Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix

This homemade ranch dressing mix with an ingredient list you can be proud of and can pronounce! Just blend with buttermilk!

I cannot tell you how long it’s been since I’ve bought one of those ranch seasoning packets.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com

I swore of all the seasoning packets that contain MSG years ago.

Not only because there are additives and ingredients like maltodextrin and “spices” <—WHAT? but it’s just plain not good for me, so I don’t want it. But luckily there is a cheap and healthy alternative… make it yourself. Didn’t see that coming now did ya?

Pat and I are quite smitten with restaurant ranch dressing. It’s always perfectly thin, but not too thin and the way it coats those lettuce leaves… oh man *swoon*. He’s all “how do they make it so good?” and I’m all “I’m sure they use those msg-filled packets”. Then we stab a forkful of salad and ignore what I just said. Am I always such a downer?

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com

Might I say that this is close to restaurant style ranch? I might! I think it’s because I can thin it down with buttermilk until it’s just how we like it.

What I also like is that you can make your own ranch in minutes. Because I get it, most people don’t have fresh herbs on hand {or let’s be real, the time} to make fresh herbaceous ranch dressing at a moment’s notice. I keep a jar of this ranch dressing mix in the fridge and at the drop of a hat I can make a quick dip or dressing in no time.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com buttermilk powder

To start you’ll need some buttermilk powder. There are some all nat-u-ral brands out there but I was just walking by it at the store and swiped it up.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com dried parsley

Throw a cup of the buttermilk powder and 2 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com dill

1 teaspoon of dried dill…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com reserve

Reserve 1/2 tablespoon of dried parsley and 1 teaspoon of dried dill.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com onion powder

Measure and add in 1-1/2 teaspoon of onion powder…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com dehydrated onion

1-1/2 teaspoon dried minced onions…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com garlic powder

2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com paprika

1/2 teaspoon of paprika…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com cayenne

1/4 teaspoon of cayenne… for a smidgen of kick. Up it to 1/2 teaspoon for a more notable kick.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com sugar

3/4 teaspoon of sugar…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com s & p

2-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper. PHEW! Done.

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com spice art

Hey, it’s spice-art {and I’m a huge dork}.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com blend

Now just letttt heeeerrrr {him?} ripppppp. Blending the larger herbs and spices into the powder. Obviously.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com jar-parsley-dill

Then, because you need some larger specks of green in the dressing… throw in that reserved parsley and dill.

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com

Whisk to combine and that’s it! It can last in the fridge for 3 months {I bet longer} or in the freezer for 6-8 months.

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com mayo

To use this ranch mix for salad dressing this is what you do; add a 1/2 cup of mayonnaise {homemade if you are feeling scratchy}…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com sour cream

Add in a 1/2 cup of sour cream…

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com 3 tablespoons

Three tablespoons of the buttermilk ranch mix…

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com added ranch mix

Almost done…

Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packets l www.SimplyScratch.com thin out with buttermilk

And add as much buttermilk as you want until it reaches a desired consistency. Now I know you’re thinking; buttermilk powder… why the buttermilk? Because regular whole milk just doesn’t do it quite right. It’s good… but not great.

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com whisk

Whisk until the buttermilk becomes one with the ranch mix, sour cream and mayo. Boom. Insta-ranch.

Personally, I think you could serve this straight away. But like many things, it does get better with a little time in the old icebox.

So whether you’re making dip, dressing or adding it to burgers or meatloaf… it’s something to feel not-so guilty about. The benefits of having ranch on hand and knowing you’ll never have to buy store-bought packets-o-chemicals again is a win-win situation.

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix l www.SimplyScratch.com dressing

You guys, today it’s going to be in the 80’s. I. Kid. You. Not. So I’m grilling up turkey burgers and a big fat salad and you-bet-your-buttons I’m pouring this heavenly dressing all over it… and a little on my salad too. Kidding.

Enjoy!

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix via www.SimplyScratch.com

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix

Homemade ranch dressing mix with an ingredient list you can be proud of {and pronounce ;)}!

Yield: About 1 cup

1/2 cup Sour Cream

3 tablespoons Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packet Mix

2/3 to 1 cup of Buttermilk

FOR DIP:

1 cup Sour Cream

2 to 3 tablespoons Bulk Homemade Ranch Dressing Packet Mix

Buttermilk to thin out as desired

In a small food processor or blender; measure and add in the dried buttermilk, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried dill. Place the remaining 1/2 tablespoon parsley and 1 teaspoon dried dill and set off to the side. Measure and add in the onion powder, dried onion flakes, kosher salt, sugar, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Turn on the processor and let it run until all the spices are blended into the buttermilk powder.

Transfer the ranch mix into a jar or container {that has a tight-fitting lid} and add in the reserved parsley and dill. Whisk to combine.

3 tablespoons of the ranch mix is equivalent to one packet.

Store in the fridge for 3-4 months or in the freezer for 6-8.

40 Responses to “Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix”

Laura @ Raise Your Garden — May 8, 2014 at 7:52 am

I’m lighting up like the fourth of July right now. I had no idea I could make my own ranch dressing mix. The light bulb has just gone on!

And I have so many of these herbs fresh now from growing them in pots. I’m willing to share for anyone who lives nearby =)

It never ceases to amaze me how I can make things like this instead of buying the overly processed varieties at the store. Love your blog!

Michelle — May 8, 2014 at 8:12 am

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for — fantastic!
    I’m so looking forward to trying it out. Thank you!!!

Rina~I Thee Cook — May 8, 2014 at 8:49 am

We are ranchahoclics in my house! I’ve been on the lookout for a good homemade ranch dressing mix and this will be it. I can’t wait to try it out.

Mallory @forkvsspoon — May 8, 2014 at 8:52 am

Love making my own salad dressings and seasonings- I do this for taco seasoning as well…those packets of flavor have always kind of freaked me out. Hoorah for 80’s..we are trying to figur out ways to sneak out of the office and soak up some rays!!!!

Jaclyn Youngquist — May 8, 2014 at 9:20 am

I always make my own salad dressings, but it is a pain sometime when you’re pressed for time. Love that this is pre-mixed and keeps in the fridge…I think it may become a staple in our house!

Felecia — May 8, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi Laurie! Thank you so much for sharing this homemade ranch recipe! I’ve been wanting one to use, not just for the dressing, but to use in other recipes! The recipe will be so handy to use. I can hardly wait to try it! Have a great week! Blessings from Bama!

Kailey — May 8, 2014 at 9:40 am

Okay. I’m fiercely loyal to my Hidden Valley but I think I could give this a try. Could you mix it just with sour cream and make more of a dip, I wonder? Thanks for sharing, looks yummy!!

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} — May 8, 2014 at 10:13 am

This looks perfect. I love ranch dressing!

Corinne — May 8, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My fiancee loves store bought ranch dressing, but the stuff totally creeps me out! I’ve made your scratch buttermilk ranch with fresh herbs a few times and we both love it. But lately, it’s been just a bit too much of a time investment for me to keep up with (lame, I know.) I try to make as much from scratch as humanly possible, but between a full-time job, part-time grad school, and planning a wedding, I’ve had to compromise on some short-cuts, one of them being a return to store bought ranch. Making my own ranch mix with ingredients that don’t frighten me is a short-cut I can totally live with! Hurray for no more guilt when I pull the ranch dressing out of the fridge!

ps – I absolutely LOVE your blog! At least one meal a week that we make is one of your recipes!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

Yay! Thank you SO much! Enjoy Corinne!

Meredith — May 8, 2014 at 10:00 pm

This sounds amazingly perfect!

Robin — May 11, 2014 at 7:40 pm

We love homemade ranch dressing but fresh herbs are only available from our garden a few months of the year… Thanks for this easy alternative!
    I might even try it with fresh herbs and freeze it…after being processed I don’t think the frozen texture would be an issue.

Stephanie — May 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm

In pictures you have garlic powder but it’s not in recipe written out looks like you may have put garlic amount with salt and then no 2 1/4 salt hope that makes sense. Thought it was fishy with no garlic lol! Love the blog use it all the time.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 18th, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

Oh my goodness Stephanie! Thanks so much! I’ve made the changes! 🙂

monica — May 24, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Delicious! I put a little too much buttermilk in for my liking but like you said the icebox adds to it. I had not used Hidden Valley for years, trying other organic brands and then went back to HV but my taste buds said “yuck” so returned it to the store. This homemade recipe is outstanding. Thank you so much, Stephanie!

Jen — June 2, 2014 at 12:13 am

How much would you say it costs to make this?

We are pinching pennies (whos not right?) right now and I’m excited to have found your blog but I’m curious the “cost” of homemade vs store bought.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 4th, 2014 @ 10:05 am

It’s hard to say, I only had to buy the buttermilk powder and buttermilk. Together that was just under 5$. Hope this helps

Jenny Garza — June 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Would kill for somethings that has msg, less sodium than salt with just as much flavor.

Ashley — September 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Can you store the dressing or would it be same day use?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 30th, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

Hi Ashley! Absolutely! It should last a week maybe two 🙂

Gigi — November 18, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is the best homemade ranch dressing, hands down! I’ve tried a ton of recipes online but end up tossing them all till now. I made the dressing first and I did not like the taste of Mayo, yuck! So, I moved on to the Dip mix and lo and behold! you captured the Ranch Restaurant Taste I’ve always wanted. I added about 3 tablespoons buttermilk to thin it out and it was perfect! The ingredients are quite expensive. Dried buttermilk alone is $12 for (2)16 oz. (on ebay) I have most of the spices on hand except Cayenne and Dill weed which was around $8 each in tiny bottle and I’m sure I can make lots more ranch mix with what’s left. I still believe it is worth every penny! 😉

Jill — January 2, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I bet you could mix this with your avacado dressing instead of mayo for a delicious alternative…

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 9th, 2015 @ 12:22 pm

I think you’re a genius! I have to try that asap! 🙂

Nikki — January 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

This looks fantastic!
    In the recipe you say that 2 Tbsp of the mix equals one packet of mix, however when you give instructions for making the dressing, you use 3 Tbsp, of the mix, to make what seems to be the same volume of dressing as the packet would, which is the correct amount?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 9th, 2015 @ 12:28 pm

Hi Nikki! Oops it should read 3 tablespoons equals a packet. Good looking out! Thanks! 🙂

Christine — January 31, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I refuse to buy those ranch packets because of the MSG in them, and the bottled HVR has soy and canola oils, which I also avoid. This morning I mixed up the ranch mix and then made the dressing. This is SO GOOD. I can’t wait to eat a salad again. Thank you for sharing this!

Reason — February 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, so MSG is a naturally occurring amino acid and is perfectly fine, health wise.

So many delusional, unfounded, and misinforming comments.

Heather — February 18, 2015 at 12:09 am

I make this with half mayo and half plain greek yogurt, instead of sour cream. As long as there’s mayo too, it really tastes good.

Teri — May 9, 2015 at 11:01 pm

I have found I cannot have garlic, garlic salt, onion, or onion salt which makes finding a ranch dressing virtually impossible. I am excited to try this recipe and see how it tastes! Thanks for the recipe!

Jenna — September 19, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Late to the party but wanted to say thanks for this! I’m making my seasonal pantry order this week and as soon as my dried buttermilk arrives (along with enough other goodies to keep me busy and playing in the kitchen for a long while) I’m making several batches of this. More and more I am having to go back to basics and make the vast majority of food from scratch (while I confess to not being all that fussed about MSG – I have celiac as well as multiple food allergies. I’m blessed with a husband who, while HE has no issues, has gone GF and all the rest free at home so we can always eat together. Because he is such an awesome guy, I’m all the more determined to not ever let him feel deprived of goodies to eat and am always on the hunt for ways to recreate old favorites.) and I think I just fell down an internet hole with your site. I’m taking tomorrow ‘off’ (spent the last few days hauling wood for the winter and my back isn’t thrilled with me!) and I foresee a lot of time rummaging around your amazing blog and taking furious notes for future kitchen playtime! Thanks for such great work.

Robin — October 9, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Hi. I bought the ingredients to make this recipe. After reading thru this again, I noticed when going thru the steps with the pictures, it says minced onion, but in the actual recipe directions at the bottom, it says onion flakes. Are those the same thing? I only have dry minced onion. I couldn’t find onion flakes at the grocery store. Thank you for the recipe….I will wait for your response and then try making it.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 10th, 2015 @ 10:32 am

Yes, same thing! Sorry for the confusion!

Donna Palmer — March 28, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Try adding dried chives to this!
    I get raves!

Kathy — February 22, 2017 at 10:47 am

Hi Laurie … So glad I found this recipe. I plan to use it to make ranch-seasoned pretzels, by coating plain prezels with oil and dry ranch mix, then baking in the oven for 5-10 minutes. The recipe below calls for gluten-free prezels, but I’m sure it would work just as well on wheat pretzels.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 24th, 2017 @ 8:26 am

Sounds so good, Kathy! I’d love to hear how this worked out for you, with the pretzels! 🙂

Kathy — February 22, 2017 at 10:49 am

Whoops … Forgot my manners … THANK YOU, Laurie!

Cherri Sissel — April 18, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I just tried this dip, and it is awesome. My husband and I like it better than Hidden Valley Sip mix. The only thing we did differently was one less tablespoon of garlic and no minced onion. Very good. Thank you for sharing!!!!@

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 1st, 2017 @ 8:18 pm

I’m so glad, Cherri! Thanks for coming back and leaving a review!

Beth — May 21, 2017 at 7:20 pm

I was also very happy to have a recipe for the base of ranch dressing! I have a question though. When I first mixed it together it was nice and thick. The next morning however it was very thin. Do you have any idea why? I’ve since been mixing it with cottage cheese.
    Thanks
    Beth

Kait — May 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Love this recipe! I’ve tried another online, but this is better. The only unnecessary ingredient (for me) is the sugar. Thank you.