Homemade Shirley Temple with Cherry Grenadine

This homemade Shirley Temple is made with homemade grenadine for a delicious colorful drink! My favorite childhood beverage complete with sword toothpicks!

It’s the weekend and you probably would get a kick out of making this a little sooner than later. So I’ve decided to give you a fun-little weekend recipe. A bevvy with character, a childhood favorite that’s simple and refreshing and one I happen to still love!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Shirley Temple’s anyone?

I remember vividly. I was like 6, the place was Annie McPhee’s. It was like the ONLY restaurant in my then small town of Ortonville, Michigan. My family would get a giant pizza which came with the most amazing house-made breadsticks I’d ever tasted. My sister Julie and I would kick back with a couple “Kiddie Cocktails” (aka Shirley Temples) with a orange slice and cherry as garnish.

I’d toss that orange slice aside and save the cherry for the very last. It was the forbidden fruit, that maraschino. I could easily sit on the couch and eat a whole jar, make no bones about it.

I like to use lemon-lime carbonated water, you definitely could use 7-up or Sprite but I think this doesn’t make the drink overly sweet. My girls like these a lot and they’re crazy easy to make! You could also make other flavors and jazz these up by using different juices like pomegranate, currant or even blackberry! yumz.

Measure out 4 cups of cherry juice.

Add into a sauce pan…

Then bring the cherry juice to a simmer over moderate heat.

Reduce by half, which should take about 20-25 minutes.

Next, remove off of the heat and add in two cups of sugar. See? Who needs pop when you have all this sugar??

Give it a good stir and let cool completely.

Lastly, add some ice to a gigantic glass or wide-mouth jar.

Then I added in some of that fizz…

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com (homemade grenadine)

A little cherry syrup…

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

How purrrrty!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Complete with maraschino cherries and an orange wedge speared with one of those swashbucklers-sword toothpick thingies. So, so fun and thirst quenching!}

I hope you love this homemade Shirley Temple as much as we do!

Enjoy! And if you give this homemade shirley temple recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

homemade shirley temple l simplyscratch.com

Yield: 10

Shirley Temple's with Homemade Cherry Grenadine

Shirley Temple's with Homemade Cherry Grenadine
Finally a homemade Shirley Temple made with homemade grenadine for a delicious colorful drink! Complete with sword toothpicks!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Additional Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes

Ingredients

• 4 cups all-natural cherry juice
  • 2 cups sugar
  • lemon-lime sparkling water or 7-up soda
  • orange slices, for garnish
  • maraschino cherries, for garnish
  • sword toothpicks

Instructions

1. Heat the 4 cups of cherry juice over moderate heat until simmering. Reduce by half. Remove off of heat then add two cups of sugar, stir and let cool completely.
  2. Recipe makes about 3 cups of syrup. Leftover syrup can be stored in the fridge up to one month.
  3. Fill glass 2/3 full of sparkling water or 7-up, add a third of the cherry juice (more or less to taste) and garnish with fresh orange slices and maraschino cherries.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 58g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 56g Protein: 0g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.

27 Responses to “Homemade Shirley Temple with Cherry Grenadine”

Cathy — March 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

How long does the cherry juice keep? My girls loved Shirley Temples when they were kids and I'd love to surprise them with one now!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I'd say up to a month! 🙂

Amanda — March 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I loved Shirley Temples when I was a kid! I would always order them with extra cherries (the best part!), and I remember this one time they nearly added an entire jar of cherries to mine. I was in heaven. 🙂

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — March 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This sounds really tasty and a lot more cherry flavored than just maraschino cherry juice in 7-up 🙂 I'm going to have to make these for my daughter too! I think I'll add some gin to Mommy's!

• Angel replied: — February 15th, 2018 @ 3:19 pm

I put vodka in mine

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ohhh Andrea, I think you're onto something!!

Blog is the New Black — March 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Laurie, you always impress me!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

homemade Shirley Temples…brilliant!

Made in Sonoma — March 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Told blast from my childhood. Love that you made them homemade. 🙂

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — March 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

My family use to go a small local Mexican restaurant in my hometown and I would ALWAYS get Shirley Temples with extra cherries. I still get these every once in a while when I feel like being a kid again. Thanks for the blast from the past!

Andrea — March 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

looks wonderful

Hester aka The Chef Doc — March 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Oh, I love Shirley Temples 🙂 I can vividly remember my first time drinking one, too. I was on a ship for a wedding reception and was gobbling up those maraschino cherries, haha. Then, I remember spitting the stems out over the side of the ship, lol.

But thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I love the homemade grenadine idea! Now, I have a question–is there a reason you

Bama Girl — March 11, 2012 at 4:51 am

Laurie, thank you for this recipe! I love grenadine syrup, but I don't use it very often. If I make it, maybe I'll use it or freeze it. Blessings from Bama!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 11, 2012 at 5:46 am

Shirley Temples bring me back to my childhood. Can't wait to try these at home. And I love that you used mason jars.

THE TIPSY TART — March 11, 2012 at 7:28 am

I love your blog, love the food you make and absolutely love your photos…you make everything looks absolutely fantastic.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I am honestly not sure I have ever had a Shirley Temple. I don't know how I made it through childhood without my parents letting me have one. We are going to have to have a serious talk this weekend, and then I will have to make these so I can try it!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hester~ you totally could!

Kiri W. — March 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wow, that looks delicious, actually! 🙂 Great recipe, and I love the homemade grenadine!

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 12, 2012 at 3:05 am

Absolutely LOVE these!! So cute.

Jewel at Eat.Drink.Shop.Love — March 12, 2012 at 3:41 am

I love shirley temples! You just made my day.

Rochelle Ramos — March 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

It has got to be at least 15 years (if not more like 20) since I had my last Shirley temple! That drink brings up so many memories it's silly. I can't believe I've never tried to make it. I'll give the cherry grenadine a try, but I'll probably skip on the maraschino (I also had to scroll up to cut and past the word) cherries for either the jarred sour kind or fresh now that I&

Domestic Diva — March 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

OMG I can't wait to try these. I'm pregnant and have to stick to mocktails so I am super excited to try this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I grew up drinking Shirley temples on special occasions. I love them! I need one right now and this syrup sounds killer!

katie@thehillcountrycook — March 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

OMG THESE LOOK SOOOOOOO GOOD LAUREN~!! Like, I need to make them tonight!! 🙂

What do you use to add text to your photos now that picnick is leaving us?? 🙁

heather — July 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm

made these today for my family… we loved them!!! thanks for the recipe 🙂

1. Pingback: How To Make A Homemade Shirley Temple | One Good Thing by Jillee