Cheesy Roasted Butternut Squash Rigatoni

Am I late?

Ya-know too late to jump on the butternut squash train? I know your eyes have been bludgeoned with a gazillion ways to use butternut squash, but really what’s one more recipe? Because this one is pretty darn tasty AND it was the first “mac & cheese” recipe I made in my 20′s… that was edible. True story.

Thanks to Rachel Ray and her body suits, I was able to make mac & cheese… successfully.

Over the years I’ve played with her recipe to meet my taste-buds, but I think you’ll approve. It all starts with butternut squash. Halved, seeds removed, sprinkled with a smidgen of kosher salt and roasted in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes until it’s fork tender. Super. Duper. Easy.

Rachel’s recipe is similar, but hers calls for frozen squash… and well, you know how I love making my own purees. So I did.

Then I carefully remove the squash leaving the skin behind and puree it for what feels like forever, leaving my ears ringing and yet yielding the prettiest puree I ever did see. You can either use this right away or freeze it for up to two months! I did both.

For this recipe you’ll need cheese, cheese and pasta. Okay… sage and a few other things, but this is a fast moving recipe so have a LARGE pot of water boiling and all your ingredients measured and by the stove top which will help speed it all along nicely.

I start by doing the prep work i.e. mincing up a large shallot…

…and mincing up two cloves of garlic.

In a good size pot over medium heat, I threw in a couple tablespoons of butter to melt.

Once the butter has melted I added in the minced shallots and garlic. I gave it a good stir and let it cook until they softened. About 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile I plucked ten-ish or twelve-ish beautiful, soft, fresh sage leaves, *sniiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffff* ahhh… amazing.

Then I tore them in to wittle-itty-bitty pieces and threw them in with the shallots and garlic… muh-haHAAA!

Oh-um sorry.

Okay, so I scootched those off to the side, dropped in three more tablespoons of butter and waited patiently for that to melt.

Once melted, I sprinkled in three tablespoons of flour.

I whisked it all together and let the flour cook for a minute.

In that minute I dropped in the pound of rigatoni noodles and seasoned the water with a tablespoon of kosher salt.

Oh and now’s a good time to preheat your broiler on high or to 500 degrees!

Moving back to the sauce; I whisked in the chicken stock and the half & half and seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper and nutmeg. I go easy on the salt because of the cheese that I’ll be adding later. But I go heavy on the pepper.

Now just cook the sauce, whisking every so often, until it thickens. About 4-5 minutes.

Add in the cup and a half of roasted butternut squash puree…

And THAT is what gives this pasta its color!

Now I just throw in the cup of Parmesan cheese…

And a quarter cup of the extra sharp cheddar cheese.

And I whisk it until everything is melty and suh-mooth.

What?

Just about then is when the noodles should be done and I drain them into a large colander…

Before returning them back into the pan.

Then comes the pour-age of the butternut cheese sauce-age. delicious.

Toss. {Velveeta has NOTHIN’ on this!}

A little sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheddar and then I pop it underneath the broiler for about 4 minutes.

Oh yes. Crispy cheddar top, gooey saucy center… isss goooood.

Dish it up. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley action if you so wish. And shovel. it. in.

Hey, it has squash in it which qualifies this as a vegetable dish! Boom.

Cheesy Roasted Butternut Squash Rigatoni

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Scant 1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg

1-1/2 cups Roasted Butternut Squash Puree

1-1/4 cups grated Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided

1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

1 pound Rigatoni {or any other large pasta}

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

On a rimmed baking sheet place halved squash {cut side up} and sprinkle with a couple pinches of kosher salt. Roast the squash in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.

Remove and let cool enough to touch before scooping the flesh out {discard the skin} and placing it in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth.

Use right away or freeze for up to two months.

FOR THE PASTA:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

In a medium sized pot, over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter.

Add in the shallots and garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes.

Add in the 10-12 torn fresh sage leaves and stir.

Add in an additional 3 tablespoons of butter. Once melted sprinkle in the 3 tablespoons of flour and whisk, cooking the flour for a minute.

Meanwhile add pasta to water along with a tablespoon of kosher salt and cook according to the directions.

Preheat your broiler.

Whisk in the cup of chicken stock and the cup and a half of half & half. Season with kosher salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Cook until thickens about 4-5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low and add in the butternut squash puree, the cup of grated Parmesan and a 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese. Whisk until smooth.

Drain the pasta noodles and return them back to the large pot. Pour butternut squash cheese sauce over top and toss.

Pour into a buttered 13x9 pan and top with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese.

Pop the pan under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and a light golden.

Enjoy!

23 Responses to “Cheesy Roasted Butternut Squash Rigatoni”

Hazel — November 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

Sounds delicious! And I’m always up for more squash recipes, so no worries!

Kathryn — November 14, 2012 at 9:48 am

This looks rich and creamy and wonderful!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 14, 2012 at 11:31 am

This looks like a total delight! Great recipe!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Looks wonderful! Although I have to admit that as much as I love butternut squash I loathe chopping them. The fact that you only have to do it once makes these even better – hah! =)

April — November 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Totally amazing! I can’t wait to try this!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

girlfriend, it’s never too late to jump on the butternut squash train ;)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Aaaaaand I’m blind.

• simplyscratch replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 3:07 am

It’s all that yellowy-orange isn’t it!?

erika — November 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm

The picture of the roasted butternut squash looks so appetizing! I can’t wait to try this!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

This may become my dinner tonight. I LOVE that sauce!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 14, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Definitely never too late for a great mac n cheese recipe and no worries about jumping on the train. The butternut squash train is not a bad one to be on considering it’s tasty and great for you ;) Your mac n cheese looks great and I love that you use sage and parmesan! :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 15, 2012 at 4:14 am

Nonononono, I just meant I’m blind from the beauty! CRAP did I sound mean!? Totally didn’t mean it! I think it looks AMAZING.

• simplyscratch replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 4:22 am

Oh Bev! I was kidddddding! Promise… I accidentely reformatted my camera and my photos have been jenk ever since! You could never be mean my friend… I actually laughed out loud when I read it {I knew what you meant… but couldn’t help myself!} XOXOXOXOX

jane — November 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

This looks delicious and I love the way your photos split into four and the name labeling. I only subscribe to your blog because it is similar in format to mine and so I liked it the minute I saw it! I subscribed about a month ago. Here is my link too, you might enjoy it?
    All the best :)

I have mine just by word of mouth and Link, you won’t find me if you search me, but despite that since I began in March I am near 10, 000 views, so I am quite excited. People over here in Europe don’t comment much though and few are members of “WordPress,” so one only gets a few ‘Likes’ thus I rely on the ‘Views’ to know and my Fb, where all my friends like to comment and ‘Share.’

sarah — November 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Ohhh the cheese!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I’m a bit late on the butternut squash train too so this here is just perfect for me! That cheesy goodness is so inviting!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — November 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Rachael Ray and her body suits – LOVE IT!!!
    This mac n’ cheese looks creamy and perfect!

Dionna Mash — November 15, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Just came across your site and LOVE it! Everything looks so healthy and fresh. I can’t wait to try some of your recipes.

Amanda — November 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Made this last night while my husband is out of town, because he would curl his nose. AMAZING! And I have a week’s worth of leftovers all to myself :)

Our Kitchen Inventions — December 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Gotta try this one…love the looks of that cheesy pasta goodness! LOL!

Rupal — January 6, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Made this a few weeks ago, and it was delicious. My husband has been requesting it ever since. Thanks for the great recipe!

Angelina — November 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Finally made this tonight, for some reason I was really challenged by the thought of butternut puree in the mix (I love butternut squash but have never pureed it and kept imagining baby food…). Anyhow, so glad I faced my fears…this was delicious! So creamy and cheesy and the sage takes it over the top – YUM!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 20th, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

I’m so happy to hear that Angelina!