Chicken Yakitori is beyond easy and delicious! Skewered chicken and green onions are grilled and brushed with a simple soy and sake based sauce. Basting the skewers as they grill caramelizes the sauce making them sticky and addictive. Serves 6.
Chicken Yakitori hot off the grill!
If you haven’t yet tried these delicious skewers you must make them asap! Skewers of chicken thighs and green onion are grilled and brushed with a simple sauce that get’s all nice and caramelized on the grill.
This recipe is quick to prepare and delicious reheated the next day.
The dark meat is so tender and the flavor of the sauce is sweet and salty and addictive! The BEST combo.
To Make Chicken Yakitori You Will Need:
- low-sodium soy sauce (use tamari if gluten free)
- dark brown sugar
- white pepper
- grated fresh ginger
- grated fresh garlic
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- olive oil spray
- green onions
- toasted sesame seeds
- 12 to 16 wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 20 minutes.
In a sauce pan or deep-sided skillet, measure and add in 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce (or low-sodium tamari), 1/4 cup both sake and water, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger and 1 teaspoon grated garlic. To save time, I use the tubes of fresh (pre-grated) ginger and garlic.
Bring to a low boil, reduce to low and simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has visibly thickened. This should only take a few minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce for basting and save the rest for serving. You may need to add a little extra splash or two of water to thin out the sauce before serving.
Dice the chicken thighs into 1-inch or so bite-size pieces. On a clean separate cutting board, cut the green onions into generous 1-inch pieces. Thinly slice the dark green ends and save for garnishing.
Lightly spray your grill grates before preheating to medium-high 450-500℉ (or 230-260℃).
Once the wooden skewers have soaked in water for no less than 20 minutes, thread the chicken alternating with a piece of green onion. I usually add 5 to 6 pieces per skewer. After you’ve built the skewers lightly spray all sides with olive oil spray.
When your grill has preheated, place the skewers onto the hot grates. Close the lid and cook 2 to 3 minutes before turning and repeating until no longer pink and fully cooked.
I utilize the outer sides of my grill by keeping the blunt side of the skewers away from the hot grates to keep them from burning.
Using the reserved 1/2 cup, baste the yakitori sauce over the grilled chicken skewers.
Turn and repeat until all sauce is gone and the chicken is saucy and sticky.
Remove off of the grill and serve.
Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions over the chicken yakitori and serve with cooked rice.
Enjoy theses skewers right off the stick with a dipping cup of extra sauce on the side. As far a healthy vegetable side dish to serve with these, we like grilled this grilled baby bok choy recipe that’s drizzled with a simple ginger chili sauce.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or low-sodium tamari if gluten free
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
FOR THE SKEWERS:
- 12 wooden skewers soaked for 20 minutes, or use metal
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces (about 1-inch)
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- olive oil spray
- toasted sesame seeds, for serving
- additional sliced green onions, for serving
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Soak wooden skewers in water for no less than 20 minutes. This will help keep them from catching fire.
- In a medium skillet, add the soy sauce, sake, water, cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and white pepper. Whiske to combine.
- Bring to a low boil, whisking often until thickened. Remove off of the heat and measure out 1/2 cup of the sauce for basting the skewers. The remaining will be used for serving.
- Spray the grates of your grill with olive oil BEFORE preheating it to medium-high 450-500℉ (or 230-260℃).
- While your grill is preheating, thread the chicken onto skewers alternating with the green onion. Place on a metal baking sheet and spray with olive oil.
- Once your grill is hot, place the skewers down on the hot grates with the blunt end off and facing away from the grates, grill for 2 to 3 minutes a side. Turn and repeat.
- Using the reserved 1/2 cup of sauce, baste one side of the skewers. Turn and repeat until all the sauce is used.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove to a platter, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve the reserved sauce on the side.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!