This Classic Béchamel Sauce calls for simple ingredients and is incredibly easy. A simple white sauce you can make in minutes.
What Is Béchamel Sauce?
A béchamel or “white sauce” is one of 5 classic “mother sauces”. It consists of simple ingredients like; butter, flour, milk and a pinch of nutmeg. It can be used as is or mixed with herbs or pestos. Typically I like to use it in lasagnas but it’s the perfect blank canvas for whatever your needs are.
Add fresh herbs or pestos to it for a burst of herbaceous freshness.
To Make This Classic Béchamel Sauce You Will Need:
- unsalted butter
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- whole milk
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- nutmeg (whole clove)
In a 10-inch skillet, over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
Sprinkle in 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour and whisk to incorporate.
Continue whisking while slowly pouring in 1-1/4 cup whole milk. Whisk, whisk and whisk some more until there are no visual lumps.
Season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper and grate in a pinch or so of fresh nutmeg. The nutmeg adds a subtle warmth to the sauce.
Whisk continuously until the sauce starts to thicken. This should only take a few minutes.
Remove off of the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
For more kitchen basics Click Here!
Classic Béchamel Sauce Recipe (White Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- In a 10-inch skillet, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- While whisking, pour in milk. Whisk slightly aggressively to break up any lumps until smooth.
- Heat, while continuing to whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. About 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove off of the heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!