Homemade Peanut Butter

How many of you make your own peanut butter? I highly recommend attempting this at least once in your lifetime. It’s so easy and to me tastes how peanut butter tasted as a kid, before the hydrogenated oils.

into a jar

When I was little, my Mom bought real peanut butter; ya know the kind with the thick layer of oil at the top that you had to stir-up oh-so-carefully as to not splash the oil onto the counter. Every single time I wanted a piece of peanut butter toast it was a chore and I didn’t like chores, still don’t really.

In this recipe; the peanuts are blended in a food processor, then quickly stored in the fridge and probably will be gone before the oil ever makes its way to the top. I’ve realized I really don’t make my own pb as often as I probably should, but I planned on making some special pb pancakes for two very special girls sooo why not go all out?

I’m not trying to sound like a, oil snob. But for the record I really don’t like to use vegetable oil, for personal reasons… but if you do use it then you could substitute that for the grapeseed. However next time I’m trying this recipe with coconut oil!

You can use salted or lightly salted peanuts. I like using lightly salted, so I can control the salt going into the butter. But I like mine a little under salted. So you’ll have to adjust the salt to your liking.

This is so easy… ya ready?

Dump two and a half cups of peanuts into a food processor.

With the lid firmly attached, blend until it starts to look like coarse wet sand.

While it’s running drizzle in the grapeseed oil.

It’s going to look kinda wet… but just hold on.

Scrape down the sides with a spatula… watch out for those blades!

Put the lid back on and drizzle in the two tablespoons of honey. The honey kind of binds it all together and thickens it up.

TA-DAH! Peanut butter!

Pour it into a jar and bingo-bango.

Creamy… all natural peanut butter. I have to tell ya… don’t expect Jiff or Skippy here. It’s close… but not an exact replica or anything. If you’re one who likes the texture and flavor of an all natural pb.. then this is for you. At this point you could spread it over hot toast or dunk some apple wedges in it… you’ll be in love. But after it’s been in the fridge you might want to set it out for a few to soften it up a bit before using.

Who knows maybe I’ll go real crazy and make my own almond or walnut butter next!

Oh and because I didn’t want to risk it separating or going rancid; I’m storing this jar in the fridge.

Homemade Peanut Butter

Yield: about 2 cups

2-1/2 cups Lightly Salted Peanuts {salted can be used, just reduce the amount of salt used to season}

4 tablespoons Grapeseed Oil

2 tablespoons Honey

Kosher Salt to taste

Place peanuts into a food processor. Turn on and let run until the peanuts are well ground and resembles coarse wet sand. Slowly pour in the oil. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl and replace the lid. While processor is running add in the honey, season with kosher salt according to your taste. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge, but just be sure to let it sit out for a few before using.

*for chunky peanut butter, add in a half cup {or more} of chopped peanuts.

60 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter”

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm

This looks so lusciously creamy dreamy! I've made my own peanut butter but never added honey – good call. The hardest part of the whole process is keeping yourself from diving into the bowl of the food processor!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

oh laurie…it's like we're age-old friend! i LOVE making my own nut butters! although i never did the grapeseed oil thing. definitely a must try!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Sally I totally agree!!

Heather ~ Yes for sure! I swear it's a new addiction, as if I need another food craving!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This looks so creamy and delicious! I never had natural peanut butter until this past year and let me tell you, I'm never going back. I can't believe the difference. The hydrogenated oils freak me out! Can't wait to see you make other nut butters :)

Blog is the New Black — February 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I've made homemade peanut butter once and it wasn't as rewarding as I'd hoped. Perhaps I'll try again using your recipe! :)

Cassie/Bake Your Day — February 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I make my own fairly often. I love adding honey to it, too!

Allison at Novice Life — February 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I keep meaning to try this — how long will it keep in the fridge?

Culinary Collage — February 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

This is a great idea! I'll have to try this sometime soon. Yummy!!!

Bama Girl — February 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hi Laurie! Did you use a can or jar of peanuts or did you roast whole peanuts? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing with us! Blessings from Bama!

Aarthi — February 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This is my favorite one..I love it with toast or as it is..I too have a post about this in my blog

Aarthi

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — February 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

OH haaaaaayell yeah. I've made almond butter, but not ever peanut!

ON. IT.

Irishker — February 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Wow, this looks delish! I've never made my own pb but you've made it look so easy that I think I can give it a try

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — February 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm

A girl after my own heart!

I long for Adam's PB with the oil at the top – it just reminds me of my grandpa. We always had Adam's on toast when I'd visit. Good memories. :)

Maria — February 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Homemade peanut butter is the best!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I want to dive into that jar! I havent made homemade PB in awhile and need to do it again. First, gotta grab those earplugs :)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — February 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Laurie, this peanut butter is a thing of beauty! It turned out so silky smooth. There really is no better taste in the world! Great job.

Turmericnspice — February 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

love the texture ….looks soo good nothing lie home made !! love it !!

Steph — February 15, 2012 at 8:08 pm

mmm…HONEY peanut butter! I love making PB at home, since I seem to go through it like it's going out of style!

Karla — February 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Wow – I will have to give that a try. I have heard of making your own peanut butter but never tried it.

Choc Chip Uru — February 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

What a simple effective recipe – looks delicious and I bet tastes a lot better than store bought :D
    Thanks!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Peanut butter perfection! Love it!

RavieNomNoms — February 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I have never made my own Peanut butter but man does that look good. I wish I could eat peanut butter everyday because it is one of my most favorite things in the world!

Kiri W. — February 16, 2012 at 12:20 am

How cool – I had no idea how to make this, and it looks super creamy! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 16, 2012 at 3:14 am

Too funny; my 6 year old just asked tonight if he could put in a request for something to make for my blog. His request – peanut butter! We did it once, before he was born, I think. Guess I am going to have to do it again!

Baking Serendipity — February 16, 2012 at 3:54 am

I love the thought of making peanut butter with coconut oil! So smart :)

Krissy's Creations — February 16, 2012 at 5:30 am

Homemade Nut Butters couldn't be easier and for some reason I STILL haven't tried it! I need to change that now. Oh, and I'm so with you – I'm kinda an oil snob too :)

Anonymous — February 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hmmm…looks great! My husband loves the natural PB, but I don't like the fact that it separates so I usually like the no salt/no sugar added type, but still has the nasty hydrogenated oil. This may be the perfect alternative for our family. I don't have grapeseed oil as I usually use canola, but could peanut oil be used? (kind of a silly question I know as it is peanut butter, but I

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — February 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Last year I invested in a Vitamix and started making my own PB. Its the best way and only way I eat it now. I love your recipe with the addition of grapeseed oil and a touch of honey. I'm going to try that on my next batch!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I love homemade nut butter but haven't made it in so long! This looks wonderful.

Radhika — February 17, 2012 at 11:58 am

Though I have peanut butter adding honey is new to me. Will try it out when I make the next batch. Happy to be your new follower. Do drop in some time.

Radhika.
    Tickling Palates

Rodzilla — February 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

oh man, coconut oil would be so good.

Spicie Foodie — February 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love pb but the big commercial ones just don't taste good anymore. There is an organic market that sells the natural one where the oil rises to the top- I love that one. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Congrats on the Foodbuzz top 9!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet — February 17, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Congrats for being Top 9 :) Too bad I'm not really a fan of PB but i'm still going to make this once in my life time because I know so many friends who do and I think it'll be a great little gift for them hehe ~

Thanks for sharing!

Magnolia75 — February 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm

It's like you read my mind! I was just thinking of doing something with peanut butter and voila your peanut butter appeared!! Love it, so simple and genius!

Anonymous — February 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm

This looks so good. Why not use peanut oil? (I like both oils, so this is an academic question.)

Jim

Rosendo Hurtado — February 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Genial idea! Me ha encantado!

Ally — February 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I'd love to try making my own peanut butter! Almond butter, too! Thanks for this simple recipe!
    xo

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 28, 2012 at 5:33 am

Anonymous~ I was thinking the same thing… to use peanut oil or not to… It's worth a shot! If you do try it please let me know! :)

kellie2vs — February 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I'm definitely going to be giving this homemade peanut butter a shot! You just make everything look so easy!

April's Clean Eatin' — March 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This is delicious. I made it with coconut oil and well, being one that loves coconut, it is wonderful! My hubby isn't a big fan of coconut and said he could taste it too much. Thanks!

Wickfree Woman — March 9, 2012 at 5:23 am

Not such a peanut butter fan myself, but I might have to make this and surprise the hubby!

Irene Callaghan — April 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

My son made this yesterday and it is delicious. We are trying to eat healthier and this will be a keeper.

dudut — April 17, 2012 at 5:50 am

i sincerely love peanut butter and i am so greatful to stumble upon your site. this recipe is amazingly easy to make!

thanks for sharing!

John Reese — February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hey, I’ve been looking at making some homemade peanut butter for my family, and I came across your post. I love the look of that butter: it’s a lighter color than the jiff but it looks so much more delicious!

I saw these guys use a grain mill to make really creamy peanut butter without any oils. Do you know if you can do it without oil in a food processor or blender? Or do I need to get a mill like those guys were using?

Megan — March 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Yum! This looks great! I made a chocolate version, check it out. http://bedstuyfoodie.blogspot.com/2013/03/chocolate-peanut-butter.html

Anna — March 11, 2013 at 4:15 am

Dear Laurie,
    although this is an older post I still want to thank you for the recipe!
    I made my own homemade peanut butter for the first time last night and I am in love. It tastes delicious! My food processor does not quite blend the peanuts as finely so my butter is not as smooth, but since I like my peanut butter really chunky and added extra chunks I did not mind.
    I was just wondering whether you used roasted or raw peanuts?

Have a great week!
    Anna

almondexpert.com — April 28, 2013 at 11:45 am

Remarkable! Its genuinely amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this post.

Denise — April 12, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I made this peanut butter today. I used coconut oil. It is delicious. My whole family loves it.

Darla Berry — May 13, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I also used coconut oil and mixed nuts

Tara — May 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I make my own PB, not just any old PB but Gourmet Peanut Butters. I use the peanuts and grapeseed oil but I leave out the salt and honey. I currently have 7 different Flavors of PB and I am working on other flavors. My Customers love them and they are great melted and poured over Ice cream, spread on Bagals or just great dipping with graham crackers or pretzels. when making homemade PB don’t be afraid to spice it up a bit, the possibilities are endless and oh so good!!! ;)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 19th, 2014 @ 10:34 pm

7! That’s awesome!!

1. Pingback: Living Naturally :: Customize Your Peanut Butter! « raising vintage kids in a modern world

2. Pingback: Homemade Peanut Butter | Istanbul Moms

3. Pingback: peanut butter | Lemons for Lulu

4. Pingback: Peanut butter Flax Oat Energy Balls « Garneau Home Kitchen

5. Pingback: National Peanut Board » Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes Take Over the Blogosphere

6. Pingback: Living Naturally :: Customize Your Peanut Butter! | Cheeky Bums Blog

7. Pingback: Ev Yapımı Fıstık Ezmesi | Susam ve ben

8. Pingback: I’ve been buying this why? | Mommy's on a Mission

9. Pingback: Peanut Butter and Jelly Stuffed French Toast | Healthy Nutrition Jumpstart