Homemade Teriyaki Sauce {part 1.}

I broke a promise.

If you follow me on Facebook then you probably saw my post yesterday evening about there being a giveaway today. Welllllll I got my dates all screwed up and I actually have to post that on Monday… I know, technicalities.

BUT… I have a little teaser of a post for you today instead.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Homemade teriyaki sauce.

homemade-teriyaki-sauce-stuff

All you need is 7 ingredients…

homemade-teriyaki-sauce-a-jar

…a big-ol-jar and like, 10 minutes. {Okay maybe you need a blender or food processor too}

homemade-teriyaki-sauce-spices

I already had 95 percent of the ingredients for this {and tomorrows post :) } in my grocery cart when I got to the produce section and found there was only nubs of fresh ginger left… WHAT?! This crap allllllways happens to me!

So I wasn’t about to go back through the store putting stuff back on the shelves… so I just decided to sub with some dry ginger instead of the fresh. Which was good… don’t get me wrong, but I like zee fresh. OH! And then, when I got home I realized I forgot the pineapple juice. I know… I wanted to cry. Instead I took a gamble and used my girls white grape juice… and it wasn’t too shabby. However… I’ll stick to the pineapple juice in the future. It’s just feels right.

homemade-teriyaki-sauce-garlic-brown-sugar-spices-tamari

Start by adding the fresh garlic to the blender or food processor.  I gave it a smash and rough chop before adding it in and pulsing a few times. If you’re using fresh ginger {which I hope you are :)} then peel and roughly chop that too! Then add in the brown sugar, spices and the half cup of tamari.

homemade-teriyaki-sauce-process

Blend until all the ingredients are mixed and the sugar dissolved.

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Pour it into a large jar along with the pineapple juice, shake and *poof* thurrr you go. This can hang out in your fridge for a loooong time, like a month or two or more! I usually use it up before that long of a time BUT the flavors only deepen the longer it refrigerates!

Wait until you see what I made with this tomorrow!!

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Who knew making your own teriyaki sauce was THIS easy?!

Yield: 2 cups

Total Time: 15

2 cloves Fresh Garlic, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped

1 to 2 tablespoons Fresh Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped {or 1/2 tablespoon Ground Ginger}

1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar

1/2 cup Tamari

1/2 tablespoon Dry Mustard

1/4 teaspoon White Pepper

2 cups Pineapple Juice

Place the chopped garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor and pulse.
Add the brown sugar, tamari, dry mustard and white pepper into the food processor with the garlic and ginger and pulse until combined and the sugar is dissolved.

Pour the tamari/garlic/ginger mixture into a large jar and add in the juice. Shake and store in the fridge for a month {may be longer!}.

Note: Soy sauce can be used, but to keep this gluten free use tamari.
Also white grape juice can be substituted if in a pinch!

27 Responses to “Homemade Teriyaki Sauce {part 1.}”

Ashly — February 7, 2013 at 8:24 am

Who knew?? I can’t wait to see what you make with this!!

Jan — February 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

Fabulous!! Who needs store bought?

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 7, 2013 at 9:35 am

I had NO idea this was so simple. Paul loves teriyaki sauce so I’ll be trying this ASAP!

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — February 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

Love this….. plus it’s free of emulsifiers & additives….and you get to reenact scenes from Cocktail while you shake it up.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 11:28 am

HAHA exaaaaactly! :)

Jenn — February 7, 2013 at 11:57 am

If this is anything like your bbq sauce… then oh man am I excited!

a farmer in the dell — February 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Can’t wait to try this! I hate store bought sauces anyway!

Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} — February 7, 2013 at 2:31 pm

If you keep giving us recipes like this one, I’m pretty sure noone would ever notice a little mixaroo. :) This sauce sounds really good, I’m always on the look out for good homemade sauces!

Michelle — February 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm

What a great idea to make teriyaki from scratch! Love it! Can’t way to try it!

Maria — February 8, 2013 at 6:15 am

This post made me laugh because I have supermarket experiences very similar to what you describe above.. I find myself in the produce area complaining (to myself) all the time. I also, very frequently, go home without the one thing I went to buy! I chalk it up to “too much stuff going on in my brain.” Sauce looks good, Now I know what to make with the pork in my freezer! Thanks.

Jenny @ BAKE — February 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

I love teriyaki! I’m going to have to try this recipe!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — February 8, 2013 at 10:53 am

AWESOME! Thank you so much. My husband loves teriyaki sauce and I’d feel better serving him this because you know EXACTLY what’s in it, no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup. Thanks!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — February 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

Laurie, I’m so glad that you persevered and made this sauce any way!

Yesterday it took me three tries before getting my picture put into a frame from Ikea, and I refused to cry.

I think that I will always have a jar of this delicious sauce in my fridge!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — February 8, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Love teriyaki sauce! Can’t wait to try this!

Herbivore Triathlete — February 9, 2013 at 8:15 am

I’m allergic to pineapple, any recipe substitution suggestions? I saw that you used white grape juice but I am not a big fan of grape juice. Would OJ work perhaps?

• simplyscratch replied: — February 9th, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Oh no! Well it may… but maybe a mango juice? If you try it let me know how it turns out :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’m this close to making this and pouring it all over my face. In slow motion.

keri — June 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Looks delicious! We are trying it tonight!
    Where did you get that cute little bird bowl that your dry ingredients are in?

Danielle — October 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’m allergic to pineapples too, and I tend to substitute apple juice for the pineapple juice when making sweet and sour or teriyaki sauces. Its really good, just not as ‘sour-y’ I guess. Its been atleast 15 years since I’ve been able to eat pineapple, so i’m not really sure what flavour it adds other than sweet and tart maybe? But others say apple juice works well in those sauces.

• simplyscratch replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 9:47 am

I know what you mean, maybe a little lemon juice? Hmmm maybe I’ll give it a whirl?

Christina T @ Creating-Serenity — March 21, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Tried this tonight, had to make a few substitutions but nothing drastic. Can’t believe the pineapple juice! Turned out fabulous! Thank you!!

New follower! I might have to stalk you now ;)

Michael Martin — May 9, 2014 at 2:38 am

I had a question: when you refer to Tamari, you mean Tamari soy sauce, right? I just want to make sure. Also, I love your site and recipes, both are just amazing.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Yes! Thank you so much Michael!

Tam — May 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Looks delicious! But it says it yields two cups, but there are 2 cups of pineapple juice in it alone… Not counting the tamari sauce and everything else. Which is the typo?

1. Pingback: Orange Teriyaki Steamed Vegetables | Cookies with Friends

2. Pingback: Homemade Teriyaki Sauce | Tasty Kitchen Ideas

3. Pingback: Cornmeal Biscuits with Cheddar Jalapeno Butter | The Texan New Yorker