Barbecue Pheasant {or Chicken} Pizza

I’m married to a hunter. I’ve been made aware of this every single fall since the day we started dating 16 years ago. Back then, I never in my wildest dreams would’ve imagined myself cooking and eating what he brought home. But here I am. A little older, wiser and I actually find the thought of him hunting and me cooking it rather awesome.

6170773547_1665557c0d_o

I realize I am a dork… and I’m okay with it.

Before today, I’ve never broke down a pheasant into parts. Yet, there I stood, squared off with a boning knife, staring down at these two birds ready to attack. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and took a stab at it. 😉 I was amazed how easy it actually was! My knife slid down the keel bone and voila! I removed 4 breasts and then the tenderloins! And it only took me 10 minutes! I was proud of myself and not to mention I felt totally bad ass!

If you need or want to check out an excellent step-by-step to learn how it’s done, then look here.

So when Pat told me we had pheasants, the first thing I thought of was barbecue pizza. For those who haven’t had the pleasure of trying bbq pizza… you are so missing out! You could easily swap out the pheasant for chicken, I just thought how cool would it be to try one of my favorite pizzas this way.

Just sprinkle a chicken {or pheasant} breast with salt, black pepper and a little garlic powder then grill them until they’re cooked through. For pheasants, because the breasts are smaller, it took me about 3 minutes a side. But, once cooked you only need a cup of meat diced up small.

Here is what you’ll need. But, honestly it’s the barbecue sauce totally makes this pizza.

Spread the sauce out over the dough, leaving a little bit of an “edge”. Then, sprinkle with chopped grilled pheasant {or chicken}, onions and crumbled pieces of bacon.

Sprinkle with 6 ounces of freshly grated brick cheese. {I get mine at the deli counter}

With the remaining three tablespoons of sauce, drizzle over top of the cheese. Bake in a 415 degree oven for seven minutes, rotate the pan and cook it for five to seven more minutes.

When the time is up, remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. It’s hard, but try your best to wait.

I have no words to describe how good this pizza smells and tastes! None. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

I’m totally a corner piece kind of gal.

I have a feeling I’m going to be making this pizza a lot this fall! Who’s coming over?

Barbecue Pheasant {or Chicken} Pizza

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

1 recipe for Pizza Dough

1 cup Grilled Chicken or Pheasant, diced small

6 ounces Brick Cheese, freshly grated

4 pieces of Bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/4 cup diced Red Onion, or more to taste

1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cup Homemade Barbecue Sauce, divided

Olive Oil for pan

Preheat oven to 415 degrees

Spread dough evenly on to a 9x13 {or larger depending on how thick you want the crust} baking sheet that was lightly oiled.

Spread the 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce over dough. Sprinkle with pheasant {or chicken}, bacon and red onions. Top with grated brick cheese and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of remaining homemade barbecue sauce.

Bake on the center rack in your preheated oven until cheese is melted and the crust golden. Approximately 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.

19 Responses to “Barbecue Pheasant {or Chicken} Pizza”

Melanie — September 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I adore BBQ chicken pizza! The only thing I do differently is add green onions. And I'm excited about trying your BBQ sauce on it the next time I make it!

Aarthi — September 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

BBQ pizza…Totally yumm…I am coming over..Hope you have some for me…BTW i need the center piece…Because i am a middle girl…

Pretend Chef — September 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I made and blogged about your Homemade Barbecue Sauce the other day. AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love BBQ pizza. I would love to give this one a try.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — September 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a gorgeous pizza!! This looks so delicious and something I would definitely make on the reg 😉

Erin — September 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You are bad ass! Pheasant alone would scare me, but breaking it down too – total bad ass! Pizza looks so good!

Brigitt — September 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This looks amazing – right up my alley! I've been dying to make pizza. Might even have to make this for dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing – your photos are beautiful! I really need to get a better lens for my camera. What do you use?

Bev Weidner — September 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I'll be there in 20.

YOU THINK I'M KIDDING.

Becky @ Becky Bakes — September 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oooh…I am making your bbq sauce this afternoon and I have pheasant in the freezer. I may have to try this later this week! My husband will be tickled if I actually use up that pheasant:-)

RavieNomNoms — September 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm

You are so brave!! I am not sure I could do that haha. This pizza looks really amazing though. Nice job!

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — September 27, 2011 at 12:52 am

you are totally bad ass Laurie! and so is this recipe!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — September 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

My husband would love this…he loves anything BBQ! It looks beautiful too.

Lauren's Latest — September 27, 2011 at 5:43 pm

You just brought back a flood of memories from my childhood because you used brick cheese! I haven't found it anywhere here, but my Mom buys it all the time back home and I LOVE it! Pheasant, not so much! But, I've never tried it. I assume it tastes like chicken?

kita — September 28, 2011 at 2:03 am

Handsome couldn't squash a spider, but I do have some friends that hook me up from time to time (it's a shame how excited I get!). This pizza looks amazing! Packed with flavor!

Jennifer — September 28, 2011 at 2:44 am

Well, I'm guessing there's cookbook in you – with all the exotic animals your hubby brings home for you to cook up. Eek! I would not know where to begin. I'm impressed.

Michelle's Style File — September 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

YUM! Beautifully presented post to- following 🙂

x
    Michelle

Kaleena — September 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm

This pizza is next!! I am so stoked for it! I'm thinking maybe this weekend. Trav has two tests due this week, so I'm thinking barbeque pizza would most def be a good treat for him. Mmmm! Can't wait to try that barbeque sauce!

Jazz Rules — October 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Wonderful pictures! A wise man once told me that 'The World's economy revolves around pizza!"

Food for Hunters — June 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Tasty! We’re thinking of making pheasant pizza this weekend. Great post. Thanks for the help!

Emily — November 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’ve been craving a really good bbq chicken pizza for a while now and was looking for a great recipe. I had already tried some of your other recipes and they were fabulous, so I tried this one out. I first used your pizza dough recipe which was perfect! I made my pizza with only the bbq sauce you have put on here, grilled chicken, and cheese. It was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked, and would be great even with more toppings I’m sure.

Thank you so much!