Prosciutto Wrapped, Gorgonzola Stuffed Dates with Honey-Balsamic Drizzle

Instead of pies, side dishes or turkey recipes to serve this Thanksgiving, I decided to give you a tasty appetizer.

6348904143_530c34e0e4_o

In my opinion the snacks you serve before could be the most important dish of the entire Thanksgiving menu. What? HOW SO, you ask? Well I’ll tell ya! It gets your guests ready for the main show. It gives them a little peek of what’s in store because we all know, if the apps rock… so will dinner! Okay, that AND it keeps something in there bellies so while they are consuming all those glasses of wine, they don’t pass out before dinner. I’m a total expert in these things.

I’d like to take a moment to break down for you the flavors you will experience with these delicious little bundles. First you have the prosciutto, baked in the oven so they got all crispy…Yum! Then there’s the subtle sweetness of the date along with the pungent saltiness of the Gorgonzola cheese… double yum! There was only one thing left I thought I should do. Make a honey-balsamic reduction. CONSIDER YOUR TASTE BUDS WARNED!

Slice the prosciutto lengthwise. Seriously isn’t everything better when it’s wrapped in prosciutto? Amen.

Next slice one side of the dates getting them ready to stuff!

Pinch some Gorgonzola and fill each date.

Place a stuffed date at one end of a strip of prosciutto and roll.

You could definitely stop here and serve as is, but who could hate salty prosciutto that’s crispy? Not this girl.

Lodge a toothpick straight through the center. Toothpicks aren’t necessary to keep the prosciutto in place, it’s more of a handle for your guests to easily pick these up and stuff their face.

Place on an oven safe baking rack and line the sheet pan underneath with foil to catch any drippings. The rack will help with crisping the entire date without you having to turn. When there is 10 minutes left in baking, start on the reduction.

Measure and pour in 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan.

Add two tablespoons of honey and season with just a little salt and a lot of black pepper.

Bring it up to a rapid simmer over medium heat, whisking until reduced by 75 percent. It should be thick and a darker brown in color. I use a skewer and keep dipping it into the pot until I see those results. This usually takes 7-10 minutes.

On your serving platter, drizzle the desired amount of the balsamic reduction and arrange the dates. Serve warm and enjoy! {I like to drizzle a little extra over top and serve the rest in a small dish on the side too!}

This hors d’oeuvre is super easy, I’m an expert at this because I wrapped all twenty of them! And they taste unbelievable, this is true because I ate all but six of them!

Prosciutto Wrapped, Gorgonzola Stuffed Dates with Honey-Balsamic Drizzle

Sweet dates are packed with tangy Gorgonzola, wrapped in salty prosciutto and topped with a honeyed balsamic drizzle. A perfect finger food appetizer!

Yield: 20

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Total Time: approximately 1 hour

20 pitted Dates, Medjool dates preferred but not necessary

1 package {10 slices} Prosciutto, sliced in half lengthwise

4 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese

Toothpicks

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar

2 tablespoons Honey

A pinch Kosher Salt

1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Slice each piece of prosciutto in half lengthwise.

Cut along one side of each date and stuff with a little Gorgonzola cheese.

Wrap each date in a strip of prosciutto and skewer with a toothpick.

Place on an oven-safe wire rack that is placed on top of a foil lined sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with Honey Balsamic Reduction.

In a small sauce pan, add vinegar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let bubble while whisking till the balsamic reduce by 75 percent {about ten minutes}.

Remove off of the heat and drizzle in the honey. Season with salt and pepper {if desired} and Whisk until combined.

28 Responses to “Prosciutto Wrapped, Gorgonzola Stuffed Dates with Honey-Balsamic Drizzle”

Blog is the New Black — November 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

These would be a GREAT app for the holidays!

Pretend Chef — November 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Perfect appetizer for Thanksgiving.

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — November 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

h.o.l.y. c.r.a.p.

This has just made my day.

Jen at luck&funny — November 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Those are gorgeous! I will try using bacon, I think. Looks like dinner to me!

Jen at luck&funny — November 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Those are gorgeous! I will try using bacon, I think. Looks like dinner to me!

demetrocles — November 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm

AHH sounds so delicious! I'm bookmarking this forever.

Jennifurla — November 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm

It's pretty much food torture everytime I visit here…

Candice @ Sailing on Paper — November 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

Aarthi — November 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm

great appetizer laurie..

Aarthi

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — November 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

OMG!!! Someone brought these once to Thanksgiving dinner but they were prepackaged from Whole Foods. Dont get me wrong they were delicious but these look OUT OF THIS WORLD! I have been yearning for these since that day (which was like 3 yrs ago!) and now this weekend, I must make them! Thanks Laurie!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — November 18, 2011 at 12:59 am

Ooooooh, I LIKE it!!!! I am definitely making these for Thanksgiving!

Yasmeen — November 18, 2011 at 2:27 am

Mmm, my mom used to stuff dates with a sharp Arabic cheese, and I loved the sweet/salty flavor combination. Wrapping them in prosciutto just ups the ante!

Lauren's Latest — November 18, 2011 at 5:11 am

You are SUCH an expert! These look perfect!!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — November 18, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE blue cheese or gorgonzola and dates. Probably my favorite way to eat dates. These look great!

It must be a case of great minds thinking alike – I just recently made dates wrapped in bacon :) !

Sandra — November 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

You got my attention as soon as I read the name of the dish:))) Looks absolutely fantastic, and I can only dream about the flavor!!! Thank you so much for sharing and have a beautiful weekend!!

Nava Krishnan — November 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

Simply superb finger food it will be for me, very nice and love all the pics.

Beth Michelle — November 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

I love dates an cheese! Wrapping it in prosciutto and that balsamic reduction just puts it over the top!!

Baker Street — November 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

this makes for a perfect appetizer for the holidays! love it!

Top Cuisine avec Lavi — November 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

Amazing recipe! May be i try on Christmas dinner!

April — November 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night, and I made these for an appetizer. Super yummy! And even my friend who says he hates blue cheese ate quite a few.

Kelly — November 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Oh my gosh! All my favorite things wrapped up in one tiny bite. I bet I could eat them all myself.

mjskit — November 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I love this version of prosciutto stuffed dates!!! I just want to pick one off the plate and eat it! The glaze is perfect!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfecmtmeals.com — November 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

You're absolutely right that the appetizers make the meal anf these little darlings should be on everyone's menu. Very Mediterranean very delicious!

Kim Bee — November 22, 2011 at 1:03 am

Congrats on top 9! I love these little beauties. I bet the flavor just bursts. Very cool recipe.

Grubarazzi — November 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

This is definitely happening in my kitchen for a holiday app. Wow!

1. Pingback: For Your New Years Party « oh so decadent

2. Pingback: Prosciutto, Date & Caramelized Onion Flatbread Pizza | Bake Your Day

3. Pingback: 20-Minute Creamy Gorgonzola Pasta | Bake Your Day