Eggnog French Toast Sticks and Brown Butter Maple Syrup

And just when I thought french toast couldn’t get anymore yummier, a light bulb went off one day while reading my daughters school lunch menu and an idea was born… err, I mean… so I made these cute little sticks.

6468270737_a9ef517ae2_o

Texas toast, cut into strips and dunked into eggnog batter, then sent straight into the oven to bake up nice and crispy. THENNNNN all that was left for me to do to make this breakfast complete, was dunk them into a bowlful of brown-butter maple syrup.

Can you really go wrong when a recipe calls for brown butter?? *sigh* Brown butter…. yeah… could pretty much drink the stuff.

Eggnog. It’s not only for spiking with rum, but it makes an excellent batter for Texas toast! Just remember to measure and leave your eggnog, milk and eggs out for about 30 minutes before using… otherwise it will solidify the butter when it’s added and it’ll be lumpy looking. If it happens it won’t be the end of the world… the batter will just be, well, ugly.

There’s really no particular order when it comes to making these, but here is how it went down.

You need 8 slices of Texas toast, if you can’t find it, try a french loaf and slice it thick. Slice each of the Texas toast slices into three strips and set aside to work on the batter.

In a shallow pan, I use a pie plate, crack some eggs and add in the spices. Because seriously, what’s eggnog batter without a little nutmeg?

Measure and add in the vanilla, eggnog, butter and thin it out with a little whole milk. If you want these like asap and you don’t have eggnog… just use 2/3 cup of regular ol’ whole milk and leave out the extra tablespoons.

Dunk the strips of bread into the batter, be extra careful with those middle sections of bread… they’re frah-geee-le.

While I was dunking I set them on a wire rack to drip off any excess batter… this isn’t necessary, but I do it anyways.

Place the strips close {without touching each other or they’ll stick} on a lined cookie sheet. I swear to you, buy a silpat… it’s twenty bucks, but the best twenty bucks I’ve ever spent.

Bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes.

Flip, and then continue to bake for 10-15 more.

Right after you flip the toast would be a great time to get going on the maple syrup. If you’re still using the log cabin variety of syrups… you should probably stop. Like now. I can’t say if this recipe will taste the same with artificial-maple-flavored-corn-syrup or not… so do take the leap and buy some of the real stuff.

ps… why the tiny handle? Like anyone can actually use that handle for pouring! Pshht!?

Pour about a half cup of syrup into a bowl.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add to it a half stick of butter. Watch it carefully as it melts, bubbles, the milk solids separate, and then start to brown. Right when it reaches a caramelly color {that’s an official blog term btw} remove it from the heat.

Pour the brown butter directly into the syrup… it’s totally meant to be.

If you’re using unsalted butter, throw in a heavy pinch {or about a 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt}.

Stir to combine.

Then you can just pour a little of that deliciousness into a tiny bowl that’s perfect for dunking french toast sticks in!

Seriously these took me back to those elementary hot-lunch days, when it was french toast stick day {say THAT five times fast}… only much, much better!

And that syrup… it’s nutty… sweet and superb! Seriously… I’m considering never consuming regular maple syrup ever again.

Eggnog French Toast Sticks and Brown-Butter Maple Syrup

8-10 thick slices of Texas Toast

4 whole Eggs, at room temp

2/3 cup Eggnog, at room temp

2 tablespoons Whole Milk, at room temp

1/4 cup Butter, melted and cooled to room temp

3/4 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract

1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon Fresh Grated Nutmeg

FOR THE SYRUP

1/2 cup Maple Syrup

1/2 stick Unsalted Butter

1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt, more or less to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat.

Slice the Texas toast slices into 3 strips or "sticks". In a shallow bowl or pie plate; whisk eggs, eggnog, milk, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Quickly dunk the sticks into the batter and place on a rack to drip off any extra batter. Place the sticks on the prepared cookie sheet, place on the middle rack in your oven and bake for fifteen minutes. Flip and repeat for another 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the syrup into a small bowl. Melt the half stick of butter into a small skillet over medium heat. Watch closely till it is a deep golden brown and not burned. Pour into the maple syrup and stir. Season with salt and serve warm with the french toast sticks.

*special tip* After they cool, place them all on a small cookie sheet or plate, set them in the freezer for 15 minutes then store them in a freezer safe container or bags and reheat any morning you want!

43 Responses to “Eggnog French Toast Sticks and Brown Butter Maple Syrup”

Aarthi — December 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

Awesome laurie..What a perfect way to start a day. Seriously i can drink that syrup…. yum yum

Aarthi

warmvanillasugar — December 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

This is just awesome. French toast is my favorite food and I looooove eggnog!

Tina — December 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm

These do make for a delicious breakfast! It has been awhile since I have enjoyed french toast and this version with the eggnog has really inspired. Your pictures are amazing as well as tempting. Great post, saved the recipe!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

absolutely nothing wrong with recipes that call for brown sugar…they tend to be my favorites! and this one? i can definitely see this becoming a favorite…

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

The sticks are beyond adorable and the syrup is killing me. My face would be all up in that bowl of sticky stuff.

P.S. "Meet the Fockers" reference?

Allison at Novice Life — December 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

OMG Seriously? I need to make these NOW!

And how genius to BAKE the sticks. Our french toast never seems to come out right, but maybe if we bake them instead of cooking on a skillet, we'd have better luck!!

Kiri W. — December 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

OMNOMNOM is kind of all I can say. I adore eggnog (I salute you, America, that one you got right), and am dying to try a French Toast version. :)

Val — December 8, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Gorgeous photos and what a deliciously festive way to start the day ;)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Believe it or not, I have never tried Eggnog. I want to eat this whole tray though – oh my heavens. I am going to have to buy eggnog just to try this!

Renee @ The Way to My Family's Heart — December 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Oh my. I'm a sucker for all things eggnog and my favorite breakfast, hands down, is french toast. How thoughtful of you to combine the two for me. I know what breakfast will be tomorrow for sure.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — December 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

This sounds amazing! I also love that you baked it. Making french toast in the morning for 4 kids can be a bit of a chore when you are doing it on a skillet!

Murissa Maurice — December 8, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I am going to make this Christmas morning!!!
    Such a great idea, thanks so much for sharing this with us!
    Happy Holidays!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Melissa // thefauxmartha — December 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Oh em gee! Gee is for genius!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 9, 2011 at 12:47 am

This is so great! Love that they are french toast-sticks, but also just delicious with the eggnog and the brown-butter maple syrup. Great for kids and adults!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 9, 2011 at 12:48 am

These are so great! Perfect for adults and kids! The eggnog is a great way to flavor french toast!

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — December 9, 2011 at 12:49 am

oh my gosh. this looks so delicious, I want to make it right this second.

Jessica @ How Sweet — December 9, 2011 at 1:11 am

are
    you
    serious
    ???

NEED!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — December 9, 2011 at 1:34 am

Wow that looks good! I love french toast…when I was in college I lived on that and peanut-butter toast, haha! The hubs cuts everything into "sticks," he would love this!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — December 9, 2011 at 2:50 am

Oh yeah baby, I want these. Right now. Here. In my mouth.

Parsley Sage — December 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

So good! My gramma used to make French toast sticks and I never thought about trying them myself! Thanks for the recipe share :)

Buzzed!

Yummy Mummy — December 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

okay, my kids would love this and I would love this. Thanks for the inspiration. New follower! I don't know why I wasn't before, we have a lot of blogland friends in common!

Come visit me at http://www.yummymummykitchen.com

Renee @ The Way to My Family's Heart — December 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

So I made these this morning as a birthday treat for my son. I had challah on hand so I used that instead of the texas toast, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Seriously fabulous- I might eat the whole tray before everyone else wakes up. And the maple syrup is to die for.

Jen — December 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Well.. I know what I'm making this weekend!

rach. — December 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm

YUM. oh my gosh. my mouth is watering.

love, rach.

mjskit — December 10, 2011 at 1:11 am

The eggnog batter was pretty decadent but then you added the dipping sauce! YUMMY!

Hannah — December 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I cannot wait to try this! I was going to this morning but ran out of time so maybe tomorrow morning :) Your recipes are so yummy!

dvaaunaturel — December 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Delicious! Saw the post yesterday and had these for breakfast this am. I love egg nog, sometimes with a little extra non kid ingredient (lol), and french toast so I had to try these. Used my whole wheat bread instead since that was on had. Great flavor. Had plenty of leftovers too so next week's workday breakfast will be a cinch!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 11, 2011 at 1:28 am

I think it's so awesome that so many of you are making these! I'm pondering toastin' some up to have as an after dinner snack! Xo

Words Of Deliciousness — December 11, 2011 at 2:09 am

This would be a great breakfast to start my day. Sounds delicious.

Kath — December 12, 2011 at 3:07 am

Love the idea of sticks instead of whole toast!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — December 12, 2011 at 3:22 am

My teenage boys would go bonkers for this. Looks amazing!!!

Kacee — December 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I made these for dinner on Friday. They are SOOOOOOOOOOO good. They don't taste like egg nog which was good because my husband doesn't like it but like regular french toast sticks you buy from the store. I will be making a large batch of these and freezing them. Thanks for the great (and easy recipe)

thesecretlifeofmrsbundt — December 13, 2011 at 2:35 am

I never end up drinking all the eggnog, I love that this is a new way I can use it up! Looks great! Thanks and merry Christmas!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 13, 2011 at 2:54 am

Merry Christmas Mrs. Bundt! :)

Mery — December 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

nice blog…

The Food Hunter — December 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm

this is my hubby's Christmas time breakfast treat.

Joanna — December 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks! My daughter adores egg nog. Her birthday is Christmas. We start off with pancakes or waffles with birthday candles. You've just given me something new to surprise her with that morning. Merry Christmas!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Merry Christmas Joanna!! …and Happy {early} Birthday to your daughter!

kita — December 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I remember these from when I was in elementary school! I was never allowed to have them and all of my friends did. I was so jealous. Now I will just have to make these and finally get to enjoy them. :)

Karla — December 22, 2012 at 7:34 am

I made this last year for Christmas morning breakfast, and LOVED it. I had to come back and get the recipe again for this year. I use whole slices of brioche, but otherwise stick to the recipe. Just wanted to thank you again for bringing brown butter maple syrup into my life.

Heather — April 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Ok I have to ask… Where do you get your fresh nutmeg and other herbs and spices? I’ve made a number of your recipes, by far my favorite has been the calzones btw (OMG!), but I’ve only been doing this cooking for the family deal about a year. Made great progress and learning lots and I love cooking from scratch. My issue has been learning to keep to a budget and find the best value for our dollars, while cooking great stuff from “butt scratch” as my little bro likes to say (ok I say it all the time too). I can generally find cheeses and meats on sale at my local store but would a place like Meijer have the fresh spices or do I have to go to whole foods like place? Maybe farmer’s markets now that the weather’s nice? Sorry for rambling, and thanks for any feedback. Also, thanks for sharing your expertise, seriously those calzones were OFF THE CHAIN.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 27th, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Hi Heather! Yes Meijer would have some fresh spices/herbs {love Meijer!} I love Simply Organic and Penzey’s Spices has a HUGE selection too. The only advice I can really give to keep on a budget is shop sales, use coupons and try to reuse any leftovers for other dishes! I’m so glad you love the calzones… I was just thinking about making some the other day! Have a great weekend!

Daisy Ray — June 4, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I LOVE eggnog, and these look amazing!!!!! Superb!!!!!!!!