Creamy Tomato Parmesan Tortellini Soup is a simple one-pot soup with cheese tortellini, crushed tomatoes, parmesan cheese, spinach and fresh basil. Serves 6 generous (1-1/2 cups) servings.
A one pot creamy dreamy soup that’s so flavorful and EASY.
Believe it or not, but this is the first tortellini soup I’ve ever made and the first I’ve ever tasted. Ever. It’s thick, creamy and robust sauce of crushed tomatoes, broth and heavy cream with pillowy tortellini. A combination that’s just too good. And couldn’t be any easier to make, which makes this perfect for any night of the week.
This soup makes 6 generous portions which means leftovers!
To Make This Creamy Tomato Parmesan Tortellini Soup You Will Need:
- yellow onion
- italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- tomato paste
- low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- crushed tomatoes
- fresh cheese filled tortellini
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 diced medium yellow to a large dutch oven. Cook over medium-low until soft and translucent.
Next add in 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 4 cloves minced fresh garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute.
Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook 1 minute.
Next add in 1/4 cup tomato paste.
Stir and cook 3 minutes.
Whisk while pouring in 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Lastly, stir in 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes. I like using either Delallo or Tuttorosso because their crushed tomatoes is more on the smoother side and not with large pieces of tomato. A personal preference.
Cover and bring that to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in 20 ounces of cheese filled tortellinis.
Cook (uncovered) for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are tender.
Stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream.
Add in 5 ounces chopped spinach or about 3 cups. I always eyeball this. Then add in 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Stir and heat on low, until the spinach has wilted.
Lastly, season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste), 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves.
Stir and serve!
Ladle soup into bowls and top with more parmesan cheese, black pepper and basil.
I add more red pepper flakes because I love the added heat.
Serve with bread and prepare to fall in love.
Click Here For More Homemade Soup Recipes!
Creamy Tomato Parmesan Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth if vegetarian
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 cups chopped spinach, about 5 ounces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Once melted, add onions with a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Next stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, stir and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth and crushed tomatoes. Add a little water to the can to get any tomatoes stuck to the can.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the tortellini. Cook (uncovered) for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Next, stir in heavy cream, parmesan cheese and chopped spinach. Stir occasionally until heated through and spinach has wilted.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, stir in sliced basil and serve ladled in bowl with extra parmesan cheese.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!