Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Frittata

Really this recipe should be titled; Glorious Caramelized Onion and Mushroom with Bacon, Thyme and Gruyere Cheese Frittata.

7019647119_538e25e128_z

Because I think every single ingredient is equally important {and delicious!}, but I did want you to be surprised when you scrolled on through this recipe and discovered all the fabulousness it has going on in it. Did I blow it?

Words cannot even describe how unbelievable this ‘ttata is. It’s like once your lips wrap around a forkful you will be transported somewhere fancy and the world will come to a halt for a split second of delicious insanity before you snap back to reality and realize the entire table is staring at you as you wipe the drool from your bottom lip and embarrassingly sip from your OJ hoping that will counter balance the redness of your cheeks. Whaaaaat? That totally didn’t happen to me… uhhhh no, cuz I don’t drool. I’m serious.

Sorry I just like this picture :)

Start off by cracking four eggs and scraping off the leaves of two small thyme sprigs and add in the black pepper.

Whip those until combined.

Quarter up a few crimini {which is a fancy name for baby portobella} mushrooms. It should be about a heaping cupful.

Slice up a sweet onion, about a half cup.

I cooked up some bacon up earlier and roughly chopped it up.

I drained off most of the bacon fat leaving about a tablespoon, and then I threw in a tablespoon of butter.

Added in the mushrooms…

…and the sliced onions. It looks like a lot, but it will cook down quite a bit.

Walk away and give it a chance to soften and brown up.

See… this.is.good. Now reduce the heat to medium-low. You don’t want the pan too hot or when you add the eggs they will burn, k!?

Once the onions/mushrooms are soft and starting to caramelize, sprinkle in the chopped bacon.

Now the pan should be safe to pour in the whisked eggs.

Then evenly sprinkle the Gruyere cheese over top.

Cover with a lid and let it cook for 8-10 minutes OR until the center is set.

Slide the frittata out of the pan and cut to serve.

It’s the perfect harmony of bacon and onion and mushrooms! I saved my leftovers for breakfast and enjoyed them thoroughly!

I’d like to introduce to you… the perfect bite. OHHH YEAH!

PS! Don’t forget to enter my giveaway here! You have until Midnight Thursday to enter!

Caramelized Mushroom & Onion Frittata

Yield: serves 2-4

4 whole Eggs

2 small sprigs of Thyme, leaves removed and stem discarded

1/4 teaspoon of Fresh Black Pepper

4 strips of Bacon

1 tablespoon reserved Bacon Renderings {left in the pan}

1 tablespoon Butter

1 heaping cup of quartered Crimini Mushrooms

1/2 cup sliced Sweet Onion

1/4 {heaping} cup of grated Gruyere Cheese

Crack 4 eggs into a bowl or measuring cup. Add the fresh thyme leaves, black pepper and beat until completely combined and the eggs are light and thick.

In a non-stick skillet cook the bacon until desired crispiness. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and drain of enough bacon fat leaving only a tablespoon. Roughly chop the bacon and add in the one tablespoon of butter and heat over medium heat. Add in the quartered mushrooms and sliced sweet onions, stir and let cook for 10-15 minutes stirring only a few times giving them a chance to caramelize.

Reduce heat to medium-low and give the pan a few minutes to cool down a tad, then add in the bacon and pour the whisked eggs over top. Sprinkle with the Gruyere cheese and cover the pan with a lid. Let the eggs cook until the center is set {about 8-10 minutes}.

Slide the frittata out of the pan and onto a cutting board and slice into equal wedges. Serve immediately with fresh tossed greens and enjoy!

27 Responses to “Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Frittata”

Blog is the New Black — March 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

All my favorite things!

Stacey Rider — March 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Yum… this looks so good as it has so many of my favorites in it. My husband would eat the entire Frittata. Must try this!

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) — March 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Note to self: Do not look at recipes on this website with an empty stomach. Now I am starving. LOL (I pinned this.)

Kavi — March 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Your step by step photographs are just too good! :) I loved the recipe.
    Edible Entertainment

Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Caramelized mushroom and onions, topped with bacon! No doubt, great combo. This recipe looks and sounds amazing.

Megan Pence — March 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I've always wanted to try a fritatta but been too afraid to try. I guess I better get over that and just make it…starting with this one. Seriously woman, you know the way to my heart…I'm drooling, and I'm not embarrassed by it haha

Richard — March 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Love fritattas! This looks great, and the pictures are wonderful.

Aarthi — March 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

perfect frittata..love the combo of mushrooms and onions

Denise — March 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Oh the mushrooms, onions and bacon sound awesome together!! It looks perfect :-) I usually try to flip my frittata which does not always work well and makes me less inclined to make one but yours is perfect without the flip. I think one key is that you use less eggs and such than I do and that you start and keep the temperature low. I am going to try this soon! Thanks. Lovely photos, too!!

PoetessWug — March 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm

One word…just like the perfect bite….YUM! ^_^

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — March 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I'm going to tell you a secret. The Kitchen Witch has NEVER made a frittata! Shameful I know (dodges out of the way while things are being thrown at me). I'm going to change that by making this. It looks beyond delicious!!

Claudia Ficca — March 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm

This looks great! The caramelized onions must add such sweetness ti the eggs

Claudia Ficca — March 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

YUM! This must be so sweet and delicious

Kiri W. — March 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I loove frittata, and caramelized mushrooms are the perfect ingredient :) love the gruyere, too!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Fritattas are my favorite breakfast to make when I have some extra time in the morning. Your recipe looks awesome! I like that it comes out thin! I typically make mine in a casserole dish, but I love your technique of using a skillet for the whole process – elegant and less dishes to clean. YES!

Cassie/Bake Your Day — March 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Awesome combo of flavors, Laurie! I love caramelized onions!

Mary Ellen @ Pâte à Chew — March 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm

What a lovely breakfast (or any meal!). Is there anything better than eggs, gruyere, and caramelized onions1?!

RavieNomNoms — March 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Frittatas are the best. Thank you for sharing this one!

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — March 29, 2012 at 2:49 am

great flavour combo!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Now this will make all my breakfast-for-dinner dreams come true. You're right, all the flavors in here DO sound crucial!

Shara @ Wife To Mom — March 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Oh yum!! This is going on my menu for next week, I can hardly wait!! lol :) Thanks for sharing, love your recipes!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Mushrooms and bacon? Yum! I am not a huge fan of eggs, but I could eat this for sure!

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs — March 30, 2012 at 1:04 am

Yum! I love frittatas SO much, and I always make the same old same old. I love this recipe! Looks like dinner this weekend!
    Jo-Anna

shabe — March 30, 2012 at 3:07 am

i was on pinrerest today and seen that this recipe has been pinned so many times i was so excited for you!!

Kamila Gornia — March 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Ahhh looks so good! I'd love to try it without the bacon!

Tastefully Julie — March 31, 2012 at 1:15 am

Your blog is beautiful! I'm glad I saw you on the top 9. Congrats!

Missy ~Cooking For Two — March 31, 2012 at 2:13 am

Delicious and beautiful. Loved the ingredients and photos!