Pressed Caprese Sandwich

Pressed caprese sandwich; Everything Caprese squished into a crispy panini. Fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella sandwiched and panini’d.

The other weekend I got my gardening on.

Caprese Panini www.SimplyScratch.com

We stopped at this beautiful herb farm just down the road from us and picked up herbs, a tomato plant and upon Pats request… a habanero plant to start. We spent an entire Saturday afternoon, Pat doing the yard work and me pulling weeds and planting herbs like basil, sage, rosemary and cilantro. It was then when I realized I’m completely addicted to gardening.

*side note* who knew pulling weeds works your hammies? Yowza!

herb garden

My family is probably freaking out right now because as a kid, I would pretend to “pull weeds” and really I was just pushing dirt around with my weed puller thingy. It was my least favorite chore… all chores really were/are. But now that I’m {somewhat} an adult… I can’t wait to get out and plant more.

All this fresh herb talk got me hungry, and it’s this time of year that I love making Caprese anything. You can’t beat fresh tomato, fresh basil and mozz together with a little balsamicness. So I had these hoagie-esque buns that needed to be used up before they molded over. So I thought why not make a Caprese panini… with a little balsamic drizzle of course. I’m not wishing for summer to be over or anything… but I can’t wait for tomato season. Garden tomatoes are simply THE BEST!

balsamic 1

Pour a half cup of balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan and bring to a small boil.

bubble

Reduce to a simmer until the balsamic vinegar has thickened and reduced to about 4 tablespoons. Be careful not to let it go too far or it will burn.

olive oil

Drizzle the inner side of the top bun with a little olive oil.

drizzle

Drizzle the inner side of the bottom half with the reduced balsamic.

s&p

Layer the bottom half with a few sliced tomatoes and season with kosher salt and black pepper.

basil

Top with a few fresh basil leaves.

mozz

Fresh Mozz is the only way to do this right. Go grab a ball of it… it will change your life, or at least your panini.

pressing

Now all you have to do is put the squeeze on it by placing it in your panini press.

freshly pressed

Can you even believe all of that is in this almost paper thin sandwich?

Caprese Panini www.SimplyScratch.com

But it is.

Caprese Panini stacked l www.SimplyScratch.com

Best pressed caprese sandwich ever.

The End.

Caprese Panini top l www.SimplyScratch.com

Go get’cha some! {Ps… you know I’m lovin’ that crispy burnt cheese!}

Enjoy!

Caprese Panini www.SimplyScratch.com

Pressed Caprese Sandwich

Everything Caprese squished into a crispy panini.

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes {give or take}

1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar

2 Crusty Hoagie Rolls, cut horizontally

1 large Tomato, sliced

6-8 large Fresh Basil Leaves

1 smallish ball Fresh Mozzarella, sliced

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

In a small sauce pan, pour in the half cup of balsamic vinegar. Bring to a small boil and reduce to a simmer until the vinegar has reduced to about 4 tablespoons. Be careful not to let it burn!

To assemble sandwiches; drizzle the inside of the top hoagie half with a little bit of olive oil, and drizzle the bottom half with the reduced vinegar.

Top the bottom half with slices of fresh tomato and sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. Top the tomatoes with fresh basil and slices of fresh mozzarella. If there's any mozzarella slices leftover you can save them or snack on them. I opt for the latter ;).

Replace the top bun and place it in your panini press. Panini the sandwich for about 4-5 minutes until the sandwich is completely pressed and cheese is oozing out the sides {holla!}.

Let cool slightly before slicing in half with a sharp knife.

Enjoy!

32 Responses to “Pressed Caprese Sandwich”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — June 3, 2013 at 7:59 am

This is brilliant!!!! I have a ton of mozz in the house – what a good idea to reduce the balsamic!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Thanks Liz!

Kathryn — June 3, 2013 at 8:15 am

This is such a perfect summer sandwich!

Tieghan Gerard — June 3, 2013 at 8:25 am

I am so jealous of your garden! I will kill for all those herbs. Send me some? LOL
    This sandwich is so yummy looking! I love caprese anything, especially when it involves melty mozzarella!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 3, 2013 at 9:02 am

This sounds fabulous! I love how paninis can be packed up for a picnic dinner too! Perfect for summer 🙂

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 3, 2013 at 9:25 am

I so wish I had the space for a garden like that! Fresh herbs for a super sammy? JEALOUS!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — June 3, 2013 at 9:37 am

Wow! SUCH a beautiful herb garden! And such a beautiful way to use some fresh basil. This sandwich sounds perfect!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Oh I love this sandwich.

Aparna B. — June 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

Yuuuum! I love caprese anything, too 🙂 My hubby makes a mean caprese panini very similar to this! We like to change it up every now and then and use pretzel rolls, smoked mozzarella or even pesto!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Funny you should say pesto… I made a pesto version for my girls!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — June 3, 2013 at 11:39 am

Gorgeous garden, lady! And I think I’m going to live on this sandwich all summer long. It looks SO GOOD.

• simplyscratch replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Thanks Stephanie!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — June 3, 2013 at 11:40 am

I know what I’m making for dinner tonight! And you have one stellar looking herb garden! See you on Thursday!! EEK!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Thanks Lauren! I know… I can’t EVEN wait!

Robby — June 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm

This has ‘summer’ written all over it! If you’ve got any of that reduced balsamic left, a little drizzle over some berries is delicious. I also recently discovered bottled ‘balsamic reduction’ in the vinegar section at the grocery. For those days you aren’t in the mood to DIY, or your sinuses are not excited about that much vinegar in the air.

• simplyscratch replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

HA! good to know 😉

Daisy Ray @ flowers, fruit and fun — June 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm

We are going to herb plant too! This looks like a great recipe! Great photos!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

oh my gawwwwwwsh, yes!

Julie @ Table for Two — June 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Love your herb garden and I’m pretty sure this IS a life changing sandwich!

Sam Peri — June 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm

This sandwich looks heavenly!! Can’t wait to try it! 🙂

Anthony @ Swanson — June 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

This looks fantastic.

How do I hack making one of these if I don’t own a Panini Press?
    Heavy Cast Iron Pan on top of sandwich on regular grill pan?

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 4, 2013 at 11:44 am

I can’t wait for my garden to grow – all the fresh herbs and veggies are going to be so good!!

Aly Mashrah — June 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I’m not a fan of tomatoes *at all* but seriously, this needs to get in my belly. Right now. Looks so good!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 5, 2013 at 3:50 am

I can’t resist anything “caprese”! And I am very jealous of your gardening!

Kathy — June 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

This looks delicious! This needs to be on our dinner table soon!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 9th, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

Thanks Kathy! It’s so fresh and easy!

Jenny @ BAKE — June 10, 2013 at 5:12 am

What an amazing sandwich! I could do with one now!

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites – 2013.06.07 | This Nest is Best

2. Pingback: Around the Web: Back to School Lunch | SocialCafe Magazine

3. Pingback: The annual Diversity Day at the College of Brockport | bhubbard20

4. Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | August Things

5. Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | Sicilian Sundays: Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms