Roasted Lemon & White Bean Hummus

I’m a total hummus girl. Slap it on some toasty pita wedges, top it with a little tabbouleh and I’d say that’s my idea of a perfect healthy snack. Okay it’s a snack until I eat the whole bowl… and then it becomes lunch.

I already have a couple hummus recipes posted on SS but I’ve really wanted to make a white bean version for quite a while now. Annnnd I’ve also been wanting to roast some lemons in a real, real bad way.

Two birds. One stone.

scoop
So that’s exactly what I did yesterday! After consuming 4 cups of coffee at my best friend’s house I needed a little somethin-somethin to cure my caffeine-induced jitters. And since hummus is protein-PACKED it was just the thing.

Oh and see those chips? I picked up a gigantic bag of them just the other day at Costco, which by the way is my new favorite place to shop. They’re actually pumpkin seed tortilla chips and I’m absolutely in-love with their flavor and texture… and as an added bonus… they’re totally gluten free! Which means this snack {or lunch} is completely and entirely gluten free! Whoop!

stuff
Making your own hummus is crazy easy, really. All it takes is a few ingredients and a food processor.

lemon
Start by slicing the lemon in half. If you’re opting to roast your lemon then trim a little off of each end so they lay flat in the roasting dish. Why that’s important… I have no idea. Sometimes I just do things, can’t really explain it.

roast
Toss those into an oven-safe dish and roast at 450 for 20-30 minutes. I’ve read that roasting lemons will mellow out the acidity and not to mention bring out all of those amazing juices!

cooled
Let them cool for a bit while you whip up the hummus.

beans
Empty two 14.5 ounce cans of great northern beans into a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and then add them into the bowl of your food processor.

tahini
Measure and add two tablespoons of tahini.

garlic
Press in a clove of fresh garlic.

cumin and salt
Then measure and add in a 1/2 teaspoon of both cumin and kosher salt.

olive oil and lemon juice
Lastly add in the two tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon or so of the roasted lemon juice.

puree
Secure the lid and let’er rip! If you can stand the noise… let it process for a good 3 minutes or so until smooth and creamy.

White Bean Hummus
Pour it all into a bowl and if you’re feeling at all schnazzy… dress it up with a drizzle of olive oil, minced fresh parsley, toasted pine nuts and a little squeeze of the roasted lemon.

To.Die.For.

scoop

Roasted Lemon & White Bean Hummus

Deliciously simple white bean hummus jazzed up with the juice from roasted lemons!

Yield: 2 cups

Prep Time: 35 {includes roasting time}

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

A Lemon

2 cans {14.5 ounces each} Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons Tahini

2 tablespoons Olive Oil

1/2 teaspoon Cumin

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1 Garlic Clove, pressed through a garlic press

2 tablespoons Pine Nuts {optional}

1 tablespoon minced Fresh Parsley {optional}

Olive Oil {optional}

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Have the lemon and trim off the ends so they will lay flat in an oven-safe dish. Roast for 20-30 minutes then remove and let cool.

In the bowl of your food processor, fitted with the blade, add the beans, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, olive oil and a tablespoon or so of juice from a roasted lemon halve.

Secure the lid and process until smooth. Taste and check for seasoning.

Serve as is or dress it up with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle minced parsley, some toasted pine nuts and a squeeze of roasted lemon juice.

Note: To toast pine nuts, simply toss them into a dry pan and heat over medium. Toss every so often until they are fragrant and golden. This should take about 5 minutes.

47 Responses to “Roasted Lemon & White Bean Hummus”

Lisa @ SoTeaBeeZa — January 9, 2013 at 8:56 am

I’m a hummus person, too, and this looks wonderful. I can almost taste it, made into a sandwich loaded with lots of veggies. :)

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:39 am

Yessss! Me too! :)

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — January 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

This is such a great recipe. As with so many other things, hummus isn’t that well known in Austria and you can’t really get a good quality version anywhere so if I want some (and I always do!) I have to make it myself. Your version looks to die for and your photography is just amazing!!

Kathryn — January 9, 2013 at 10:18 am

Such a delicious take on hummus and some really gorgeous photographs. Love everything about this!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — January 9, 2013 at 11:55 am

What a yummy twist on hummus! I really need to find these pumpkin seed chips. I have been obsessed with Beanitos black bean chips which are gluten free… but these ones sound heavenly

Laura — January 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Yum! What a refreshing twist on a classic. Love the addition of roasted lemons!

Aparna B. — January 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Yummm! Girl, that sounds and looks delicious! I love hummus! Being a vegetarian, protein is essential! I love making white bean guacamole, so I could totally see myself making different variations of hummus using the same bean!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:40 am

Ooooh white bean guac… I like! Ps… saw you on Tasty Kitchen the other day!

Rachel Cooks — January 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Gorgeous! Love the idea of roasting the lemons.

Jenny @ BAKE — January 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I LOVE hummus but I agree with you, unless I portion it out onto a plate I will eat and entire batch no problem! I’ve never tried roasting the lemon before I will have to give that a go!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I want to walk down the aisle with this.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hold the phone, I LOOOOVE hummus and have never in my life roasted a lemon! This is geeeeeenius and I can’t wait to try your recipe with white bean deliciousness!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I often find myself eating the entire bowl of hummus too! I just love this recipe! I need to get my hands on some of those pumpkin seed tortilla chips too!

Janis — January 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

So pretty! Now post the recipe for Tabouleh!!

Julie — January 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’ve been wanting to make a white bean hummus for awhile. This looks fabulous!

Tony @ Simple Awesome Cooking — January 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

That’s a cool twist on a traditional hummus to roast the lemons. I imagine there’s a lot of that roasty flavor in the zest….did you find that it gave the juice a different character as well?

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:46 am

Hey Tony! Yeah as far as taste goes the juice was pretty mellow, yet still lemony {ha!} but not a total transformation or anything. My house did smell amazing though!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I love the idea of roasting a lemon! This sounds lovely!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — January 9, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Mmmm, this looks sooo delicious! The roasted lemon sounds incredible!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — January 10, 2013 at 12:01 am

I love a good hummus dip for my veggies or I use for a sandwich spread. This looks really good.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:47 am

Me too Meagan! I agree it’s awesome on a sandwich or roll-up!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 10, 2013 at 2:23 am

I love this white bean version! You never see much recipes for it and I’m so glad you shared it :) I could use this to dip any and everything, for reals.

jane — January 10, 2013 at 6:19 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I am definitely going to try this and the pictures as always are top! Well done, just love reading your Blog!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:47 am

Why thanks Jane! :)

Keisha — January 10, 2013 at 9:45 am

The roasted lemon sounds amazing and I’ve been looking for some healthy snack ideas…this is perfect! Thank you!

Herbivore Triathlete — January 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Never knew you could roast a lemon! This hummus looks fantastic as do the chips, I wish I had a Costco nearby! I could eat the whole batch myself no problem!

Isabelle @ Crumb — January 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love hummus so much that I could honestly sit down and eat an entire bowl for dinner. This white bean version is right up my alley… I tend to add a ton of lemon to my hummus as it is, so your roasted lemon trick sounds absolutely wonderful!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I am in love with hummus lately! I made a version at home recently, but it was just bland. Love the roasted lemon idea, and I need to find those chips at Costco!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — January 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I love hummus made with white beans! The addition of roasted lemon sounds incredible!

Julia — January 11, 2013 at 1:52 am

I love this idea of roasting lemons before adding it to the hummus! I think I just might have to try this recipe. Looks amazing.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 3:49 am

Thanks Julia and lemme know how it goes :)

Jackie @ The Beeroness — January 11, 2013 at 6:24 am

The first time I had hummus I was shocked (shocked, I tell you!) that I had never had it before. SO good. and you can pretty much throw anything in there any it makes sense, somehow. I LOVE this! Pinning :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 11, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Can you believe I’ve never made hummus from scratch before? Yeah that needs to change ASAP. I also have some lingering meyer lemons in the fridge so this here is just perfect!

Lawrence — January 13, 2013 at 1:21 am

My god Laurie.. this looks amazing! Hummus is literally one of my favorite things in the whole world. I just got an awesome food processor and this is definitely the first recipe i’ll be using to break it in. Thanks!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Love, love this. I am sooo stealing/borrowing the roasted lemon idea for my dips!

a farmer in the dell — January 16, 2013 at 2:57 am

This sounds AMAZING! I just stumbled upon your blog and I am so happy I did. I am already a fan! Your recipes sound/look fantastic. My husband and I are organic farmers so we have lots of produce that we like to cook up. I will definitely be making a lot of you meals!!

Ross — January 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Made this for my mom who is vegetarian. Ended up eating it almost by myself woops!!!

Great receipe!!

Catherine Sawyer — January 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Was so anxious to try this with the white beans instead of chick peas, but it came out very bland. Need to double salt, olive oil and garlic and use juice of one unoasted lemon. It really needed the acid. I did get the Costco chips and they were a great addition.

Mary — January 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This looks amazing! Pinned and I can’t wait to try your hummus recipe! Such a great recipe and tutorial! Thanks for the great share!

CindyW — March 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I’ve made this twice and really loved it. I did make two little changes that I think enhanced the flavor even more. First, before putting the lemons in to roast, I microplaned the zest (which I then put in food processor with the beans) — even more lemony goodness! Second, because I don’t like raw garlic much, I roasted the clove with the lemon.

Thanks for the recipe — roasting the lemon really does make this more flavorful, and we’ve been enjoying the hummus here at my house. :)

• simplyscratch replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

Ooooh I love that you added the zest! Such a great idea… I’ll have to do that next time!!

Melanie — July 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

So I made this recipe yesterday and it is PHENOMENAL. My husband and I ate the entire batch. Oops. I admit, I didn’t have time to roast the lemons (I was starving) so I just used fresh lemon juice. It was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I am vegan, so recipes like this are a find for me!

Love your blog. Thank you!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

Oh yay Melanie! I’m so glad :)

melissa — February 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

great recipe! it’s one of our new favorites.

amanda — March 31, 2014 at 7:55 pm

i like the idea of the ingredients in hummus. what i don’t like is the sharp bite of the raw lemon & garlic…do you think this recipe would out work if the garlic were roasted as well??

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 10:00 pm

Absolutely Amanda! Garlic get’s sweet as it roasts. I’d definitely give it a try :)