Easy Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears

Easy and delicious Homemade Sour & Spicy Dill Pickle Spears, or also known as refrigerator pickles. No canning required!

Are you an expert canner?

Every now-and-again I get a email or question regarding canning and I have not a clue what to respond with. My Mom canned a lot when I was a kid (maybe you could email her?) but back then I was too busy “cooking” in my Strawberry Shortcake particleboard kitchen that I never paid any attention. I was only really interested when she was baking. Naturally.

I just remember seeing rows up rows and jars upon jars of bread and butter pickles on the metal shelves in our basement.

Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears l SimplyScratch.com

Needless to say when I want homemade pickled-anything I like a quick and easy recipe. None of that boiling jars nonsense, give me the pickling for dummies version and I will so do it err make it.

THAT is exactly what I have for you today. Sure these need to sit in your fridge for a week or so before snacking… but these pickles are totally worth the wait.

Start by smashing and peeling the garlic cloves.

Throw the smashed and peeled garlic cloves, two per jar… along with two small bay leafs.

Quickly wash and dry some fresh dill…

And pack, about a handful, it into the jars. I just tore and stuffed, I didn’t measure AT ALL.

Now you can’t go using regular cucumbers that you would slice up for salads. You need “pickling” cucumbers or Kirby cucumbers. I found mine at a local farm-stand down the road. The moment I sliced into them they smelled ahhhhhmazing! Nothing beats a veggie from a local garden.

BTW you’ll want to half {lengthwise} and then cut them into thirds aka spears.

Stuff them into large jars.

Cut a jalapeno in half…

And stuff them into each of the jars. These pickles aren’t crazy-blow-smoke-out-of-ya-ears hot… but just a smidgen. It’s good stuff, promise.

But first the vinegar…

Salt… sugar, blah-blah-blah

You’ll need to make sure you have some of these little balls-o-magic. Dill pickles aren’t the same without them.

Add in 4 teaspoons of the balls of magic aka: mustard seed. Are you sick of my aka-ing yet?

Bring it up to a small simmer, stirring just until the sugar is dissolved.

Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears l SimplyScratch.com

Divide it evenly among the jars and top with filtered water to reach the top of the cucumbers.

Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears l SimplyScratch.com

Leave the jars on the counter until cool.

Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears l SimplyScratch.com

Slap the lids on and pop into the fridge for 5 to 7 days.

And just like that… boom.

Pickles.

Before I go, here are some words of warning. You might not want to talk directly into anyone’s face after eating these, unless they’re your enemy. #garlicbreath.

Enjoy! And if you give this Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears l SimplyScratch.com

Easy Homemade Spicy & Sour Dill Pickle Spears

Fool proof pickles.

Yield: 12 servings

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes (plus 5-7 days in the fridge)

3-4 Kirby Cucumbers, washed well

4 cloves Fresh Garlic, smashed and peeled

4 small Bay Leafs

1 Jalapeno, halved lengthwise

Fresh Dill

2 cups Vinegar

3 tablespoons Sugar

4 teaspoons Kosher Salt

4 teaspoons Mustard Seed

Slice cucumbers in half lengthwise then cut into spears.

In two large impeccably clean glass jars; drop in the smashed and peeled garlic cloves, bay leafs and stuff with a handful of fresh dill.

Squeeze the cucumber spears along with one jalapeno half into each of the jars.

In a small sauce pan add; vinegar, sugar, kosher salt and mustard seeds. Heat just until the sugar dissolves. Transfer the vinegar to a liquid measuring cup and pour half the pickling liquid into each jar.

If the pickling liquid doesn't reach the top of the jars, fill with filtered water until the liquid covers the cucumbers.

Let the jars cool at room temperature before securing the lids.

Once cool, place the jars into your fridge for 5-7 days before opening and snacking.

Enjoy!

37 Responses to “Easy Homemade Sour and Spicy Dill Pickle Spears”

Heather @ Heather's Dish — September 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

Is it bad that I would probably double the garlic? 😉

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

HA! Nope… just don’t talk directly to my face afterwards 😉 xo

EmilyKali — September 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

I LOVE pickles!! And I love the spice in these!

Amanda — September 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m a huge DIY “pickler”!! These sound amazing 🙂

Brad — September 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

They look great. Nice photos too!

Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life — September 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Wow, these look amazing and super easy! I may have to give these a go….

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Thanks Dana!

Ann — September 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Lol the Strawberry Shortcake kitchen brings back memories! The 80’s were a good time to grow up. 🙂 I love this recipe. It makes canning look not-so-scary.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

The 80’s was totally fun! It was all about the Strawberry shortcake kitchen, water-wings and cabbage patch dolls!:)

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — September 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Love. I can’t wait to try these!

Cassie — September 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Love the thought of making these at home. My hubs would eat the whole jar!

Amber — September 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Awesome! I’m so making these with the cucumbers from my garden !!than you!

Beth — September 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Is there a reason you do spears? Could I do pickle chips? Theses look so great – thanks for sharing!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Nope no reason… if you want pickle chips, go for it! 🙂

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Homemade pickles?! YES! I’ve always wanted to try it but I just never got around to it! Thanks for reminding me to give this a try. Jason is going to be thrilled. He recently became a pickle fan.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Laurie, I love your floral plate!! it makes your pickles look so elegant. I could literally eat an entire jar of pickles in a sitting. I’d obviously have salt OVERLOAD but whatever, totally a favorite food of mine 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

Thanks Sally! I believe I got them at Pier1! My daughter LOVES pickles too… and always wants to drink the pickle juice!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 26, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I just adore the way you think! I’m obsessed with all things pickled and have never tried pickling anything myself because of my concern over the boiling water/long jarring process and it hadn’t dawned on me that I could still pickle things they just might not last as long (which is fine considering how quickly I’d go through the batch!). Your pickles look great with all that fresh dill and garlic. Easy peasy is the way to go and I bet those spears are very enjoyable! 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

These pickles were made for people like us! Ps. congrats on the TK feature 🙂

Kelsey — September 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Perfection! I can SO do this!!

Elisa {fancyfreeme} — September 27, 2012 at 11:50 am

Ah the Strawberry Shortcake kitchen was the best!! My mom totally kept ours (unbeknownst to me) and brought it out for my daughter to play with. SSC still very cool.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

That is so cool! I wish my mom did that! <3

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm

These sound fantastic! I love how simple this recipe is!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — September 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Oh, there is NOTHING quite like homemade pickles!

Becky — September 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Just wondering how many/what size jars the recipe is written for? 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I don’t can much at all, but I need to start!!

Gail — September 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Just made them – sometimes i make Refrigerator Pickles by Sara Foster and she doesn’t boil the vinegar so thats what I did – just shake the mixture in a jar before added and put in the refrig – These smell so good w/all the dill and jalapeno – sometimes I used red pepper flakes. Can’t wait to try them.

Jessi — October 3, 2012 at 7:07 am

Oh my. I made these last weekend, with the addition of some pickling spice I had lying around. I couldn’t wait the whole 5 days to open them, but holy moly, that is already the finest pickle I have ever tasted! Stank breath, yes. But not kissing my husband for an evening, so worth it. I’ll trade love and affection for these pickles. This one is a keeper, for sure! A tip of the hat to you…

Sandy@Jewel House Studios — October 7, 2012 at 2:15 am

I love my pickles and they’re hard to find without artificial dyes!

Daisy Ray @ flowers, fruit and fun — April 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Would these be sweet pickles if you didn’t put the pepper in, and put more sugar in? I just love sweet pickles! The recipe looks so easy, too! We tried pickles once, and it was really hard. Thanks for sharing!

Brandi — August 31, 2013 at 11:11 am

After the 5-7 days, can I take the pickles out of the fridge and store them on a shelf at room temperature? Silly question huh?

• simplyscratch replied: — September 1st, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Definitely not a silly question. But, no unfortunately you can’t. Since these aren’t canned… it would be best to just keep them in the fridge. 🙂

Susan — September 2, 2013 at 12:59 am

Can these pickles be canned so that they can be stored on a shelf instead of the refrigerator?

Gregg in Italy — September 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

I cant get fresh, or any, dill. However i can get the seeds, go figure. Can I just use the dill seed? I have seen other recipes calling for the seeds instead of fresh. Thanks

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Hi Gregg! I’m honestly not sure, but I did some research and I’ve read that you can. Try a couple of teaspoons per pint of pickles. I haven’t tried this personally, so I hope it works!

Jackie — June 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

These sound winderful! Could you can them? Using a hot water bath?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 10th, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

Hi Jackie! I’m sorry to say but I’m a inexperienced canner… so I’m not sure. This makes such a small batch I just keep them in my fridge for a couple of months.