Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast with Balsamic Drizzle

Bacon tomato avocado smashed toast is avocado smashed toast topped crispy bacon, ripe tomatoes and drizzled with a thick, glossy balsamic reduction.

Sometimes a girl craves toast.

Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast l SimplyScratch.com

Toast topped an inch thick with smashed fresh avocado, crispy bacon, ripe tomatoes and drizzled with a thick, glossy balsamic reduction. I’ve got a crush on an open-faced BLT,  minus the L, because the lettuce just gets in the way. I was close to calling these a B-A-T sandwich, replacing the L [lettuce] with the A [avocado] but then I imagined people saying “bat” sandwich, and well you can see where it would be a bad idea right?

Alright so get ready, you’re about to see ZERO cooking in this post.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com ingredients

I have so many recipes in my brain that I don’t blog about because they may seem too simple or there really isn’t a “recipe” to them. But then I remembered this is my blog and I can post a recipe that isn’t a recipe if I want to. So here goes.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com halved avocado

I buy avocados every.single.time. I go to the grocery store. We make guacamole on the regular here and with a bag of Garden Fresh tortilla chips… PAH! my girls and I can put it down in no time. This is sort of like guacamole… which is probably why I loved it so.

SO go on and cut the avocado around the pit in the middle.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com slice

Carefully remove the pit, score it up…

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com smash collage

…and scrape both avocado halves into a bowl. Squeeze in just a wee bit of lemon juice. Not even the whole wedge, you don’t want the avo to taste lemony. Mmm-k?

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com tomato

My grocery store had these Michigan-grown tomatoes on the vine. Like I’m totally sure they’re from a greenhouse and not a farm, but I don’t even care because they smell AMAZING! That tomato-plant-stem-smell… you know what I’m talking about. It’s a smell I’d make into perfume. At risk of sounding like a totally crazy person… I stood there for a good second or seven smelling the vine part of my tomato. Yup. Like that.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com slice thin

Slice the tomato thinly.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com toast

Then toast up some hearty, seedy, whole grain bread.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com ingredients spoon on avocado

Next, top it with as much of the mashed avocado as you want…

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com smash it into place

Then use the fork and smash it to the toast. Fork marks required.

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com bacon

Next, top with crispy applewood smoked bacon. Is there any other kind? šŸ˜‰

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com tomatoes

Then a couple tomato slices…

Bacon, Tomato + Avocado Smashed Toast l www.SimplyScratch.com salt and pepper

S & P…

Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast l SimplyScratch.com

And then add a drizzle of the syrupy balsamic reduction. Fancy. Yes.

Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast l SimplyScratch.com

Then hardest part is cutting it in half. I’m amazed that I managed.

Sandwich Breakdown. The avocado and toast are amazing just by themselves. The tomato and avocado are basically family since pico and guac are pretty much essentials for any Mexican meal at least in our house. And of course balsamic and tomatoes just go together, naturally. So I thought why not get fancy and stack them together? So SO glad I did.

Like I said earlier, sometimes a girl craves Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast. Annnd sometimes a girl makes a recipe for “two” and eats both for lunch. This is why I’ll never be a size 4. It’s simple.

I just like food too much to exercise. But in my defense, the bread slices were teeny.

Enjoy! And if you give this Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast l SimplyScratch.com

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Yield: 1-2 servings

• 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 wedge of lemon or a lime
  • 1 medium ripe tomato, sliced
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. In a small sauce pan, bring 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes until reduced to a syrup. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
  2. Mean while; cook the 6 bacon halves until crispy.
  3. In a small bowl, mash the avocado and a little juice from the lemon wedge {not all of it} and a pinch of kosher salt. Mash until desired consistency.
  4. Divide the smashed avocado on to each piece of toast. Top each toast with three pieces, two slices of tomato and a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper.
  5. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over top and enjoy!

20 Responses to “Bacon Tomato Avocado Smashed Toast with Balsamic Drizzle”

cheri — March 28, 2014 at 12:42 am

I love avocado on toast, great idea adding the tomato, looks good.

Katie @ The Surly Housewife — March 28, 2014 at 12:43 am

I am literally about to go to bed, and I think I need to make this first. Eeep. I love avocado on toast. I MUST remember to add balsamic next time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda romer — March 28, 2014 at 7:10 am

This sandwich looks delicious, I just woke up, have all the ingredients. Guess what I’m making for breakfast? Thank you for all the great recipes. Have a great weekend, chow!

Robby — March 28, 2014 at 8:50 am

This has Saturday lunch written all over it. As soon as I figure out how to hide the extra bacon I fry in the morning. I wish all sandwiches with avocado had it smashed, instead of those escape artist slices. Thanks for a fab ‘recipe’.

Liz@Virtually Homemade — March 28, 2014 at 9:46 am

ooh I saw these on instagram. they look absolutely delicious. definitely my kind of food.

Wimbledon Carpet cleaners — March 28, 2014 at 10:49 am

Can’t wait to try! They looks so tasty šŸ™‚ Pinning it for later!

faceplant — March 28, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hate tomatos,but a nice portabella musroom with a slice of red onion,sounds great,or for breakfast add a fried egg,great website,thanks for all the great receipes

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm

what a beautiful illustration, seriously falling in love with these pictures!! I might throw a little crumbled goat cheese on here because I’m an animal, but good lord this looks simple & perfect!

Shutterbug — March 29, 2014 at 2:48 pm

You had me at bacon & avocado! Those are two of my favourite foods!

E — March 29, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Tried it this morning for brunch – it’s absolutely delicious! Plus, a good reason to eat avocado – oddly enough I rarely do, but in this combination it was super tasty! Thank you for posting the recipe!

Meredith — March 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Incredibly delicious!

Emma — March 30, 2014 at 5:48 am

I love everything about this!

Yum. Yum. Yum!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — March 30, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I work and I live alone—-sort of. It is kind of hard to say you live alone with 3 cats and 2 dogs all rescue animals. Plus if you are a person who talks to and nurtures your plants——. Then there are the drop in family and friends—-. So living alone is a relative term. However, I often don’t feel compelled to make a big meal. I want something, quick, tasty and healthy. There might be some controversy about bacon,but everything in moderation is my philosophy solves that. So this recipe works for me.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — March 31, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Avocado toast is my jam and you’ve taken it to the next level by adding the bacon, tomato, and the balsamic drizzle. I’m salivating just looking at these photos! Must make!

StuffFunky — April 1, 2014 at 3:37 am

Replaced bacon with poached egg… turned out great. Thanks for the ideas, my wife thinks I’m a magician thanks to your site!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 1, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’m calling this the perfect lunch. Yum!

Julie S — April 1, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Some of my favorite foods – I can’t wait to try this as it screams spring!!!

ashley - baker by nature — April 1, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Girl you just took avocado toast to a whole new level of AMAZING!

Jas — April 15, 2014 at 9:39 am

Love this! It looks absolutely stunning! I’m a big fan of getting creative with fresh tomato sandwiches, it’s why I basically only grow tomatoes every year!

This looks like it could beat out my favorite recipe from last year: http://goodsweetearth.com/2013/08/01/the-greatest-garden-delight-a-fresh-tomato-sandwich/

Thanks for posting, it’s now bookmarked for future use!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 8:37 pm

Us too! Tomatoes and fresh herbs ā¤ļø