Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream

Homemade chocolate chip coffee ice cream is deliciously vanilla-y, coffee-y and chip-y this ice cream is. It’s like a frappe in ice cream form.

My goal for spring/summer 2014 is to make more ice cream.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com

I set realistic goals, no? It’s not like it’s hard to make it. Not like giving up ice cream would be… yeah, that’s so not ever going to happen. Ice cream is my utter weakness. If I had to pick a favorite… it would be mint chocolate chip orrr plain chocolate. I put down many-o-cups in my lifetime and to be frank… I’m sort of an ice cream snob. Maybe I should say I was a snob because I truly do love trying new ice cream flavors, but I always seem to go back to the simple and classic ones.

Soooo with that being said… I combined my favorite beverage in the whole wide world (coffee) with cute tiny chips of chocolate in a simple ice cream base. I then waited patiently for it to freeze and then waited even more for it to soften so I could scoop it out… all so I could happily spooned it right on into my face in 2.2 seconds, which I think is a record.

I’m thinking I could have just skipped a step somewhere and consume it through a straw in its non-frozen state. Who am I kidding, patience was never my bag.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com ingredients

What I particularly like about this recipe is that there isn’t a custard base. Not that I oppose it… but I just like the less dirty dish approach. Ya with me?

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com white sugar

Measure out 3/4 cup of sugar and pour it into a large 8 cup liquid measuring cup.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com two cups heavy cream

Pour in two cups of heavy cream.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com whisk until sugar is dissolved

Whisk until the sugar dissolves and the cream is frothy.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com whole milk

Add in a cup of whole milk…

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com pour in coffee

A cup of cooled, medium roast coffee brewed strong.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com tablespoon of vanilla

Next measure and add in a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract…

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com whisk to combine

…and whisk until combined.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com cover and refridgerate1 hour

Cover and refrigerate for an hour or so.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com ice cream maker

Bust out your ice cream maker…

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com pour ice cream base

And pour in the coffee ice cream base.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com thick

Turn it on {following your ice cream maker instructions} and once it’s thick and semi-frozen it’s ready.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com add in mini chocolate chips

Add in the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com pour and smooth

Throw it into any freezer safe container. I used a metal pan because the metal pan helps speed up the freezing process… and… well, we all know how I lack patience.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com cover and freeze

I put a little plastic wrap on top and froze it over night.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com scoop!

The chocolate chip coffee ice cream will be hard as a brick so I suggest pulling it out a good 20-25 minutes ahead of time before scooping and serving.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com #icecream

Serve in tiny bowls with tiny spoons.

That’s a lie.

Big bowls. Even bigger… spoons?

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream via www.SimplyScratch.com

What’s not a lie is how deliciously vanilla-y, coffee-y and chip-y this Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream is. It’s like a frappe in ice cream form. Like if coffee, coffee creamer and chocolate chips had am ice cream baby. Too far?

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com

Who’d ever use these itty-bitty spoons anyways?  Nobody.

Enjoy! And if you give this Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream l www.SimplyScratch.com bite

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream

Homemade coffee ice cream studded with mini chocolate chips.

Yield: 1 quart

Prep Time: 1 hour 5 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours to overnight

2 cups heavy cream

2/3 cup sugar

1 cup whole milk

1 cup strong coffee, cooled

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 to 3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips

Add the sugar and heavy cream to a large liquid measuring cup. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Next measure and pour in the milk, coffee and vanilla. Stir, cover and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

Pour the ice cream base into your ice cream maker. Following the instructions to your ice cream maker, mix until thick and semi-frozen.

Pour into a freezer safe container, cover and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight.

Before serving, set out on the counter for 20-25 minutes before scooping.

Enjoy!

39 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Coffee Ice Cream”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 18, 2014 at 6:43 am

Ohhh I just made myself a mocha, and I am wishing I had this chocolate chip coffee ice cream instead! This looks fab…there’s always tomorrow! Pinned 🙂

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:14 pm

Thanks Taylor! <3

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

This ice cream looks freaking unreal! Love it!

Kathy — April 18, 2014 at 9:41 am

I think making more ice cream is a great goal! I didn’t make much last year, I need to fix that this summer.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:13 pm

Make more ice cream = eat more ice cream… obviously it’s a win-win situation 😉

Cassie — April 18, 2014 at 10:48 am

I definitely need to make more ice cream. And I ADORE coffee ice cream!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — April 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

This would be my serious weakness! Love coffee in desserts! And a plus for these ice cream is no eggs – love! Pinned!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:10 pm

Totally… something about having coffee in dessert form, I LOVE IT! Thank you Anna!

Denise — April 18, 2014 at 6:09 pm

We all scream for ice cream, especially with coffee and chocolate!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:09 pm

Especially! 🙂

Vanessa — April 18, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Lovely! I’ve been wanting an ice cream maker for a while. How do you feel about your kitchenaid one? I am de

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:09 pm

I love it! I have a second freezer in the lower-level of my house so I just keep it there, frozen.. so I can make ice cream on a whim. 🙂

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — April 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I definitely have to make this. I love that it isn’t a custard base too! Super easy. I did read you can add a tablespoon of alcohol in ice cream to help it from getting super hard in the freezer.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:07 pm

Oooh that’s a great idea! I’m so adding some rum next time! Thanks for the tip friend!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — April 19, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Ice cream is my favorite dessert too. I just now realize it. It came to mind in that its the one dessert that I wouldn’t/couldn’t give up. All the other desserts that I love, if I could never have them again it would be okay. Coffee and cream go together. Chocolate and coffee go together. Hey, this is a no brainer delicious combo!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

My thoughts exactly Carol! 🙂

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 20, 2014 at 1:53 am

Look how perfectly creamy this is! I’ll take a big cone!

Risa — April 20, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I think I became an ice cream snob when I was ready to commit to it as an acceptable dinner every now and again! Love this recipe, might just push me to bite the bullet and get an ice cream machine.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 10:57 pm

Ha! Risa… when I was pregnant, ice cream was often dinner. Totally an acceptable dinner option 🙂

Katie @ The Surly Housewife — April 21, 2014 at 1:27 am

Oh my word does this look good. I have been going back and forth about buying an ice cream maker. Between the cost and not wanting to gain 900 pounds, I have been putting it off. I really need to bite the bullet I think. Great recipe! Pinned.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 10:56 pm

Dooooo it… and don’t look back 😉

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 21, 2014 at 10:58 am

I love a good bowl of ice cream. And, like you, I’m very picky when it comes to my ice cream. Of course, I prefer my ice cream homemade. This looks wonderful!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

Thanks Jennie <3

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — April 21, 2014 at 3:25 pm

More ice cream is a great goal! This flavor is perfect!

Rebecca {foodie with family} — April 21, 2014 at 8:58 pm

That would probably make my coffee loving husband weep with joy.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 22, 2014 at 8:11 am

I am so, so glad that my sister got me an ice cream maker attachment last year! I don’t use it every day, but when I do, oh I am so happy that I have it.

As a kid, I also was obsessed with mint chocolate chip! But coffee is a close second. This looks so good Laurie!

Paula - bell'alimento — April 22, 2014 at 8:31 am

I’m so excited for Ice cream season. Not that it’s ever not and all but all the same! Yay!

Lolalo — April 22, 2014 at 11:26 am

Putting this on the short list to make SOON! But I’m not waiting overnight. I’m making it in my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker and will have some within an hour! YUM

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — April 22, 2014 at 11:45 am

major prep-pic tutorial on this!!! I love that, clearly

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — April 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I adore coffee ice cream with chocolate. WANT!!!!

Lauren — April 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

My kids and I just made this and ate it! It was very delicious!

Abby — April 28, 2014 at 9:57 am

Where did you get that ADORABLE measuring cup? That is fabulous.

Student — October 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Can you use a blender for this bc i dont have an ice cream maker

Zahn — February 18, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hi, thanks foe this recipe. I have been making ice cream a lot lately. For me and my grandchildren. I have fouled though, that the chocolate child’s get too hard and are not fun to chew. What do you all think. What can I do to incorporate the chocolate since it is my favorite. Thanks.

I am going to make this now!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 25th, 2015 @ 10:05 am

I know what you’re saying. I like using mini chocolate chips for that reason. Have you tried the mini’s before?

Lisa A. Flores-Wolfert — April 24, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Good recipe, but you might want to add the chocolate chips to your instructions. I love my Krups Ice Cream Maker – it doesn’t take much room, it’s incredibly easy to use, and I keep the bowl in my freezer so I can have homemade ice cream ready to eat in about an hour. Now if I only had a cow to have fresh cream any time.

Maria — June 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm

This ice cream is fantastic! I made two batches without the chocolate chips and loved it! Thank you for sharing it!

Becky — June 1, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Thank you for sharing your recipe! I made this recently and wanted to give some feedback. The flavor was great but that the consistency was icy as opposed to creamy, I’m guessing because there are no egg yolks?

Donna — June 22, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Hey Laurie! I was given an ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer last Christmas from my children & their spouses. I’ve been on an “ice-cream mission” lately! My mission also includes eating the ice cream…of course! This recipe looks great and can’t wait to try it! My Daddy is probably the biggest ice cream fan on this planet. I ordered pint sized cartons and will be making him some soon. However, he is 81 yrs. old and has some health issues with his heart. His cardiologist is saying to lay off the sweets and cut back on fat intake. He is not heavy but really needs to follow doctor’s orders. Would you please give me suggestions how to make a lighter and low-fat version WITHOUT sacrificing too much of the goodness? Have you ever done that yourself? Also, do you know whether the stainless steel ice cream bowl works better for prior freezer time? Thanks from Texas