teriyaki glazed portobello mushrooms are topped with grilled onion and pineapple, extra teriyaki sauce and sprouts! Wrap this burger in butter lettuce leaves or bun of your choice with a smear of the most amazing honey wasabi mayo!
More and more I crave meatless recipes. Perhaps I was a vegetarian in a former life? Maybe. All I know is that I love vegetables, especially mushrooms.
If you haven’t had a portobello burger yet, this is your time to go for it. I am completely, 100% on team portobello burger. At first I was skeptical, sure, who wouldn’t be? Mushrooms masquerading as a beef patty, I mean yeah, I was definitely leery. But over the last year, I’ve been ever so slowly working portobellos into recipes that typically call for some sort of meat protein. I grilled them for quesadillas and panfried them for fajitas, and I use baby portobellos in just about all the recipes calling for mushrooms. I’m also working on another recipe that I hope to share before the summer is over. But today, it’s all about this grilled teriyaki portobello burger.
Thick, meaty mushrooms are slathered in homemade teriyaki sauce and grilled until tender and caramelized. Then I top each burger with a slice of gouda, and once it melts into cheesy bliss, I nestled the burger into butter lettuce leaves and topped it with lots of grilled red onion, a slice of grilled pineapple and fresh sprouts. I even went a step further and made a honey wasabi mayo to tie this delicious burger together.
It’s a little sweet and a little spicy. Just how I like it
To make these grilled teriyaki portobello burgers, you will need: 4 portobellos, teriyaki sauce, sliced onion and fresh pineapple, gouda (slices or freshly grated), butter lettuce, mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought), garlic, honey and wasabi paste.
When I was at my grocery store I had two options for wasabi: a pre-made paste with a slew of iffy ingredients or wasabi powder that had 3 ingredients that I’ve heard of and could pronounce, so I went with the latter. To make wasabi paste from the powder, just combine a little of the wasabi powder with a little water until it makes a thick paste.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup mayo with 1 small clove grated garlic, 1 teaspoon honey and a pea-size amount of the wasabi paste at a time until you get the flavor you want. A little wasabi goes a long way, so only add a little at time.
Then only whisk and taste as you go.
Preheat your grill to medium-high or about 400℉ (or 200℃).
Clean any dirt off of the portobello mushrooms and brush the underneath side with teriyaki sauce and spritz with an olive oil mister. Lightly mist both sides of the pineapple and onion slices with olive oil as well. This helps to keep them from sticking when grilling
Once your grill is hot, place the pineapple, onions and portobellos on the grill grates. Brush the portobello tops generously with teriyaki sauce.
Close your grill lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until good grill marks form.
Then carefully turn the portobello burgers, pineapple and onion slices.
Close the grill and continue grilling for 3 to 4 minutes more.
Open the grill and top each burger with a slice of gouda cheese. Go ahead and close the lid if the cheese needs help melting, it should only take a minute or two. Remove the burgers, grilled pineapple and red onion.
Now it’s time to build these burgers! You should smell this deliciousness!
Divide a few butter lettuce leaves onto four plates, add a dollop of the honey wasabi mayo and top with a grilled teriyaki portobello burger, slices of grilled red onion, pineapple and more teriyaki sauce if desired. Garnish with sprouts and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
These grilled teriyaki portobello burger are:
and very delicious.
Grilled Teriyaki Portobello Burgers with Honey Wasabi Mayo
FOR THE WASABI MAYO:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought -- homemade mayo recipe can be found in the book
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or finely minced (about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- wasabi paste, to taste*
FOR THE TERIYAKI PORTOBELLO BURGERS:
- 2/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, tops wiped clean, stems removed and discarded
- 4 slices fresh pineapple
- 4 thick slices red onion, should hold up when grilled
- olive oil spray, mister
- 8 butter lettuce leaves, for serving (or use your favorite hamburger bun)
- reserved teriyaki sauce, for serving
- sprouts, for serving (optional)
MAKE THE HONEY WASABI MAYO:
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, garlic, honey and desired amount of wasabi paste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- *I use wasabi powder and mix it with a little water until it forms a paste. Then I add a pea-size amount at a time until I get the flavor I want. A little wasabi goes a long way, so only add a little at time and taste as you go.
MAKE THE PORTOBELLO BURGERS:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high or about 400℉ (or 200℃).
- Brush the underneath side of the portobellos with the teriyaki sauce, and spritz with the olive oil mister. Lightly mist both sides of the pineapple and onion slices with olive oil as well. This helps to keep them from sticking when grilling
- Once your grill is hot, place the portobello burgers (teriyaki or underneath side facing down), and the pineapple and onion slices onto the hot grates. Generously brush more teriyaki sauce on the tops of the mushrooms. Close your grill lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until good grill marks form.
- Then carefully turn the portobello burgers, pineapple and onion slices. Close the grill and continue grilling for 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Open the grill and top the the burgers with slices of gouda cheese. Close the lid if the cheese needs help melting, it should only take a few minutes. Remove the burgers, grilled pineapple and red onion.
- Divide a few butter lettuce leaves onto four plates. Add a dollop of the honey wasabi mayo and top with a grilled teriyaki portobello burger, slices of grilled red onion, pineapple and more teriyaki sauce if desired. Garnish with sprouts and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!