Skip the canned stuff and make a better and more delicious version of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup yourself! A quick and simple recipe calling for real ingredients that can be used in replace of canned condensed soup! One recipe yields 1-1/4 cups or the equivalent to a small 10 ounce can.
It’s casserole season, which means cans of cream of anything soup should be flying off the shelf. Unless of course you make it yourself. Years ago, I shared my recipe for cream of mushroom condensed soup. In the recipe notes, I listed other condensed soup versions, this cream off chicken being one of them.
It’s as simple as opening up a can!
Shallots and garlic sautéed butter gets combined with flour, chicken bouillon base, milk and broth and simmers on low until thick. That’s it! I think it takes less than 10 minutes.
And if you’re kitchen utensil drawer looks like mine, it takes just about that long to find the can opener. #truestory
TO Make Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup You Will Need:
- flour – not pictured because I forgot it (facepalm)
- low-sodium chicken broth
- chicken bouillon base
In a small skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add in 1 finely diced shallot and 1 minced clove of garlic with a pinch of kosher salt.
Sauté the shallots and garlic until soft and tender. Because the shallots are diced so small, it should only take about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in 2-1/2 tablespoons of flour.
And whisk to combine. Cook the flour for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking often.
Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon base.
Continue to whisk until dissolved.
Pour in the 2/3 cup of low-sodium chicken broth along with 1/2 cup whole milk.
Reduce the heat to low and whisk until thickened. Cool completely before storing. It will thicken up more like canned condensed soups as it cools.
Once cooled, use this in any recipe calling for condensed cream of chicken soup!
Click here for More Condensed Soup Recipes!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2½ tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon base
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In a small skillet, heat to medium and melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Once melted add in the minced shallot and garlic, stir and sauté until just soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour, stir and let the flour cook for a minute or two. Then stir in the bouillon until dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the milk and broth until smooth.
- Cook until it has thickened slightly, about 4 to 6 minutes. It will thicken more as it cools.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!