Confetti Picnic Salad is a colorful wholesome salad of cooked whole grains, legumes, fresh veggies and kale in a lemony dijon vinaigrette. This recipe will serve 12 to 14.
Colorful. Healthy. Delicious.
Basically everything you want in a summer salad. This gorgeous number was inspired by a favorite from a local market. And it was love after first bite. Confetti picnic salad is fresh and loaded with whole grains, legumes and vegetables dressed in a lemony dijon dressing.
I absolutely adore this salad! Not only because it’s delicious and healthy, but it makes generous amount and is perfect for cookouts, picnics or any gathering during these hot summer months.
Definitely a salad you can feel good about.
To Make This Confetti Picnic Salad You Will Need:
for the salad
- kidney beans
- yellow and red bell pepper
- english cucumber
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the dressing
- fresh lemon juice
- olive oil
- dijon mustard
- dried oregano
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
The dressing is simple. In a bowl or glass jar (I really prefer a jar as it’s easier to combine by shaking) add 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon dried oregano – crumbled between your fingers, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 cup quality olive oil.
Whisk or shake (if made in a jar) and set off to the side.
In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups cooked lentils, 2 cups cooked quinoa, 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas and 1 can dark kidney bean – both rinsed and drained.
I’ve included the instructions on preparing the lentils and quinoa in the recipe printable.
To the lentils, beans and quinoa, add in 2 cups finely chopped kale, 3/4 cup seeded dice cumber, 3/4 cup diced red and yellow bell pepper and 1/2 cup diced carrot.
Use a spatula to toss and combine.
Lastly, pour in the dressing.
Toss well to combine. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to your liking.
Serve immediately or cover and chill overnight.
Fresh, light and wholesome! A perfect picnic salad and delicious served next to grilled seafood, chicken, pork or beef.
Click Here For more Salad Recipes!
Confetti Picnic Salad
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano , crumbled between your fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed and strained of pulp and seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, 2/3 cup dried
- 2 cups cooked lentils, 3/4 cup dried
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup English cucumbers, seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup yellow and red bell pepper, finely diced and combined
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a glass bowl or jar, measure and add the garlic, dijon, oregano, salt and pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Whisk or shake to combine.
MAKE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl add: cooked quinoa and lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, kale, cucumbers, peppers and carrot. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle with dressing toss and season with more salt (if needed) and ground black pepper to taste.
- Cover and refridgerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
PREPARE THE QUINOA:
- add the quinoa to a mesh strainer and rinse well until water runs clear.
- Bring 1 and 1/2 cups of water to boil. Add 2/3 cup quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Then cover the pot with a lid and turn off the heat completely, leaving the pot on the burner for 20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
PREPARE THE LENTILS:
- Sort throught the lentils, remove and discarding any debris or broken lentils.
- Fill a pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and simmer until tender. About 17 to 20 minutes.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!