The Black and Bleu Burger

Wanna know a couple things I’m obsessed about lately?

Celebrity Ghost Stories {it’s on the Biography Channel} and Hershey Kisses. Sometimes even at the same time! I keep a bowl right next to my bed, which is perfect for late night TV watching. The only time I catch this spine-chilling show is when it’s late and dark out. Celebrities retell their ghost encounters and it creeps me heck out and totally gives me the sweats… but like an episode of Jersey Shore, I can’t keep myself from watching it. It’s like I already know I won’t be able to sleep well because I’ll for sure have nightmares… so I might as well stay up and torture myself with another episode. Before I know it, it’s 2am and I have to get up in 5 hours for work! As a result of this series, I’ll never be able to go in my basement to do a load of laundry in the dark again. EVER! Even right now I’m secretly hoping that after I publish this post I’ll catch a new episode. The only downer… I’m out of Hershey Kisses.

burger-620x415

Another thing I obsess about is this here burger. Really burgers in general, but I’ve only made this one a zillion and one times and it’s totally fab, gratifyingly scrumptious and you can actually lose weight while eating it! Okay that last one isn’t true but in all honesty it covers every single one of my hankerings. Bacon… cheese… Score!

Now, I wasn’t planning on blogging this recipe at all because it was suppose to be one of those quick and easy dinners… for once without the camera slung around my neck. But since I can’t resist the urge to take pictures of food, and I couldn’t possibly deprive you of this burger…  here you go, a not-so-step-by-step post of one of my all time favorite burgers. The Black and Bleu. Please pardon the lighting…

I started by mixing a pound of both ground sirloin and chuck and made 6 patties. Why the mix? Mainly because the sirloin was on sale, but you can use whatever you like, I’m personally not a fan of overly greasy burgers. Of course a little grease is okay… all things in moderation right? Then I simply stuff the centers with Gorgonzola cheese, any blue cheese could work here but I think this Italian version has a little more bite to it. In the past I have stuffed burgers with cheddar, Colby jack and bacon, but Gorgonzola is still my cheese of choice. Or choice of cheese. My cheesy choice. Ha!

Then just before grilling I make a dimple in the center of the burger {to keep the burger flat during grilling… thanks Rachel Ray} and sprinkle it with a little “special seasoning” that may or may not be McCormick Hamburger seasoning. In a single pinch it has the perfect amount of salt, pepper and garlic. LOVE IT!

Place the grilled burger on top of a toasted bun with a few strips of extra-crispy bacon, and some charred red onion rings {hence the black in the title… ya dig?}, topped with crisp, fresh romaine lettuce leafs and there you have it, a totally rocked out burger. Have I sold you yet?

I normally don’t cut my burgers in half, I’m particularly fond of biting into a thick burger and letting the crumbs and juices chill out on my face. But you all HAVE to see the little surprise inside. Ooey. Gooey. Cheese! I mean C’MON! It’s freaking awesome I tell you! There is something about blackened red onion, bacon and blue cheese that makes me smile… like one of those “pudding face” smiles. :D

So I’ll leave you with this burger while I go and run 57 miles and do 8,500 sit-ups just to work off some of that cheese and bacon from my waistline. While I’m doing that… tell me… what’s your favorite burger?

The Black and Bleu Burger

Yield: 6 burgers

1 pound Ground Sirloin

1 pound Ground Chuck

6 tablespoons of Gorgonzola Cheese, or more to taste

McCormick's Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning

1 Giant Red Onion {or two medium}

1/2 pound Bacon, cooked extra crispy

6 Romaine Lettuce Leafs, halved

6 Hamburger Buns, toasted

Peel then cut the red onion into six thick slices, place on to a medium-high grill until charred and softened {be careful flipping!}.

Combine the ground sirloin and chuck, then form 6 patties. Place about a tablespoon of Gorgonzola in the center of each burger and fold the outer edges over the center to keep the cheese inside. Make a small dimple in the center then sprinkle the burgers with seasoning on both sides and place them on the hot grill and cook until desired doneness {about 3-4 minutes a side}. Remove and let rest for 3-5 minutes

Toast buns on the grill then top with the burger, charred onion rings, bacon and lettuce, or any other toppings to suit your fancy.

25 Responses to “The Black and Bleu Burger”

Jessica @ How Sweet — August 29, 2011 at 10:55 am

this is my favorite burger! LOVE!

Carly — August 29, 2011 at 11:57 am

This looks so tasty! Is it wrong to want to go make this burger before 8 AM?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Celebrity Ghost Stories show! I finally watched Paranormal Activity a week or two ago and I have been in super ghost story mode and need a new outlet! :) Have a great week!

Dawnye7 — August 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

You are the bomb! I just ate breakfast and already I want that burger NOW!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Me too Jessica!

Carly… I'm not so sure I can handle that movie. Like the part when the baby is in the crib.. yeah not thanks I'll pass! Have a great week too!

Allison at Novice Life — August 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

This looks delicious! Rachel Ray does a Gorgonzola Sage burger that my hubby and I LOVE!

Pretend Chef — August 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

My favorite burger is a Green Chile Cheeseburger from my blog. I am craving burgers now. I want one of your burgers though. Crave worthy photos. I haven't had breakfast yet but this is in the running. Haha!

Bev Weidner — August 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Black and Bleu burgers OWN MY SOUL.

and turkey burgs, too.

All burgers, really. Lentils? Are you kidding me?

I've just died.

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Alison~ Gorgonzola and sage… SOLD!

OOoh Rochelle I'm stopping by to print of that recipe! Sounds delicious!

Bev~ I could easily eat burgers any meal of the day, every day of the week! :)

Lauren's Latest — August 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Blue cheese is one of my favorites, especially in a burger! And now I want one of these for breakfast! Ha!

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny — August 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wow these burgers look absolutely perfect! What a great recipe and your pictures are amazing! :)

Kristy Lynn — August 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Oh heaven! I make something similar to this but with ground bison.

PS. ground bison is similar to beef and has waaaaaay less fat – less sit ups are always appreciated!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 29, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Kristy Lynn~ Funny you should mention bison, I was thinking of making these burgers with bison today while at the grocery store!:)

Murissa Maurice — August 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Delicious paring! I also love topping my steak with a load of blue cheese and a light mushroom packed sauce.
    Thank you for sharing! and I too am frightened by the Celebrity Ghost Stories! I can only watch it when I know that I won't be left home alone within the next month or so.

The Wanderfull Traveler

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Murissa! I love steak… and blue cheese too! I never thought to include mushrooms!! What a delicious idea!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

This burger looks incredible! You just gave me a huge craving.

Lourdes tootiredmoms.com — August 30, 2011 at 1:48 am

A Burger With Bacon, Extra "Good" cheese, and avacado!

kita — August 30, 2011 at 1:56 am

I see nothing wrong with the burger obsession – and the only time to watch creepy shows is when you are giving yourself the creeps! Love the pics of these. Just had burgers myself tonight but I am already hungry for more!

Lizzy — August 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

Oh, my…this looks spectacular!!! You've inspired me to make some for my dad when he visits this weekend~

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

That's great Lizzy! I hope you have wonderful visit!:)

Judith — August 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

They sound delicious and as I just tried your beermarinated chicken, sweet corn salsa on tortillas and loved it very much, I am sure these will taste fantastic too. The harbonara sauce was the only problem as that the peper is not around here to buy. I used some garlic and red pepper.

Tiffany — August 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Oh, I want to make this with black beans instead of beef (I know, I know what you're thinking…). Holla! :D

Aarthi — August 31, 2011 at 4:20 am

This is delicious…Very juicy…Yummy …I love the addition of cheese in the center…Hope you had a great burger..Enjoy..
    Aarthi

ade — August 31, 2011 at 5:24 am

My mom and I could not think of what to make for dinner. I somehow found your blog, saw these burgers and they were an instant hit! Beyond delicious! Thank You!

myfudo — September 4, 2011 at 8:00 am

Interesting! I'm amazed with the color blending. It's nice.

1. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent