Apple Cabbage Slaw with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing

Are you a coleslaw fan?

I totally am!

All though I’m afraid I wasn’t such a fan as a kid. Cole slaw and pistachio pudding induced the gag reflex… big time! Then in my much more mature days {if you can call them that} I would only eat coleslaw if it was KFC’s. That stuff is reeeeeal good.

Now, I can’t help but find creative and delicious ways to make it! Pat’s Aunt Renie makes a mean slaw {similar to KFC’s}… but when I tried to duplicate it… it was a total FAIL!  It’s one of those ‘shake of this, a splash of that’… and mine turned out, well… not the same as hers. So as I keep trying to decode her recipe and figure out what I was doing wrong, I’ll give you this delicious slaw.

5811216492_439c30a11d_o

Apple. Cabbage. Slaw. {with a yummy poppy seed dressing that is totally to die for!} It’s creamy, crunchy and healthy! Well maybe except for the cup of mayo, but that’s neither here nor there. It’s a dang good slaw and you will love how the apple adds a delicious sweet twist to it! My oldest and I showed no shame as we helped ourselves to seconds… and thirds and I’m sure you will too!

Dig in!

The goods.

I start out making the dressing to get it out of the way before the chopping begins. So in a small bowl I add the mayo.

Then pour in the apple cider vinegar.

… and then the honey.

I seriously have mad love for honey.

Season with some kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Add in the poppy seeds.

Give it a whisk until all the ingredients are incorporated. Make sure to scrape the bottom for any honey that could be stuck to the bottom. Cover with some plastic wrap and set in the fridge to chill.

Remove any tough outer leaves on your cabbage.

Slice in half and remove the core.

Quarter the halves and then slice very thinly. Or, you could quarter, remove the core then slice thin… what-evs!

Toss the shredded cabbage into the largest bowl you have.

Now you can move on to the apples.

Quarter two apples, remove the core and discard.

Slice thin…

…and then slice into thin strips to julienne the apple.

Put the squeeze on half a lemon to keep the apples from turning brown.

Peel and slice three medium carrots.

Then cut the carrots into matchsticks also. I obviously need to take my time because these aren’t so perfect.

My Excuse: it was dinnertime and I had hungry kids breathing down my neck.

But here is a “How To” video just in case you need more of a visual!

Wash and trim 5 or so green onions.

Have you ever dipped the trimmed end into some kosher salt and ate them? So so SO good!

Slice those babies thin.

Roughly chop some parsley… about two tablespoons or so.

Toss them on top of the cabbage.

Pour the poppy seed dressing over the top. There is something about a good poppy seed dressing!

Tempting… I know… and I did! {swipe the bowl that is} 😛

Give it a toss.

Chill until ready to serve. This slaw totally rocks. Crisp, sweet and refreshing! Apples add a delicious twist to this coleslaw… I promise you’ll love it!

Apple Cabbage Slaw with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing

1 cup Mayo

1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 cup Honey

3 tablespoons Poppy Seeds

1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt

1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

For the dressing: Place all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl, whisk until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed then chill until ready to use.

For the slaw: Quarter and core one medium head of cabbage. Slice thinly and add to a large bowl. Add prepared apples {squeezed with lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown}, carrots, green onion and parsley to the bowl as well. Pour over poppy seed dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to one hour before serving.

*For more of a tangy dressing reduce the honey by half.

25 Responses to “Apple Cabbage Slaw with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing”

Heidi — June 21, 2011 at 3:50 am

Wow that looks so good. I love coleslaw 😀 I've never put apples in it though, that sounds amazing.

Amy — June 21, 2011 at 11:22 am

Sounds delicious. I really only like my mom's cole slaw but I think I'll give this one a try. It looks sweet like hers is.

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Kay Heritage — June 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh, this looks wonderful, Laurie! I am always looking for a good coleslaw recipe for my church fellowship dinners! How refreshing!

Pretend Chef — June 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

I'm not a big coleslaw fan. However, apples and poppyseed dressing take this to a whole new level of deliciousness. Yummy!

Erin — June 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I love poppy seed dressing – great idea of putting it on coleslaw. And apples – sound sweet and perfect for this as well! Great job!

ravienomnoms — June 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Seriously, that looks incredible!! I love your addition of the apple and the poppyseed dressing is just outstanding! Nicely done, I have to try this!

jennifer — June 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I'm typically not a big fan of cole slaw but this looks amazing!

Sabrina — June 22, 2011 at 12:46 am

I love how you added apples to your coleslaw! and your dressing looks fabulous!

Renn — June 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Your food photography rocks!!

Christine — June 23, 2011 at 2:03 am

This looks GREAT!!!!!!! So perfect for summer!!! Your photos are outstanding. The last picture is so beautiful I can almost taste the coleslaw!!! Must try this one!!!

Kita — June 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Love a slaw with apples.

How do you get all of those great shots while making the dish? I'd need my BF to hold the camera and take the pics but he is convinced it's alien technology and wont touch it!

Roberta Isleib — June 27, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Not a big big fan of coleslaw but always looking for the right recipe. Gonna try this one–thanks!

Lucy Burdette

fatbottomedfriends — June 28, 2011 at 1:41 am

Yep… this looks yummy!! It just so happens I was planning to make coleslaw this week… I think I'll try your recipe this time!!

Molly Skye — June 28, 2011 at 4:56 am

Poppy seed dressing is one of my favorites…such a rich, full taste in the mouth. Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely be using your recipe this summer!

Farida — June 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

That looks so cool for cabbage and apple recipe so fresh, love it. Thanks for share

farida

Jonathan Brown — July 10, 2011 at 6:16 am

This recipe is great. I used it as a slaw with fish tacos and it was a hit. People loved it! Great JOB!!!!

Denise — July 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Great recipe. I served it with Grilled Beer Marinated Chicken and I has a ton of compliments. Thanks for all the recipes!!

Anonymous — January 23, 2012 at 2:32 am

If you like KFC coleslaw (as I do too) then try sweetening with powdered sugar in your mayo based slaw dressing with lemon juice for the acid. It tastes pretty close to the Colonel's.

Jenna — June 12, 2012 at 2:24 am

tried it-yummy! will definitely make again!

Leslie — August 31, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Looks good, will definitely try. One problem I noticed with way the recipe was written- Dressing calls for 1/4 cup honey, but at the end of instructions, it says for a tangier dressing, reduce the honey to 1/3 cup. I’s already less than 1/3 c., so is that supposed to say ” for a sweeter dressing increase honey to 1/3 cup”?

• simplyscratch replied: — August 31st, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Ooops! It was suppose to say decrease by half. But you can taste as you go and figure out just how tangy you’d like it. Thanks for the heads up! 🙂

Me — October 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

First time I made this, and it was great! Will definitely make this again.

Jessica Willard — July 30, 2013 at 4:47 am

This looks fantastic! I have a few questions. I am making cooking a huge dinner for fiteen people for my boyfriend’s birthday party, and I am making fried chicken and needed a good slaw. My boyfriend requested one with apples and raisins, do you think it would be strange to add raisins to this? I have only made slaw once and it turned out strange so I am a bit nervous haha 🙂 Also, is it ok to cheat and use a bag of pre-made coleslaw mix or does that take away from the dish, I have so many dishes to cook I wanted to make this as quickly as I could, if that makes sense. Thank you so much, from a beginner cook 🙂

1. Pingback: Cabbage - Cheap, Tasty and Nutritious - Family Freelancer