Perfect Roasted Broccoli

We’ve talked about broccoli before.

The BEST Roasted Broccoli  www.SimplyScratch.com

How they have a bad rap. How {most} kids despise them and feed them to the dog or hide them in their napkin instead of eating them. I’m no fool. My sister {or maybe it was just me} would put our bites of baked potato in our glass of milk while pretending to take a drink. Hey… I was a there, man.

What I think is happening or not happening, is that broccoli should be roasted. Always and forever. Unless you like them steamed or grilled or something, then by all means go for it. . But kids, kids should try them roasted first… and this recipe is going to {hopefully} win them over.

The Best Roasted Broccoli l www.SimplyScratch.com ingredients

Ya see, when broccoli, oil and a wee bit of kosher salt are tossed together on an aluminum sheet pan and roasted in a 500 degree oven… magic happens. The oil crisps the green tops and the broccoli stems so that it’s not only caramelized but super crispy.

My nine-year-old won’t eat anything green. But these she did eat… after I bribed her, butttttttt she liked them… she really, really liked them!

The Best Roasted Broccoli l www.SimplyScratch.com lob

Grab your knife and cut the stems off of a head of broccoli.

The Best Roasted Broccoli l www.SimplyScratch.com florets

Trim the broccoli heads into florets, cutting the larger ones in half so they are all pretty uniform in size.

The Best Roasted Broccoli l www.SimplyScratch.com ready!

Like tiny trees.

Best Roasted Broccoli  www.SimplyScratch.com olive oil

Throw the broccoli onto the sheet pan with a heavy drizzle of oil. Because we’re roasting at such a high temp I use either extra light olive oil or safflower oil.

Best Roasted Broccoli  www.SimplyScratch.com salt

Season with a couple pinches of kosher salt, toss them around and then spread them out so they have their own space on the sheet pan.

Best Roasted Broccoli  www.SimplyScratch.com roasted

Roast the broccoli in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the broccoli is a golden dark brown… it should almost look burnt.

Best Roasted Broccoli  www.SimplyScratch.com parmesan

Season with black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

_DSC1744

That’s it! I’m absolutely in love with this broccoli. It goes with just about anything but it could also be served as an appetizer with any kind of dip.

I definitely could eat these like they were salt and pepper potato chips. For real. Who knew broccoli could be so delicious and yet SO easy?

Enjoy!

Best Roasted Broccoli l  www.SimplyScratch.com #easy #healthy #broccoli #sidedish

Perfect Roasted Broccoli

Five ingredients... twenty minutes. My favorite roasted broccoli recipe ever.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings depending

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

1 bunch Fresh Broccoli, trimmed into florets

3 tablespoons of Extra Light Olive Oil or Safflower Oil

Kosher Salt

Black Pepper

Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.

Place the broccoli florets onto the aluminum sheet pan and drizzle with oil. Season with a couple generous pinches of kosher salt, toss and roast for 12-15 minutes. Turn the pan halfway through roasting to ensure even cooking.

Remove, season with a couple pinches of black pepper and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Serve immediately!

68 Responses to “Perfect Roasted Broccoli”

Tieghan — February 4, 2014 at 12:23 am

Roasted broccoli is my go to veggie any time of the year. I to goes with everything I love it when it gets a little crispy!

Emma — February 4, 2014 at 3:55 am

YUM!! Love this!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 9:51 am

Me tooooo! I could eat it every single day :)

Beth B — February 4, 2014 at 5:52 am

I saw a similar recipe on Snack Girl. She adds a pinch of sugar to add to caramelization and also leaves on stems, thinly sliced. It’s delicious and so is your recipe.

I steamed broccoli and served with a little butter and lemon juice recently. After eating roasted broccoli, though, it was disappointing. Roasted is delicious!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 9:50 am

Isn’t it though?? I may have to try the sugar trick… who wouldn’t love more caramelization?

Aparna B. — February 4, 2014 at 8:11 am

See, I was the weird kid that liked broccoli and most vegetables when I was growing up. I guess with the right spices when my mom made mixed vegetable curries or biryanis, it was too good not to eat. I love how cute the florets look in your picture! They look like little happy trees :)

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 9:52 am

As a kid I liked broccoli too! But not baked potatoes for some reason haha!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 4, 2014 at 8:29 am

Annnnnnnnnd THIS is how I eat a whole head of broccoli in one sitting. MMM! I don’t roast broccoli nearly enough and now I want to hit that shhhh like a freight train!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 9:53 am

haha! I agree! Just give me this broccoli and I’m a happy girl! :)

marina — February 4, 2014 at 9:37 am

I pretty much roast every veggie except lettuce! I’m going to try adding the parmesan cheese next time, though, sounds like the perfect finishing touch, like it’s an actual recipe not just roasted veggies!!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — February 4, 2014 at 9:51 am

The best way to eat broccoli! Great pictures :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 4, 2014 at 10:26 am

Everytime we roast broccoli my son finishes most of it before we sit down to eat!!

Murphy — February 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

I made this nearly every night, its sooooo noms.

Gwen @ GwensFishFood — February 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

Funny that you posted this! I love roasted broccoli and other veggies so much that I’ve been working on a post specifically on the wonder and versatility of roasted vegetables! Great minds? ;)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 4, 2014 at 10:35 am

Roasted broccoli is my most favorite of the veggies!! Gorgeous!

Tammy — February 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

Do you realize that it was 1 year ago that you last talked about broccoli? I just checked out the other post and noticed that it’s from Feb 4 too! lol Thanks for the recipe. I’ll have to give this a try. I love broccoli; but don’t make it often enough.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — February 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

I love roasted broccoli! It’s absolutely delicious and changes the flavor so much from steamed. i’ve been making it almost once a week for the winter.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 4, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh, I could eat that entire pan of broccoli! Roasted broccoli is by far my favourite way to enjoy the green stuff, and adding parmesan cheese just makes it even better!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 4, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Roasted veggies all day, every day. Perfect, indeed!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Um, yes! Loved roasted broccoli! Looks delish, friend!

krissyw — February 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

I made Ina Gartens bow tie pasta w lemon, garlic, parm and broccoli last night but instead of boiling the broccoli (eww) like her recipe said I made your roasted broccoli and added it!! Yum it was sooooo good! Thanks!

tesmith — February 10, 2014 at 2:59 am

i wish people would stop with this thing of what kids wont eat.
    in my house you eat what is served or you dont eat……. period.
    in a day or two all food looks good!!!

Adam | Gaming Blog — February 11, 2014 at 2:53 pm

These look amazing!

Martha A Cheves — February 11, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I love roasted broccoli. This would be good with broccoli and cauliflower mixed and maybe some almond slivers. Got to try that one.

Mike N TN — February 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Add a sprinkle of garlic and onion powder to your roasted broccoli. It’s fantastic!

Meredith — March 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This recipe was so easy and yummy. I’m usually one that just throws a frozen bag of veggies in the microwave to go along with dinner. But this recipe required minimum prep work. I ran out of parm cheese on another side dish, so I added some goat cheese and lessen the amount of salt. What a perfect combo…This will be a go to from now on!

donna — March 13, 2014 at 4:14 am

only downside is using an aluminium roasting pan – thought they were bad for you – otherwise love your posts

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 13th, 2014 @ 11:23 am

Hi Donna! Thank you! When I was working my job at a hospital I asked a doctor that very question. His response was that it wasn’t nearly as dangerous as cooking on tephlon or non-stick cookware/pans. So I’m sure if done once in a while it’s fine :)

Courtney — March 18, 2014 at 12:01 pm

love your step by step pictures! really beautiful and helpful!

filipino cuisine — May 4, 2014 at 5:36 am

i like it.its tasty. just yum!

Jeannette — August 31, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I was wondering if Broccoli is able to retain it’s nutritional value after cooking it so much?

Jill — September 1, 2014 at 1:08 am

I saw the title of this recipe and then saw the very short ingredients list and I can’t really say which one of those things I’m most happy about. Will be trying this ASAP.

Aliza — September 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

Would this work with frozen broccoli? Really hard to find fresh where I live.

Myheshni — September 1, 2014 at 7:41 pm

This seems like a good recipe, unfortunately parmesan cheese is not suitable for vegetarians as it contains rennet. This is an enzyme found in the stomachs of new born calves :( Would any other cheese be suitable?
    Thanks

Sarah — September 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I’ve never roasted broccoli before tonight, but I will definitely be doing it again! So quick and easy, but still so tasty! I felt healthy and accomplished. Thanks for sharing!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 23rd, 2014 @ 12:13 am

Thanks Sarah! I’m so glad you liked it! Aren’t the crispy tops the best?

Meg — September 30, 2014 at 2:05 am

I love roasted veggies. I often toss broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, and garlic with a little EVO and salt and roast them on a Silpat on a cookie sheet. Just make sure that the garlic is in big pieces or it will burn before everything else crisps up.

1. Pingback: A Jeffersonian Recipe | The Zen Kat

2. Pingback: Perfect Roasted Broccoli « Recipe « Zoom Yummy – Crochet, Food, Photography

3. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables : Grandmas Cooking

4. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | Monthly Recipes

5. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | SaltyPepper

6. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables

7. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | Lowthorp.com

8. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | Fernanda's Choice

9. Pingback: 15 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables while you are pregnant with recipes | BumpDocs Blog

10. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables - TEA ME TINY

11. Pingback: あなたが野菜にすることができる最もうまいことの27 | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!

12. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables – Healthy Living Tips

13. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | Lepak News

14. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables : Easy Meals for All

15. Pingback: Thursday Treats: Is Time Speeding Up or What?! · Rock n Roll Bride

16. Pingback: Bifrost Photography | Link Round-Up

17. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Vegetables | RealFoodies

18. Pingback: 华人在美必学的菜谱 用普通蔬菜做出27道美味大餐 | 海外头条

19. Pingback: 26 Homemade Vegetarian Recipes - Homemade Recipes

20. Pingback: 26 Really Delicious Vegetable Recipes | Healthy Recipes DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts - DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts

21. Pingback: 27 de las cosas más deliciosas que puedes hacer con verduras - LasSociales.co

22. Pingback: Las cosas más deliciosas que puedes hacer con verduras. | V1H

23. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly

24. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | shopersonline

25. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | Get Motivated

26. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | LifeTitude

27. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | The Professionals in Carpet Cleaning

28. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | The Global Point

29. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | Lifehack – Tips for Life

30. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | News & Stuff

31. Pingback: 10 Vegetable Recipes That Make Them Taste Heavenly | The Today Online