Simple Spaghetti Carbonara

Carbonara consists of only a few key ingredients.

Eggs.

Bacon.

And CHEESE.

Oh and don’t forget the pasta! Carbonara {heavy on the carb if-ya-know-what-I-mean} is most definitely the easiest pasta sauce you could ever make and NOT screw up. Just simply whisk up a few eggs, lots of cheese and even more black pepper toss it with crispy bacon and the steaming hot spaghetti noodles and bingo-bango you’ve got dinner.

I’m blessed to have the hook up on eggs {Hi Keith!}. I get farm fresh eggs for two dollars a dozen, a total steal {forget that part okay Keith?}! So if you can get your mitts on fresh eggs then I HIGHLY recommend using them here. The eggs are what gives this pasta its golden sheen… and the more organic and fresher the egg, the deeper the color of the yolk.

I’ll let you in on a little secret… farm eggs are even more tastier than store bought! True story.

First things first… bring a LARGE pot of water to boil.

Then move on to the prep work. I always start by placing my eggs in a bowl of semi warm water while I cook the bacon. It helps bring the eggs up to room temp so they aren’t in total shock when the hot pasta hits them.

Next cube up some slab bacon. Pancetta would also work nice here too if you can get your hands on some.

Cook it up until it’s crispy. You may need to taste test a few just to be sure *wink-wink*.

Then just transfer them over to a paper towel lined plate to drain off any extra bacon fat.

Now season the boiling water with about a tablespoon of sea salt and drop the pasta right on in, be sure to stir every so often so the pasta doesn’t stick to itself. You only have about 9-10 minutes… so get moving!

For the saucy-sauce; crack four eggs into a large serving bowl.

Then beat them senseless.

Grate up about a half cup of both Parmesan and Romano cheese. Yooooou might want to taste test this as well… for culinary purposes, naturally.

Add the cheese to the bowl of whisked eggs.

Mix and season generously with fresh black pepper.

When the time is up, drain the pasta {reserve a cup of pasta water if you need to revive the sauce} and add the spaghetti directly into the bowl with the eggs.

Quickly toss… then add in the bacon… and toss some more. The heat from the noodles gradually cooks the eggs {and melt the cheese} without scrambling them, leaving you with insta-sauce.

Serve it up with a little bit more black pepper, a sprinkle of Parmesan and fresh torn parsley, if that’s your thang.

Not only is this pasta dish super-duper easy that your five-year-old can make it… but it’s also super elegant and scrumptious and beautiful and, well you get the picture.

Simple Spaghetti Carbonara

Easy, elegant and scrumptious!

Yield: 6 servings {give or take}

Cook Time: 9-10

Total Time: 35-45 minutes

1 pound Spaghetti Noodles

1 tablespoon Sea Salt, for pasta water

8 ounces Slab Bacon

4 whole large Eggs {farm fresh preferred!}

1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese

1/2 cup Freshly Grated Romano Cheese

Black Pepper

Fresh Parsley, torn for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil.

Place eggs in a bowl with warm water to bring the eggs up to room temperature.

Cube up the bacon. Add the bacon into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

Add a tablespoon of sea salt to the boiling water and add in the dried pasta. Cook accordingly to package directions {about 9-10 minutes}

Meanwhile; crack the eggs into a large {deep} serving bowl and whisk. Add grated cheese and plenty of fresh ground black pepper, stir.

Once pasta is cooked, drain {reserve 1 cup of pasta water in case you need to revive the sauce} and add drained pasta to the bowl. Toss thoroughly to cook the egg and melt the cheese.

Add in the bacon and toss some more. Serve and top with more black pepper, a sprinkle of grated Parmesan and with fresh torn parsley leaves.

Enjoy!

38 Responses to “Simple Spaghetti Carbonara”

DB-The Foodie Stuntman — August 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

Yep. I love carbonara. Did you know how the dish got it’s name? It’s nickname is coal miners’ pasta because all the ingredients in their dried form could be taken for a quick meal without having to come out of the coal mine, with the black pepper representing specs of coal on their pasta.

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

When I want a simple go-to recipe, I literally can always turn to you Laurie. I love carbonara… and I’m not even a big fan of pasta altogether! (weird, I know!) Love this dish and your photos.

Blog is the New Black — August 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

A classic dish I’ve never tried because I am not really a huge pasta person! (Gasp! I knowwww!) However, I’ve been craving it lately- this looks wonderful.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 24th, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Thanks Liz :) and I swear make it once and you’ll be sucked in for life!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — August 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm

this is gorgeous! Great recipe!

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I am a carb addict…this looks perfect :) I love classic comfort food like this!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 24th, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Thanks… me too Anna!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — August 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm

How crazy is it that I *only* made carbonara for the first time last year?!?!?!! Needless to say, I feel madly in love with it!! One of my favorite past go-to’s….so delicious!

Totally jealous of your awesome fresh egg hook up :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — August 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm

When you say things like “eggs bacon and cheese” it makes me wish it were dinner time so that I could slurp up a bowl of this pasta. Looks fantastic!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — August 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

What type of ingredients did you say? Oh, only the best kind!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 24th, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Amen sista!

Bob — August 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’m not a big fan of carbonara for some odd reason even though I love bacon. Your recipe looks so simply and the pictures make the dish look so delicious. Maybe I’ll follow your recipe and give carbonara another shot.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm

drooling. like, the most amount i can drool and not make a total fool of myself.

that may be TMI…oh well ;) seriously though i want some carbonara!

Gwendolyn G — August 25, 2012 at 12:21 am

Thanks, Laurie!! My hubby & I visited Rome this spring and this is ALL he ate that whole week! Your recipe is the easiest, most simple version I have seen and I can’t wait to make it! xo Gwen

joe — August 25, 2012 at 12:56 am

your contact form doens’t work so i’m just going to post here…how come you use so much dairy in everything you cook? I really not a big fan of dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, buttermilk). Can you cook with less dairy?

Julie @ Table for Two — August 25, 2012 at 1:48 am

those 3 ingredients scream my name!! and this has got “julie” all over it. i promise i’ll share ;)

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

One of my favorite pasta dishes!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — August 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm

My favorite pasta dishes are the ones with the simplest ingredients. This is comfort in a bowl!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You can never go wrong with bacon and cheese in my book! My Hubby would really appreciate this dish made from scratch. Thanks, Laurie!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I haven’t made carbonara in too long – looks perfect!

Cassie — August 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This very-well might be dinner tonight. Few groceries in the house due to travel but I think I could whip this up with ease. Looks amazing!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Oh, this is a perfect go-to meal for busy weeknights!

I’m not sure why the “website URL” box is so large, it leads me to believe this is where my comment should go.
    Thank you for this amazing recipe! I have a Guinna Pig to try this on :)

oops — August 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Okay your comment section is listed as such

Leave a Comment: This is in blue

Name: This is where I had to put my email address

Mail: This is where the user name went

Website URL: This is where the comment box went.

I apologize for bringing this to your attention in the comment section.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 29th, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up… I believe it’s fixed now :)

oops — August 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Testing…I hope you can delete these posts later. It still looks like there is an error. :-/ If there is anything I can do to help without posting further, I’ll oblige.

dressnl — August 30, 2012 at 9:11 am

it looks perfect !

Lori De Santis — February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

The ingredients are right, but the preparation is wrong. I am an Italian chef working and living in Italy and the pasta should actually first be tossed in the pan with the bacon, which shouldn’t be removed, and then the egg mix should be added into the pan and cooked for a minute while being continuously mixed with the pasta. Another ingredient used here in Italy is chopped onion which is fried with the onion. You shouldn’t be only mixing the egg with the heat of the pasta. Also, you must not add any water to this.

Kay — May 20, 2013 at 9:53 am

This looks great, and seems so easy! Will be giving it a try this week.

Gaynell — May 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

Thanks for that, Lori – I have a nephew that went to Italy for a couple of years, and it seemed like there was another step there. He didn’t do the onion, which I think is excellent addition!! But I thought the egg was a little more cooked than just tossed with the pasta. Good to know!! Love this stuff!!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 26th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

Hi Gaynell! There are several ways to make carbonara I’m sure, so there might have been an extra step :)

Joan A Hamilton — May 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Just made this for dinner. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself! I was worried that the egg wasn’t cooked quite enough and zapped it for a minute and a half in the microwave, which actually did very little, but made me feel better lol! I’ll let you know if I get sick hah hah!
    I used only parmesan and added a teensy bit of sautéd fresh garlic!

ja — June 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm

hi here in my country the parmesan and romano are so expensive. how about replacing it with ordinary cheese not even cheddar.. would it taste not really good?

• simplyscratch replied: — June 16th, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

Unfortunately I don’t think cheddar would work. :(

Charlie — June 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

A great recipe thanks – I’ve always struggled with it & the eggs go all lumpy, bringing them up to room temp really seems to make the difference. Thanks again!

Lis — September 5, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Mmm! Going to try this for breakfeast soon!