Spicy Pork Teriyaki Stir-Fry

I hope you don’t mind me doing it again.

Stir-fry that is.

Because I’m on a little stir-fry kick that I can’t seem to shake. Not that I really want to or anything.

Spicy-Pork-Teriyaki-Stir-fry-l-SimplyScratch.com-top

But really this whole obsession started when I got a rice cooker for Christmas {thanks Mom!}. Yup, true story.

rice cooker

Before this beloved appliance came into my life I couldn’t make decent rice to save my life. My rice was so bad I couldn’t tell if it was under-cooked or over-cooked… yeah I know. So when my husband said “finally Laurie, edible rice!” I started turning out rice dishes left and right. Overkill? Maybe.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-stuff

To make this pork teriyaki recipe you’ll need a little bit of the homemade teriyaki sauce I posted yesterday. Along with that, you’ll need  pork {uh-duh}, rice, egg whites, olive oil, cornstarch, chili paste, pineapple, green onions…

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-veggies

Sliced carrots, diced peppers and yellow onion.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-save-the-yolks

The preparation for this recipe is a lot like the sesame chicken recipe, so the next few steps should look familiar. Crack two eggs and separate the yolks from the whites.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-beaten-egg-whites

In a large bowl whisk the whites a little…

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-whisk in cornstarch

Add in the cornstarch, whisk until smooth and set aside for a moment.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-bone-in

For the pork part, I like to use 2 pounds of center-cut loin chops. I have made this with a 2 pound pork tender loin before… and that works too!

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-bone-in

But I like these better. I bought these chops bone-in… because it’s cheaper…

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-tenderloin

And because you get a tenderloin along with the chop. BOOM!

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-bone-out

Run a sharp knife carefully around the bone and discard it once you’re done.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-cubed

Cut the pork into strips and then into one inch pieces.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-S-and-P

Toss it into the cornstarch, season with a couple pinches of kosher salt a good pinch of black pepper. You know the drill!

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-toss

Stir well to coat every piece of pork.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-oil

In a large skillet add a tablespoon of olive oil and heat on medium-high.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-onions

Drop in the peppers, onions and carrots.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-saute

Stir to coat in the oil and quickly cook for 5-8 minutes.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-stir

Let the vegetables sweat, stirring occasionally until they soften but still are a little firm.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-remove-veggies

Remove to a plate and set off to the side for a sec.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-in-the-skillet

In the same pan add in the coated pork pieces and let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-browned

Reduce the heat to medium and let the pork continue to cook and get golden, about 10-12 minutes depending on their size.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry--add-cooked-veggies

Add the vegetables back into the pan with the pork…

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-green-onions

Add in the green onions…

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-pour

And pour in a cup of the teriyaki sauce.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-chili-paste

Then for some heat add in a teaspoon and a half of chili paste. This adds a good amount of heat to the dish without it being overly spicy. Just enough to heat up the back of your mouth and warms your soul. Seriously! It so does! But of course you can add more if you want it hot-HOT.

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-pineapple-added

Last but not least… add in the fresh pineapple chunks. This is my favorite part of the whole dish, the teriyaki soaked pineapple pieces are to die for!

spicy-pork-teriyaki-stir-fry-stir-til-heated

Stir and let this bubble away, heating up the pineapple.

Spicy-Pork-Teriyaki-Stir-fry l SimplyScratch.com

Serve the spicy pork teriyaki over your favorite rice {today I’m having brown!}, drizzle it all with a little remaining sauce in the pan and top with some fresh green onions.

There’s just something about the ease of a stir-fry meal on those nights that you just don’t feel like cooking up a storm and dirtying up every pan, bowl and spatula in the kitchen. I love them… I really, really do.

Now dig in.

Spicy-Pork-Teriyaki-Stir-fry-l-SimplyScratch.com-top

Spicy Teriyaki Pork Stir-Fry

Having a jar of homemade teriyaki sauce in the fridge really makes this quick and easy dinner perfect for a busy work week!

Yield: 6 servings

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

2 pounds Bone-in Center Cut Pork Loin Chop, bone removed and diced into 1" pieces

2 Egg Whites

4 tablespoons Cornstarch

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

2 whole carrots, sliced

1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced

1/4 cup Yellow Bell Pepper, diced

1 medium Yellow Onion, diced

1/4 cup sliced Green Onions, plus more for garnish

1 cup Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

1-1/2 teaspoons Chili Paste {like Sambal Oelek}

1 cup Fresh Pineapple Chunks {not canned!}

4 cups cooked Rice of your choice

It takes exactly 45 minutes for me to make brown rice in my rice cooker and that is exactly enough time to whip this entire dish up. So I start that first and then move on to making the stir-fry.

In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch. Add in the pork pieces, season with a couple pinches of kosher salt and a generous pinch of black pepper. Toss the pork in the egg white/cornstarch mixture and set off to the side.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the sliced carrots, diced peppers and onion. Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a plate when they are slightly softened yet still firm.

Add in the pork and cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes. Reduce the temperature to medium. Turn the pork and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes or until the pork is fully cooked.

Add the vegetables back into the skillet along with the green onions, a cup of the homemade teriyaki sauce {refrigerate the rest for another occasion} and a teaspoon and a half of the chili paste. Stir and let the sauce come up to a simmer.

Once the sauce has reduced a little bit add in the fresh pineapple, stir and heat those through.

Serve the spicy teriyaki pork over rice and spoon a little of the sauce over top. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!

32 Responses to “Spicy Pork Teriyaki Stir-Fry”

Jenn — February 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

Ohhh I know what I’m making for dinner!

Adam — February 8, 2013 at 9:43 am

This sounds great thank you for the recipe.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 8, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love a good stir-fry but I haven’t done one in a while. I’ve always wanted a rice cooker so I get it perfect each time. Do you LOVE the one that you got?

• simplyscratch replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

YES I really do! I swear it may be one of my favorite appliances {next to my Kitchen Aid of course!} :)

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — February 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

This sounds awesome!! We love stir fry so much! Can’t wait to try this one!

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — February 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

I don’t mind at all about another stir fry. at. all.

Lisa L. — February 8, 2013 at 10:51 am

Looks amazing Laurie!!!
    I bought my rice cooker from Loblaw (in Canada). I always get about 1/4 cup of rice burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pot. Let me know how yours does!

L

Jenny @ BAKE — February 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

this recipe is making my mouth water! I’m going to have to make it soon!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — February 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Keep bringing on the stir-fry recipes! We love them in our house so I’ll be whipping this one up soon. :)

Anna @ Hidden Ponies — February 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

I love stir fry but don’t make it often with two kids who give obvious veggies the side-eye. This one looks worth it though – they can have sandwiches :)

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — February 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Yes! This exactly why I need to have a jar of that terriyaki sauce in my fridge at all times!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — February 8, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Beautiful job! I never make stir fry with pork, for some reason I always reach for the chicken. But you’ve inspired me! Next time, it’s pork :)

• simplyscratch replied: — February 9th, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Thanks Jackie… go pork! :)

Tanya — February 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have a question. Could I just use one whole egg instead of two egg whites? I hate to waste the egg yolks since I don’t know what I would use them for. I am assuming it would be fine, and that you tossed the yolks to keep this on the lower end of the calorie scale. :) However, I just wanted to check before I ruined what looks like an awesome recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 9th, 2013 @ 9:58 am

Hi Tanya! Great question… If you use an entire egg it would form a scrambled egg like exterior leaving the stir-fry tasting egg-y, so that’s why it’s important to use just the whites. I store my leftover egg yolks in an airtight container and in the fridge, then add them to my french toast batter or you can make homemade mayo! I believe egg yolks can last 3-4 days in the fridge :) Hope this helps you out :)

a farmer in the dell — February 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

keep the stir fries coming girl! I love em all!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 8, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Hell Yamaha! I love stir fry and am totally going to make your homemade teriyaki and drown my stir fry in a delicious pool of it! Have a fun weekend!

jane — February 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

Really great photos as always, not to mention the recipes….I am a total fan! Well done, all your work is much appreciated!
    Have a nice weekend :)

Linda — February 9, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hi, I’m still reeling over the sesame chicken…but this will be next on my menu. To Tanya, I take the 2 egg yolks and put them in a very small glass and top them with a spot of milk…then use them when I make scrambled eggs, Hope this helps!

Linda — February 9, 2013 at 8:15 am

Opps,
    I forgot to mention that I cover the glass with plastic wrap.

Tanya — February 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for the ideas on what to use the leftover egg yolks for. They will be a part of breakfast tomorrow morning. I just made this, and you might want to let you reader’s know that they should use a nonstick skillet. Everything was great until I added the pork to the pan. It stuck to the bottom, and I had to strong arm it to get it loose. Everything still tasted great, but a nonstick pan would definitely make things go easier. Thanks for the great recipe. I will be eating on it for days. I can’t wait to try the sesame chicken you did a while back.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love stir fry, what a great recipe.
    I couldn’t live without my rice cooker – best thing ever!

Susan — February 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Laurie! haven’t visited in a while, but when I saw your current stir-fry phase, I jumped on board! Your teriyaki sauce is just wonderful. I’m using it to make a chicken teriyaki this evening! Thanks so much for this one! Just subbing in the chicken over the pork … yummah!

Heather || Heather's Dish — February 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm

WHOA MAMA! This looks killer – I love stirfry!!!

Brittany | Life of a Bama Girl — February 11, 2013 at 10:48 am

This looks delicious! Also, I am so glad to hear I am not the only person that can not cook rice. I have a rice cooker/steamer and it has changed my life. Haha.

Maria — February 11, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Made this tonight and it was great! Your photos and descriptions are so well done. You make it so easy to follow along. Thanks.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Yay Maria! So glad :) thank you for stopping by and leaving a recipe review! :)

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — March 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm

This looks like such a great meal! We would love to have you link it up at The Hopeless Housewife Link Party, we are giving away a Le Creuset French Oven.

Meredith — September 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

This recipe was phenomenal. Very easy to put together. I was surprised how well the leftovers re-heated in the microwave. The pork didn’t appear tough at all when re-heated. My husband loved it!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

Yay! I’m so glad Meredith!

Watt Now — April 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm

You’ve done it again. Another recipe my family loved. I made with broccoli instead of peppers and left out the pineapple. Even my youngest pickey eater that hates sauces ate all that was on her plate.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

YAY! I’m so happy to hear that! Thanks for coming back and leaving a comment, much appreciated :)