Avocado Egg Salad is incredibly delicious and a great way to use up hard boiled eggs! In this recipe, hard boiled eggs are mixed with avocado (no mayo!), garlic powder and salt and pepper. Making this an quick and easy meal or snack. See notes for optional toppings. Yields 1 generous serving or will feed 2 for a light snack.
I love egg salad.
But it usually packs quite a bit of calories being that there is 386 calories in 2 ounces of mayonnaise. However swapping out the mayo for avocado? genius. This is a win for non mayo fans and bonus! it’s only 91 calories for 2 ounces. And let’s face it, it’s just better for you.
This avocado egg salad is quick and easy to whip up (already have hard boiled eggs? you’re one step ahead!) and you combine it all in one bowl, top toasted bread and garnish it with whatever your heart desires.
And this heart desires feta, chives and red pepper flakes.
To Make Avocado Egg Salad You Will Need:
- hard boiled eggs – This is my fool-proof method for perfectly cooked eggs.
- avocado – Adds creaminess along with vitamins, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids.
- dijon mustard – Lends flavor and tanginess.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors in this recipe
- freshly ground black pepper – Lends distinct bite and flavor.
- garlic powder – Adds flavor that’s sweeter yet milder than fresh garlic.
- sourdough – Or any bread of your choice. If smaller you will need 2 slices.
In a bowl add 1/2 a small avocado (or about 2 to 2.5 ounces), 3 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard, a pinch of salt, some freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
Mix and chop until desired consistency. If you want, you could chop the egg beforehand.
Once mixed, taste and adjust salt or pepper.
Toast your bread and pile the avocado egg salad on top.
You could definitely enjoy this avocado egg salad toast as is, but I like to top mine with crumbled feta, red pepper flakes and snipped chives.
I love the crunch of the sourdough with the creamy avocado egg salad, and the garlic powder is *chefs kiss*. The salty feta with the red pepper flakes add a touch of heat which is so delicious.
Enjoy! And if you give this recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Avocado Egg Salad
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 small avocado , about 2 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice sourdough, or bread of choice (may need 2 slices if smaller)
- In a bowl add the hard boiled eggs, avocado, dijon, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Use a for or wooden spoon to mix and mash.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper to taste.
- Toast bread and divide the avocado egg salad on top.
- Enjoy as is or top with crumbled feta, red pepper flakes, snipped chives or any other toppings of choice.
recipe adapted from onebalancedlife.com
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
Absolutely delicious! Made it exactly as the directions state! It is so simple yet so flavorful! Thank you Laurie for another amazing recipe!