This farmers market vegetable tray will look great at any party or get together. This post is shows you just how easy it is to pull together.
I have actually zero plans this weekend.
Well, besides having a couple of my daughter’s friends to our house for a sleepover. But they’re 12, so basically that means Pitch Perfect + cupcakes and nail polish = good times.
But I bet you all have plans, so if you’re going to a party this weekend and maybe you have to bring a veggie tray… why not turn some heads with a stunning (if I don’t say so myself) masterpiece? It’s super easy and colorful!
Making a veggie platter is a lot like flower arranging in a way. Pick your favorite veggies and plug away. I tend to go for veggies with color. Reds, purples, oranges and browns… all these colors make for a beautiful platter.
Gather all the things you want, wash, trim or scrub them so they’re ready. I’m using a woven basket like platter that only helps add to the whole farmer’s market vibe.
Make The Cabbage Dip Bowl:
I found the idea to use a cabbage head as a dip bowl on Pinterest. There weren’t any step-by-step instructions so I took a stab at it…
First, I trimmed off majority of the root-end so it would sit pretty flat but the leaves remained intact.
See those pretty, frilly outer leaves? I carefully removed and set them off to the side.
Then with a sharp knife I slide the top portion off, exposing the inside of the head of cabbage.
With a paring knife I made and X, but leaving a few outer layers untouched.
Use a spoon to hollow out the center, leaving you with a bowl… so cool, huh?
Remember those outer leaves you saved…
Place those back under the cabbage to mimic a cabbage that has been pulled from the ground and ready for dip. Adjust them better, this wasn’t the final look… but you see what I mean.
Arrange the vegetable Tray:
Center the cabbage head on your tray and then strategically place the cauliflower all around the base of the cabbage dip bowl.
Fill in all of the empty space with parsley, radicchio, carrots…
Last but not least, fill the cabbage bowl with a really good dip. Get creative and fill in any spots with greens, lettuces or fresh herbs. And POOF! like that you have a cool and colorful veggie tray!
Farmers Market Vegetable Tray
- 1 small red cabbage
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 bunch parsley
- Trim off majority of the root-end so it would sit pretty flat but the leaves remained intact. Keep any tough outer leaves that are removed.
- Then with a sharp knife I slide the top portion off, exposing the inside of the head of cabbage. With a paring knife I made and X, but leaving a few outer layers untouched.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the center, leaving you with a bowl.
- Place the reserved outer leaves under the cabbage to mimic a cabbage that has been pulled from the ground.
- Center the cabbage head on your tray and then strategically place the cauliflower all around the base of the cabbage dip bowl.
- Surround the cabbage bowl with cauliflower florets.
- Fill in all of the empty space with radicchio, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes, mushrooms and parsley.
- Before serving, fill the cabbage bowl with dip of choice.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!