Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps

These delicious sriracha steak lettuce wraps have marinated steak that’s quickly stir-fried, nestled in lettuce and topped with a fresh cucumber relish!

Spicy is my middle name.

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps SimplyScratch.com #glutenfree #dairyfree

Actually it’s Anne, but spicy would be my middle name if I had any say when my birth certificate was being typed up. But then Laurie Spicy McNamara does sound a bit ridiculous now doesn’t it {or do you like it? It is starting to grow on me}.

Mind you, I wasn’t raised liking spicy food. I know my dad likes spicy food but I don’t recall a bottle of any hot sauce being in our fridge growing up. It wasn’t until I met my husband in high school that I was I introduced to Frank’s. Then our good friends turned him on to Sriracha and I naturally fell in-love with that spicy beast and the rest is history. The color of alone should let you know this stuff isn’t for the weak. It’s bold, spicy and amazing. It’s good on pizza, squeezed into pizza rolls, on eggs… the list goes on.

stuff

Now let’s talk cube steak. Cube steak is usually the top round or sirloin cut, pounded with a meat tenderizer or ran through a fancy machine. You’ve probably seen it on Ree’s site for her amazing chicken fried steak recipe. Which I’ve made and it is all that and a BAG! But cube steak isn’t just for chicken frying. Nope… it’s so tender that when you run your knife through it a couple times it resembles ground beef, which just so happens to be perfect in lettuce wraps.

honey

Start by adding 3 tablespoons of honey into a large bowl…

tamari

To the honey add 1-1/2 tablespoons of low-sodium tamari {or soy sauce if that’s your thing}.

lime juice

Then squeeze in the juice from one big, fat, juicy lime.

2T sriracha

Then measure and add in two tablespoons of Sriracha. You could dial it down for less spicy or add one for some major kick. Your call.

coconut oil

And pour in two tablespoons of warmed coconut oil. Olive oil or grapeseed oil can be substituted… but coconut oil is the best!

whisk

Give that a good whisking…

cube steak

Grab your cube steak…

slice

Slice it into thin strips…

dice

Then turn those strips around and run your knife through them once more so it looks all crumbly.

toss

Add it to the bowl with the Sriracha marinade and let the steak soak it up for 30 minutes.

cucumber, red pepper and red onion

I also made a quick cucumber relish of sorts. Really all you need is half of an Engilsh cucumber, half a red bell pepper and half of a small red onion finely diced.

I love the coolness of cucumber with spicy food.

green onions

While you’re at it slice up some green onions, like 4 or 5 depending on their size of course. Mine were dinky, so I went the five route.

ginger

Scoot those onions off to the side and mince up two cloves of fresh garlic.

minced ginger

And a tablespoon of minced ginger.

onions, garlic and ginger

Now we’re ready to wok-it.

coconut oil in pan

Heat a large 12-inch skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil.

add in the steak

Once the pan is screamin’ hot, carefully add the chopped, marinated steak and all the remaining marinade to the hot wok. Be careful not to splash!

I know, I know… I put the meat in first. GAH! I bet I’m making some profeshy chefs cringe right now.

garlic, ginger and green onions

Give it a couple of flips with a spatula and add in the green onions, ginger and garlic.

Remember, you could of course add these first and then the steak, I just started grabbing bowls and not really paying attention. Either way it’ll turn out just splendidly.

bring to a boil

After about four minutes, the steak should be fully cooked and the steak juices will be bubbling in the pan.

slurry

To thicken it up make a slurry of cornstarch and some of the juices and added it to the wok.

saucy

And just like that the sauce has thickened up and made the sauciest steak filling evah!

season with a couple pinches of kosher salt

Lastly, season it with a couple pinches of kosher salt and all that’s left to do is to start filling some lettuce leaves.

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps ll www.SimplyScratch.com #glutenfree #dairyfree #delicious

Finally, top the stuffed wraps with some fresh cucumber relish and fresh cilantro. Now get ready for these sriracha steak lettuce wraps to blow your mind!

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps l www.SimplyScratch.com

Spice… check.

Ginger… check-check.

Mind blown… CHECKITY-CHECK!

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps - www.SimplyScratch.com

If you like steak, spice and lettuce wraps… well I’m betting that this is your jam.

Enjoy!

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps SimplyScratch.com #glutenfree #dairyfree

Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps

Finely chopped cube steak is marinated in the most delicious concoction of honey, tamari, coconut oil and Sriracha. Then it's quickly stir-fried, nestled in lettuce and topped with a fresh cucumber relish for a quick, easy, gluten and dairy free meal or snack even!

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Prep Time: 35 minutes {includes marinating}

Cook Time: 5-10 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

1-1/2 pounds Cube Steak, chopped

3 tablespoons Honey

2 tablespoons Sriracha

1-1/2 tablespoons low-sodium Tamari {or Soy Sauce}

The juice from on large Lime

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil, divided

4-5 Green Onions, {dark parts only} sliced

1 tablespoon minced Fresh Ginger

2 cloves of Fresh Garlic, minced

Kosher salt

Cornstarch Slurry {1 tablespoon cornstarch plus 1 tablespoon of the bubbling pan juices, stir together before adding}

Lettuce Leaves {butter, bib, iceberg or romaine are the best, pick your favorite}

Cilantro

CUCUMBER RELISH:

1/2 and English Cucumber, finely diced {seed sections discarded}

1/2 Red Bell Pepper, finely diced

1/2 of a small Red Onion, finely diced

In a large bowl combine the honey, Sriracha, lime juice, coconut oil and tamari. Whisk until smooth.

Add the diced cube steak, toss and marinate {on the counter} for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, slice up the green onions and mince the garlic and ginger, set aside.

In a small bowl combine the finely diced cucumber, red pepper and red onion.

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add in a teaspoon of coconut oil.

Once hot add in the onions, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add in the chopped steak and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes or until the steak is completely cooked through.

Pour in the slurry and stir. Cook for a minute or two {to cook out the starchy taste}, remove from the heat and season with a couple pinches of kosher salt.

Serve inside your favorite lettuce {butter, bib, iceberg or romaine} and top with a little cucumber relish and cilantro.

Enjoy!

34 Responses to “Spicy Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps”

cassie — December 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

You know this is RIGHT up my alley. Love it!

• simplyscratch replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 9:44 am

I do! I knew you’d be all about these! 🙂

Ali @ Inspiralized — December 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love your step-by-step photos, they are so helpful !

• simplyscratch replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Thanks Ali! Glad to hear it 🙂

steph@stephsbitebybite — December 19, 2013 at 9:14 am

I think you should totally change your middle name!! These look like they’ll brow a little sweaty, YUM!!!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — December 19, 2013 at 10:00 am

I’m definitely trying these. And hopefully it will sooner rather than later! Need me some real food after all this cookie and fudge making.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — December 19, 2013 at 10:07 am

I love lettuce wraps! I’m actually having some turkey lettuce wraps for dinner tonight. This look delicious! I think I might have to sub the cube steak for some ground chicken or turkey but I’m totally going to make these!

Laura+(Blogging+Over+Thyme) — December 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

These look SO good! Could eat a million of them, no problem. Love all the sriracha too 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks Laura! Me too, they’re so addicting!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — December 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh my gaahhh. I’ve been all about steak lately, and these spicy wraps are totally calling my name! Such a scrumptious recipe!

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — December 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love lettuce wraps, and these flavours sound perfect! I’m sure lettuce wraps will be on the menu here as soon as the new year/post holiday sludgy feeling hits 🙂

Kathryn — December 20, 2013 at 6:08 am

Bring on the heat! Love this so much.

Lauren — December 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm

This looks so delicious! I am going to have to make this plus I am a fan of a little spice in my food! Wonderful post 🙂

Lauren,

Vicki in NC — December 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Merry Christmas!
    I found your site this morning as I was searching for a recipe.
    I like! I’ll be reading it often as I love cooking blogs.

Ashley — January 8, 2014 at 9:19 am

I made these for dinner two nights ago and they were delicious! I did cut the Sriracha in half and only use 1 TBSP because I can only handle so much heat 🙂 I could also only find cube steak at one store (I asked for it at 3 different places) and the one that had it didn’t have enough so they suggested using a thin top sirloin instead. It tasted great but was a little tougher than I would have liked. Hopefully next time I can find the cube steak. I used butter lettuce for mine and just put everything over it more like a salad instead of a wrap and also added slices of avocado. The hubby really enjoyed this and said I should definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing yet another great recipe!

Cassie — March 12, 2014 at 1:05 am

This recipe is delicious! My bf and I have made it a few times and tonight we’re experimenting with chicken instead of steak. After reading through the recipe a few times I did notice it calls for lime juice but it doesn’t say when to add it – what do you use this for?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 13th, 2014 @ 11:25 am

Hi Cassie! Thank you so much! The lime goes in the marinade. I’ll make sure to add that to the instructions. Thanks!

Gwen @ GwensFishFood — March 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

This recipe was great! Just the right amount of sweet, tangy, and spicy, and I really loved that the flavor of the lime came through! The perfect Glad-Spring-Is-Finally-Here recipe, and now I can’t wait for summer! I made only a couple of tweaks that I blogged about here: http://gwensfishfood.com/cooking-cure-day-i-dont-know-anymore/. Thanks for the recipe!

Jessica Shumaker — May 12, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I made these for dinner last night with Agave instead of honey and they were FANSATIC!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 12th, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

I’m so glad Jessica! Thanks for coming back and leaving a review

Jade — August 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

Made these the other night and they were absolutely delectable! Even my two year old loved them, but demanded they be on a piece of white loaf bread

Heather — February 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Came across this recipe and gonna try them out tonight! Looks delicious!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 25th, 2015 @ 9:59 am

Enjoy, Heather!

Cynthia — March 23, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I made this for lunch today, with leftover chopped up roast beef. Wow this is my new favorite lunch, it had great flavors going on and was nice a light. Going to try with chicken next time. I didn’t have fresh cilantro so I added a tablespoon of Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado yogurt dressing, http://bolthouse.com/product/cilantroavocado it really complimented the dish…..thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!

plasterer bristol — December 22, 2015 at 3:57 am

This sounds lovely and really tasty. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon

1. Pingback: Lunch. It’s What’s For Dinner. (Cooking Cure Cont’d) | Gwen's Fish Food

2. Pingback: Recipe Ideas for Your Week 4 Produce | Good Food Collective

3. Pingback: 10 Lettuce Wrap recipes - Second Chance To Dream | Second Chance To Dream

4. Pingback: 30 Recipes with Sriracha Sauce

5. Pingback: Sriracha Steak Lettuce Wraps - Kelly Kicks & Steps

6. Pingback: 19 Easy Pre-Made Meals You Can Bring to Work | Millenial Misadventures

7. Pingback: 7 Must Eat Vegetable - MyFutureHealthReset