Summer Tomato Vinaigrette

Fresh tomatoes are used to make this light tomato vinaigrette. This vinaigrette is fabulous! Drizzle over your favorite leafy green salad and enjoy!

I love making an bomb vinaigrette. From blackberry to pear and today it’s tomato.

Officially I think this is the last recipe made in our old home. I remember that day perfectly; it was hot and threatening to rain and the only natural light I had was the size of this bowl.

tomato vinaigrette l simplyscratch.com

I was excited to make this salad because it’s been so hot and this salad is cool and crisp and tastes like summer… thanks to the use of fresh to-mah-to of course. I don’t know ’bout you but MAN do I love tomato season!

As awesome as it is, I really wish I could take all the credit for this masterpiece of a recipe but I can’t. I found it in my Bon Appétit mag and was instantly smitten. Tomato grated and spun into a vinaigrette? SIGN ME UP! However, {like usual} I didn’t follow the recipe exactly… we did serve this next to a big thick juicy grilled steak… but I did my own thing when it came to the actual salad part. The vinaigrette stayed the same.

To start you just need a tomato, shallot, red wine vinegar, olive oil and a little s&p.

Cut the tomatoes in half and place a box grater in a bowl.

Remove the stem…

And then grate the tomato, skin side up, until all that remains is the skin.

I then minced up a shallot and threw {about a tablespoon} of that into the grated tomato puree.

Add in the red wine vinegar.

While whisking, slowly drizzle in the light olive oil.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

tomato vinaigrette l simplyscratch.com

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

For the salad I kept it simple. Mixed greens…

My favorite veggies… and then tossed it in a little of the tomato vinaigrette. It was so fresh and light and I actually ate more salad than steak… a first for me!

Enjoy! And if you give this Tomato Vinaigrette recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

tomato vinaigrette l simplyscratch.com

Yield: 1 cup

Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette

Fresh tomato makes this a delicious summery vinaigrette!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Additional Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 medium fresh tomato, halved and stem removed
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup extra light olive oil
  • kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
  • mixed salad greens

Instructions

1. Grate the tomato (skin side up) on a box-grater that is set into a medium bowl. Discard the tomato skins.
  2. Add in the minced shallot, red wine vinegar and slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking fast.
  3. Season with kosher salt and black pepper, then chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
  4. Serve atop of your favorite salad!

18 Responses to “Summer Tomato Vinaigrette”

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Awesome vinaigrette! I’ve only tried the store bought tomato vinaigrettes so I’m excited to try your recipe. I love making salad dressings but get tired of making the same ones over and over, so this is perfect!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — July 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Awesome tomato vinaigrette. I did something like it this weekend, but by accident. heh. Great one.

• simplyscratch replied: — July 23rd, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

I love when that happens! 🙂

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — July 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

What an awesome dressing!

Cassie — July 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I had my eye on this recipe too – I always save so many from my BonAppetit magazine. This looks amazing, Laurie! PS – it’s salad week for our tomato recipe exchange, would love for you to link this!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Thanks Cassie… will do!

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — July 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

After a weekend of a few too many indulgences with my friends, I am CRAVING some fresh summery salads full of veggies. And what a way to top it all off with a homemade tomato vinaigrette! It looks and sounds incredible Laurie! And I’m the same, I can never follow any recipe exactly, I always tweak it somehow!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 23, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Wow, this inaigrette looks so incredibly refreshing! And it definitely screams summer!

Eliana — July 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hmm – looks and sounds like the perfect summer salad dressing!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — July 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm

How clever. I would never have thought to grate a tomato. I’m always looking for a new salad dressing and this vinaigrette looks wonderful!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 24, 2012 at 4:57 am

girlfriend. i need this in my life!

Emmanuelle — July 24, 2012 at 6:28 am

What an interesting vinaigrette, and really original! I’ll try it asap! Thanks!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — July 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

What an interesting dressing – I never would have done anything with tomatoes that way. This has to be incredible with the super fresh garden tomatoes!

Lauren — July 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Looks yummy!

Find a Juicer — July 25, 2012 at 2:26 am

Great! Very nutritious and yummy! A perfect one to prepare for your family with your favorite fruit of veggie juice. Thanks for the recipe.

Jo-Anna — July 25, 2012 at 3:50 am

Mmmm! I’ve never thought of making a tomato vinaigrette, and now after seeing this recipe I’m craving it! Yum!
    Jo-Anna

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

That vinaigrette looks like a perfect change from my normal choices!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 6:35 pm