Barbecue Pheasant Pizza

I’m married to a hunter. I’ve been made aware of this every single fall since the day we started dating 16 years ago. Back then, I never in my wildest dreams would’ve imagined myself cooking and eating what he brought home. But here I am. A little older, wiser and I actually find the thought of him hunting and me cooking it rather awesome.

6170773547_1665557c0d_o

I realize I am a dork… and I’m okay with it.

Before today, I’ve never broke down a pheasant into parts. Yet, there I stood, squared off with a boning knife, staring down at these two birds ready to attack. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and took a stab at it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I was amazed how easy it actually was! My knife slid down the keel bone and voila! I removed 4 breasts and then the tenderloins! And it only took me 10 minutes! I was proud of myself and not to mention I felt totally bad ass!

If you need or want to check out an excellent step-by-step to learn how it’s done, then look here.

So when Pat told me we had pheasants, the first thing I thought of was barbecue pizza. For those who haven’t had the pleasure of trying bbq pizza… you are so missing out! You could easily swap out the pheasant for chicken, I just thought how cool would it be to try one of my favorite pizzas this way.

Just sprinkle a chicken {or pheasant} breast with salt, black pepper and a little garlic powder then grill them until they’re cooked through. For pheasants, because the breasts are smaller, it took me about 3 minutes a side. But, once cooked you only need a cup of meat diced up small.

Here is what you’ll need. But, honestly it’s the barbecue sauce totally makes this pizza.

Spread the sauce out over the dough, leaving a little bit of an “edge”. Then, sprinkle with chopped grilled pheasant {or chicken}, onions and crumbled pieces of bacon.

Sprinkle with 6 ounces of freshly grated brick cheese. {I get mine at the deli counter}

With the remaining three tablespoons of sauce, drizzle over top of the cheese. Bake in a 415 degree oven for seven minutes, rotate the pan and cook it for five to seven more minutes.

When the time is up, remove the pizza from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. It’s hard, but try your best to wait.

I have no words to describe how good this pizza smells and tastes! None. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

I’m totally a corner piece kind of gal.

I have a feeling I’m going to be making this pizza a lot this fall! Who’s coming over?

Enjoy! And if you give this Barbecue Pheasant Pizza recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Yield: 8

Barbecue Pheasant Pizza

Grilled pheasant breast topped homemade pizza crust with cheese, onions, bacon and my homemade sweet barbecue sauce.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 475ยฐ and oil a large, rimmed, metal baking sheet.
  2. Spread dough evenly on to the prepared pan.
  3. Spread the 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce over dough.
  4. Sprinkle with pheasant or chicken, bacon and red onions.
  5. Top with grated brick cheese and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of remaining sauce.
  6. Bake in the lower third of your oven until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted and is brown in spots. Approximately 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 74mg Sodium: 682mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 12g Protein: 22g
Nutrition information isnโ€™t always accurate.

19 Responses to “Barbecue Pheasant Pizza”

Melanie — September 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I adore BBQ chicken pizza! The only thing I do differently is add green onions. And I'm excited about trying your BBQ sauce on it the next time I make it!

Aarthi — September 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

BBQ pizza…Totally yumm…I am coming over..Hope you have some for me…BTW i need the center piece…Because i am a middle girl…

Pretend Chef — September 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I made and blogged about your Homemade Barbecue Sauce the other day. AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love BBQ pizza. I would love to give this one a try.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — September 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a gorgeous pizza!! This looks so delicious and something I would definitely make on the reg ๐Ÿ˜‰

Erin — September 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You are bad ass! Pheasant alone would scare me, but breaking it down too – total bad ass! Pizza looks so good!

Brigitt — September 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This looks amazing – right up my alley! I've been dying to make pizza. Might even have to make this for dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing – your photos are beautiful! I really need to get a better lens for my camera. What do you use?

Bev Weidner — September 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I'll be there in 20.

YOU THINK I'M KIDDING.

Becky @ Becky Bakes — September 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oooh…I am making your bbq sauce this afternoon and I have pheasant in the freezer. I may have to try this later this week! My husband will be tickled if I actually use up that pheasant:-)

RavieNomNoms — September 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm

You are so brave!! I am not sure I could do that haha. This pizza looks really amazing though. Nice job!

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — September 27, 2011 at 12:52 am

you are totally bad ass Laurie! and so is this recipe!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — September 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

My husband would love this…he loves anything BBQ! It looks beautiful too.

Lauren's Latest — September 27, 2011 at 5:43 pm

You just brought back a flood of memories from my childhood because you used brick cheese! I haven't found it anywhere here, but my Mom buys it all the time back home and I LOVE it! Pheasant, not so much! But, I've never tried it. I assume it tastes like chicken?

kita — September 28, 2011 at 2:03 am

Handsome couldn't squash a spider, but I do have some friends that hook me up from time to time (it's a shame how excited I get!). This pizza looks amazing! Packed with flavor!

Jennifer — September 28, 2011 at 2:44 am

Well, I'm guessing there's cookbook in you – with all the exotic animals your hubby brings home for you to cook up. Eek! I would not know where to begin. I'm impressed.

Michelle's Style File — September 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

YUM! Beautifully presented post to- following ๐Ÿ™‚

x
    Michelle

Kaleena — September 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm

This pizza is next!! I am so stoked for it! I'm thinking maybe this weekend. Trav has two tests due this week, so I'm thinking barbeque pizza would most def be a good treat for him. Mmmm! Can't wait to try that barbeque sauce!

Jazz Rules — October 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Wonderful pictures! A wise man once told me that 'The World's economy revolves around pizza!"

Food for Hunters — June 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Tasty! We’re thinking of making pheasant pizza this weekend. Great post. Thanks for the help!

Emily — November 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’ve been craving a really good bbq chicken pizza for a while now and was looking for a great recipe. I had already tried some of your other recipes and they were fabulous, so I tried this one out. I first used your pizza dough recipe which was perfect! I made my pizza with only the bbq sauce you have put on here, grilled chicken, and cheese. It was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked, and would be great even with more toppings I’m sure.

Thank you so much!