Get your wavy chips ready for this INCREDIBLE Caramelized Onion Dip! Yellow onions cook slowly until tender and caramelized and are combined with garlic and white wine for a mouth-watering and addictive dip!
I wouldn’t consider myself to be the biggest fan of sweets.
Sure I’ll eat a cookie or brownie here or there but what I really crave is chips and a dip of some sort. Tortilla chips and guac are my more common go-to. But I love French onion dip. Cool, creamy, onion-y and served with potato chips, all of these things are my jam. Salty over sweet any day.
So why not skip the store-bought tubs and make it at home? In this caramelized onion dip, yellow onions are cooked low and slow until deeply caramelized and golden. I like to add fresh garlic and white wine before mixing it into a creamy dip base.
It’s a dip you won’t want to stray too far from because it’ll go quick.
To Make This Caramelized Onion Dip You Will Need:
- salted butter
- yellow onion
- kosher salt
- dry white wine
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- black pepper
Slice 2 large (or 3 if medium in size) yellow onions into 1/4-inch strips.
Heat 3 tablespoons of salted butter in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until melted and bubbly.
Once melted, add in all the sliced onions and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, toss to combine.
Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes undisturbed. After the 5 minutes, uncover (and leave uncovered) stirring the onions every 5 minutes until caramelized. It could take anywhere from 4o to 60+ minutes.
I literally set a timer for 5 minutes, stir and repeat.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 4 ounces cream cheese. Whisk until smooth. If the cream cheese is creating small lumps in the dip, I’ll hold the bowl over the steam of the onions to warm it up a bit. Alternatively, you could microwave it at 10 second bursts.
This is the onions after 10 minutes.
And this is what the onions look like after 55 minutes. Caramelized and tender and smelling incredible!
Once the onions are caramelized, add in 1 large clove of garlic that has been minced. Stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour in 2 tablespoons of white wine, stir and remove off of the heat.
Transfer the caramelized onions to a clean bowl or plate and let cool.
Once cool, add the caramelized onions, parsley and black pepper to the bowl with the cream cheese and sour cream mixture.
Stir well to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Overnight is best because it gives the dip a chance fro the flavors to meld.
Add the dip into a bowl and sprinkle with chives if desired. I like the extra punch of chivy-onion flavor contrasting with the caramelized onion.
Serve with wavy chips or crostini.
However the wavy crinkle cut chips are the BEST.
For more dip recipes click here.
Caramelized Onion Dip
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, or 3 if medium sized, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes and then softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- chives, minced, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and kosher salt and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes undisturbed.
- Uncover, stir and cook (keep uncovered) for 5 minutes. Stir every 5 mintues until the onions are caramelized. This can take anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes or longer.
- Next add in the garlic, stir and cook 1 to 2 mintues. Pour in the wine and scrape any golden bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Once the wine has cooked away, transfer the onions to a clean plate or bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk to gether the sour cream, mayo and cream cheese.*
- To the sour cream mixture, add the cooled caramelized onions, minced fresh parsley and black pepper to taste. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Serve with a sprinkle fo fresh chives and wavy or crinkle cut potato chips.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!