Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies

These Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies are thick, rich and fudgy with a little kick from cayenne pepper. So delicious!

Yeah I totally know what you’re thinking.

Chocolate. Cayenne. Now way! What in the world could it possibly taste like? Could those flavors even work? Well I’m here to tell you that yes it sure does and I LOVE them!

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

The inspiration for these spicy brownies came from a bar of chocolate. When shopping the isles of Target for items to send in a care package to send my sissy in North Carolina, I swiped a bar of chili-infused chocolate. When I got home I was totally wishing I bought myself a bar and contemplated if I should “forget” to send hers and keep it all to my greedy-little-chocolate-hoarding self. In the end, I did what’s right… and shipped it.

Moral of the story. Always ALWAYS buy two, maybe three.

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

To describe these brownies is pretty dang simple. The brownie itself is fudgy {because I always under bake mine, and yes it’s on purpose} and as your salivary glands are enjoying the chocolaty goodness, it’s when you swallow… that you feel a little bit of warmth in the back of your throat. It’s kind of remarkable. It’s one of those things that you won’t believe it could possibly taste good until you try it, kinda how I feel about avocado frosting… sounds kinda gross but I bet it’s delicious!

Start with 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and a stick of unsalted butter. Everything heavenly either starts or ends with “a stick of butter”.

Break up the chocolate into a sauce pan.

Cut up the butter.

And add it to the sauce pan with the chocolate.

Heat on low, sloooooooooooooooooowly, stirring occasionally.

While the chocolate and butter are doing their thang; I threw the flour, cocoa, kosher salt, baking powder, and chili powder into mesh sifter.

I sifted the dry ingredients into a large bowl and tried not get it all over the place and succeeded! Then just set aside.

Now the chocolate is all melted and shiny, so I pulled it off the heat.

Then add in the white sugar and dark brown sugar.

Then mix until all that glorious sugar is incorporated.

Next add in one egg at a time, whisk and repeat until all four eggs are in.

*I wait until the chocolate has cooled a bit and my eggs up to around room temp so they don’t curdle and cook.

Wait. Maybe I’d stop here, grab a spoon and go hide somewhere.

Then add in the flour/cocoa mixture in spoonfuls at a time and mixed after every addition.

Next I prepped my 8×8 pan with butter and parchment paper.

Parchment = easy removal. Easy removal = my pan doesn’t get scratched. Me Not having to spend more money on expensive Calphalon pans = priceless.

Next, once the flour mixture was all mixed in pour the batter into the pan.

Then I spread the batter out with my finger a spatula and baked it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes. If you are using a 9×13 you may need to just bake it for 25-30 minutes. But as I always say {like a broken record} every ones oven is different. Check your brownies with a tooth pick or skewer, it’s done when the skewer comes out clean. But if you’re like me… and I like mine fudgy, so I’m okay with a little chocolate attached to the tester.

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Next, remove from pan once cooled and safe to handle.

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Then sprinkle with reserved cocoa powder.

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Finally, cut into 12 squares. Keep in mind that if you’re making a spicier brownie, you may want to consider keeping them a little on the small side.

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Note the fudgy inside. to.die.for.

Lucky for my thighs, I took these spicy chocolate cayenne truffle brownies to a family get together… otherwise I’d weigh 1,346 pounds, because I would’ve eaten them ALL!

Enjoy! And if you give these Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Yield: 12

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies

Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes

Ingredients

• 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into pieces (plus more for greasing the pan)
  • 4 large eggs, at room temp
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
  • 3/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
  2. Prep your pan with butter and line with parchment.
  3. In a sauce pan, place the broken chocolate and butter. Melt over low heat, stirring often. Once melted, remove off of the heat and add both sugars, stir and set aside.
  4. Next sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and cayenne into a large bowl and set aside. To the slightly warm chocolate add in one egg at a time whisking after each additional egg. Then add spoonfuls of the flour/cocoa mixture and stir with a spatula until smooth.
  5. Pour batter into prepared 8x8 pan and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. For more fudgy brownies, the tester should come out slightly coated with a thicker coat of chocolate batter, it shouldn't be runny.
  6. Let cool and remove. Sprinkle with reserved cocoa powder and cut into desired size. If making a spicier brownie, you may want to consider keeping them a little on the small side.
  7. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream if desired.

Notes

*If using a 9x13 pan, bake for 20-25 minutes and test for desired doneness.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 83mg Sodium: 141mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 28g Protein: 7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.

30 Responses to “Spicy Chocolate Cayenne Truffle Brownies”

SavithaRaj's Spice Land — July 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Very nice photo's and yummy treat..

Jessica @ How Sweet — July 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Could these look any chewier and delicious?! I think not. Love.

amanda@seegirlcook — July 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm

i love chocolate with a kick…i love this brownie version. they look so fudgey and delicious! mmm.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — July 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I think I gained about 15 lbs just drooling over the photos! I LOVE spicy chocolate, so so So good! Unexpected bursts of heat really make the chocolate taste more chocolatey. I want these brownies now. I think I'll have to go make them soon! e

The Answer Is Chocolate — July 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I have to confess that I've yet to try any chile / chocolate treats even though I love both on their own. These definitely make me want to try! YUM.

Gourmande — July 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh my God, this looks so delicious!
    I really love your blog!

Nicole — July 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oooo.. That looks wonderful. I have no doubt the cayenne is great in this recipe.

Julie — July 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

oh my that looks good!!! I LOVE, LOVE LOVE chocolate with chili!

Jennifurla — July 21, 2011 at 6:31 pm

super idea, I bet the flavor is great

Valerie — July 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

What can i say about your brownies… i love them! I loove its texture! I have to make it!

Tina @flourtrader — July 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This post is making me crave some brownies. Chocolate and spice seems to be all the rage these days, so why not put a little extra kick in brownies! Nice fudgy texture-Yum!

Michelle O — July 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Your step by step is gorgeous. I love that they are spicy too. Buzzed. 🙂

Erin — July 22, 2011 at 1:34 am

Spicy chocolate kind of makes the chocolate more intense. Brownies look perfect! And I love the moral of the story 🙂

Alida @ Alida's Kitchen — July 22, 2011 at 1:36 am

These look heavenly! I love the idea of the chocolate and spice in a brownie. Yum!

Eating Deliciously — July 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Your photos are beautiful! Love this idea of chocolate with spice together.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — July 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

These look so delicious, great photos!! 🙂

The Procrastobaker — July 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm

These look insannneellyyy good! Delicious recipe 🙂

Michelle of Chellbellz — July 23, 2011 at 12:57 am

Okay….So I've been running around looking for some sort of inspiration! I need to try these! They sound so good, and I have yet to mix spice with chocolate! I can't wait to try them!

kita — July 25, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Might have to give these a whirl. I have seen those candy bars and never actually tried one but these brownies are a must!
    And underbaking a brownie is for the best 😉 I dont care what anyone tells ya

Ronnie Jean — July 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

I made these crazzzy brownies last night just for my husband and they were a hit. I am pretty sure he is going to love me forever just because of those brownie's. 😉

jasmine B — August 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Hi there !
    i am just starting out a food blog, it really isnt much yet but i included a link to this page. check it out if you have a chance, http://indahbrotolaras.tumblr.com/
    your brownies are amazing!
    j

Julia @The Roasted Root — February 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Ohhh girl, you had me at 60% coacoa. Love the chocolate/chili combo!

Anonymous — February 19, 2012 at 12:30 am

I made these for a party tonight and may have taste-tested 2 or 4 already. Alls I can say is YES.

Lara — May 25, 2012 at 3:14 am

I have made these brownies a handful of times, and I have to say these are flawless! Love the heat and sweetness. My husband who isn’t a brownie person loved these!

Sandra M — January 21, 2014 at 10:33 am

I made these last night for Bachelor night with my girlfriends and after making your cabernet brownies many times, I decided it was time for a change. They turned out perfectly! Some of the girls didn’t like them but if I wouldn’t have told them they had cayenne they probably wouldn’t have even noticed 🙂 They seemed to be a big hit with the husbands. Thanks for another great recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

I’m so glad to hear that Sandra! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Nayana — October 20, 2016 at 10:04 am

Hey, my girlfriend happened share this recipe and I made it today. It’s still warm from the oven. I’m a newbie baker and this is my first brownie. And it turned out perrrfect! I’m so happy with myself.
    Thank you for the perfect recipe.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 21st, 2016 @ 2:57 pm

That’s fantastic, Nayana! Hi-five! Thank you for coming back and leaving a comment!

1. Pingback: Pistachio Agave Brownies | miss anna cakes