Barbecue meatloaf has ground beef, finely minced onion, homemade barbecue sauce, mustard and cracker crumbs, then wrapped in bacon and topped with more bbq sauce!
Now that Thanksgiving is over I bet you’re in the mood for some regular recipes huh?
Well… today I have a fantastic recipe for you. Meatloaf wrapped in bacon and smothered with my homemade barbecue sauce. I know you’re excited, and I’m just as excited to share it with you. I simply took my traditional recipe, tweaked and amped it up to make this fantastic piece of loaf.
Is it wrong that I love meatloaf? Like a lot? I could easily eat it once a week with mashed potatoes and green beans and be perfectly happy. Even my whole family gave it two thumbs up, and my husband went back for thirds! I’m not sure if I could convinced them to having it once a week, but you can bet I’ll try!
BTW… It’s so easy I think you should make it for dinner… tonight!
Start by adding 3/4 pound ground chuck and 3/4 pound ground sirloin in a bowl with 1/2 cup finely chopped onion to a mixing bowl.
Add 3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce.
Then add 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard.
To that, add 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.
Crack in an egg.
And don’t forget (like I almost did) 1/2 cup crumbled crackers. Use your impeccably clean hands to mix this meat mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
Use one 12 ounce package of back tp wrap the meat loaf, overlapping a bit.
Lastly brush with some of the remaining barbecue sauce.
Slip the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated 350° oven for 1 hour.
After the first 3o minutes, brush with the rest of the barbecue sauce and finish baking for the last 30 minutes.
So I had about 2.2 seconds of light to shoot this recipe. It was a rainy dark day and finally around 3pm there was a tiny break before the dark set in and any hope of a final shot was lost. Well I lost that final shot of a pretty sliced piece of barbecue meatloaf, but I bet if you tried to, you could close your eyes and imagine what it would look and taste like.
Oh and sorry there is just no editing tools in the world that could make this loaf pretty… but you can trust me when I say it’s tasty. Not to mention easy!!
- 3/4 pound ground chuck
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, about 12-14 saltine crackers
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces applewood bacon
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line a sheet pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, 3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, mustard, seasonings, egg and cracker crumbs. With you super duper clean hands mix until combined and then form into a 9x5 sized loaf.
- Wrap in bacon, overlapping the edge a little. Brush with some of the remaining barbecue sauce and slide it into your preheated oven for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers at 160 degrees. Brush with more barbecue sauce halfway through baking.
- Remove and let rest for ten minutes, slice and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!