Banana Walnut Breakfast Doughnuts

I’m reeeeally excited about this recipe and I’m pretty sure you’ll like it too.

nuts

Months back I bought one of those doughnut pans, it was on clearance and I should have bought two! I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to use it for, until today. I was starring at a bunch of ripe bananas and thought to myself how badly I need to use them up before the fruit flies arrive. And my girl’s lovelovelovelove muffins for breakfast. They’re easy and can be a healthy start to the day. So as my eyes bounce from ripened bananas to this doughnut pan and back to the bananas while thinking about they’re breakfast it hits me. Healthy doughnuts! Can it be done?

You know how they say kids will eat anything on a stick. Not true. I put veggies on a stick and they rolled their eyes with an  “Oh Mom puh-lease” as if they were going to fall for that trick. So I’m starting a new rumor… kids will eat anything that looks like a doughnut!

Easy-peasy. These doughnuts are like banana bread but wayyyyy better. I personally feel it’s the chunks of banana baked in… oh momma.

So I know this looks like a ton of sugar, but it’s only three quarters of a cup… I may try these next with a half cup… but I can honestly tell ya that these weren’t too sweet.

To the brown sugar, sift in the flour, salt, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and fresh nutmeg. Now just set that aside for a sec.

I’ve been getting a lot of use out of my potato masher thingy… that’s the official name btw. I kept the banana reeeeally chunky… I like that sort of thing.

To the mashed banana; add the applesauce, vanilla and one whole egg.

Mix until combined.

Combine the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix.

My rule of thumb: if the batter tastes good… then it will taste even better when baked.

I then greased the doughnut pan with coconut oil. You can use butter or extra light olive oil.

Fill each of the doughnut spaces up 3/4 of the way. Slide into a preheated 325 degree oven and bake for 17-20 minutes. I found mine to be perfect at the 17 minute mark, but {say it with me} every ones oven is different… thanks.

Let cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Wait for the pan to cool down significantly before re-greasing and adding more batter. Or just buy two pans instead of one.

Let doughnuts cool completely while you make the cream cheese glaze. Oh yeeeeeeeeeeah… glaze baby!

You didn’t think I was going to leave them naked did you?

Combine softened {even slightly warm} cream cheese with the powdered sugar and vanilla.

Stir then gradually add in the whole milk till you reach a consistency that you like. FYI runny just won’t do… so add more powdered sugar if that happens.

Chop up some walnuts.

Dip the doughnut…

and repeat…

Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

These doughnuts are like banana bread, meets muffin, meets doughnut! So delicious… and not too bad for you!

I had all the intentions of saving these for my daughter’s breakfast. But my bff stopped by with Starbucks and before you know it four were gone. Poof. It was scary.

Banana Walnut Breakfast Doughnuts

FOR THE GLAZE
3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened

3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar

2 tablespoons Whole Milk

1/4 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract

1/4 cup Walnuts, for garnish

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, and grease your doughnut pan with coconut oil or butter.
In a large bowl; add the light brown sugar and sift in the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, set aside.

In a medium bowl, roughly mash up the two bananas leaving them pretty chunky. Add in the applesauce, egg and vanilla. Stir until all the ingredients are incorporated.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. Spoon batter into prepared doughnut pan and fill up 3/4 of the way. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 17-20 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the pan and the doughnuts bounce back when gently pressed. {I'd stick closer to the 17 minute mark.}

While the doughnuts cool. Chop up the walnuts. Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla, stir. Pour in whole milk while whisking until desired consistency. Dunk doughnuts into glaze and set on a wire rack. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve!

40 Responses to “Banana Walnut Breakfast Doughnuts”

Blog is the New Black — October 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Laurie, I love your idea of turning this banana recipe into donuts vs. bread or muffins! how do you get your frosting so opaque? Mine is always too see through!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 14, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Liz~ It has to be on the thick side, not too runny. I think the cream cheese helps it out too! :)

Jennifer — October 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Unusual and so prettily decorated. Sounds like my kind of breakfast with tea. I'd just have to figure out a way to low-carb it and make it gluten-free and sugar free (wink). I'm going to bookmark your recipe for the very reason. Thanks!

Grubarazzi — October 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Unbelievable. I love this. Love love love this. oiling the pan with coconut oil is brilliant too.

RavieNomNoms — October 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm

OH MY GOSH! Laurie!! I am so impressed and I totally wish I would have had this for my breakfast today instead of the apple that I had haha. They look incredible!

Sandra — October 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

What a great idea..I really need this pan..Your doughnuts looks and sound amazing!! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!!!

Deborah — October 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love that you leave your bananas chunky. These look phenomenal!

Lauren's Latest — October 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I am in love with this idea! Must find a doughnut pan! And, beautiful photos, as usual!

vegiebug — October 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

:O! These are beautiful! Look at your perfect glaze!

Melissa // thefauxmartha — October 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I'm with Lauren, I need to go out and find a donut pan asap! These look so darn good!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Here's the deal: you read my mind. This morning I was staring at some bananas and wishing I had a donut pan. Then I find this! It looks so delicious :)

PoetessWug — October 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Now all I need is a hot cup of coffee or some chocolate milk! ^_^

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Jennifer… email me what you come up with! :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Sandra! I hope you do too!

Heather… we are so connected {Just read your post and I'm not a HUGE banana fan either, unless baked in something :)}… scary!

Lauren~ you are too kind :)

Melissa~ Your apple cake for my doughnuts… trade?

PoetessWug… agreed! GREAT with coffee!

S.V. — October 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

These doughnuts look amazing!!! I need to buy doughnut pans man everybody's making doughnuts but me lol. Okay this settles it your doughnuts would probably rock my world as they have everything I love and my kids do to. I need to go buy the pans asap and make these!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food files — October 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm

These look AMAZING. I love the idea of combining a cream cheese frosting glaze with banana and nuts! my mouth is watering looking at these pictures

Nichole — October 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Psst – I'm the bff mentioned and let me tell you the two that I ate were sooo good! Not only did I get to taste test but I got to watch Laurie in action…so fun! xoxo Laurie and keep on going – these were amazing. Oh and when my son spied the one I brought home for him and I told him it was from Aunt Laurie he RAN for it and devoured it.

Allison at Novice Life — October 14, 2011 at 7:20 pm

HOLLA! I have one of these pans and love any excuse to use it :)

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} — October 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Came across this recipe on Pinterest and I can't wait to try these out.

Your blog is beautiful and I love your pictures! I love that you make everything from scratch, I'm also the same way.

Glad to be your newest follower :) I've attached the link to my blog if you wanted to check it out!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 15, 2011 at 12:16 am

Beautiful! These look so good! And I follow the same baking philosophy, if the batter is good, then you know done good!!

Christine's Pantry — October 15, 2011 at 2:38 am

Your doughnuts looks and sound amazing!

Sahrish — October 15, 2011 at 3:55 am

Hi! I am big fan of your blog! Do you think these would be good in muffin tins. College budget… =(

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

Hi Sahrish! Yes… these totally can be made as muffins. Just check them at the 15 minute mark and adjust the time if needed :)

Toni — October 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I'm saving this recipe for when I get one of those pans. In fact I had one in my hand the other day and put it back thinking I would get it later. Now I really need to get it.

my little celebration — October 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Yum! These look fantastic! Banana and walnut is one of my favorite combinations. So I imagine it's heavenly in donut form : )

Jenn — October 16, 2011 at 4:39 am

These sound like the perfect breakfast treat!

Valerie — October 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Those doughnuts are the best doughnuts for me right now, they look beautiful, tasty and I love the light that comes out of them! Amazing…

Mary — October 17, 2011 at 11:24 am

These really look delicious. You keep out doing yourself :-). It is always a pleasure to visit here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — October 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Wow! This looks delicious!!! Bookmarked :)

kita — October 18, 2011 at 12:58 am

Hate to admit this, but I would shove a child to get in line for one of these. They sound rocking.

Ok, I wouldn't realllly shove a child.

Ev — October 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm

OMG!! i wish i could reach into my screen and grab one!

nikev — October 24, 2011 at 6:37 pm

These look good BUT…. if I'm going to buy a pan it has to be for more than 1 recipe…so…I'm counting on you to post more donut recipes!!! Soon!!!! Please and thank you :-)

beti — January 6, 2012 at 6:53 am

they sound and look fantastic! I would love to have them for breakfast

tijuana (po' man meals) — January 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

these looks so good. we always have banana’s in the house since my kids love them. i just made some banana cookies myself. not one left. guess i will have to make these donuts now. :)

Aly Mashrah — February 8, 2013 at 7:14 am

These look awesome! I’ve never thought to make my own donuts before. I’m going to give this a try.

Shannon — April 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

These are awesomely wonderful and so easy to make!!

Madison — November 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Can you follow this recipe and use with a donut maker?

hitendra — January 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Looks pretty amazing, upvoted.

1. Pingback: Food Trend: Going Nuts for Doughnuts | RecipeLionBlog