In this crispy fish sandwich, cod is coated with cornmeal and pan fried until crispy. Sandwiched on ciabatta with lettuce, tomato and a homemade tartar sauce! Yields 4 to 6 sandwiches.
My whole family loves this fish sandwich, especially with the homemade tartar sauce.
Even my picky husband loved it! I’m thinking it’s probably because I use cod, and cod is a mild and subtle flavored fish. Not to mention the cornmeal gives it a crispy-crunchy exterior when pan fried and it is smothered in the best tartar sauce ever! Also, for this sandwich (and many others) I like to use ciabatta bread, it’s softer and chewier and has all those nooks and crannies for the tarter sauce to creep down in!! LOVE IT!
To Make The Tartar Sauce You Will Need:
- sweet pickle relish
- black pepper
- lemon juice
- Franks Red Hot Sauce
In a small mixing bowl, measure and add 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2-1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt, to taste. Lastly, add a few splashes of Franks Red Hot Sauce or to your personal taste.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
TO Make The Cornmeal Crusted Fish You Will Need:
- cod fillets
- yellow cornmeal
- freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
In a shallow dish, combine 1/2 cup corn meal, a few pinches of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Using a for or whisk, until combined.
Preheat your pan over medium-high heat. Please don’t judge my crusty old pan. I’ve had these since I was 19, it’s 10+ years old! I think it’s time for new pans.
Dredge each piece of cod, coating the top and bottom of the cod well, and pressing the cornmeal into the cod with your fingers to make sure it sticks.
Once your pan has preheated, add the cod to the hot oil, and cook 3-5 minutes per side. Adjusting the heat as you go. Flip and repeat.
Continue to cook the cod in batches and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. If your cod is thick and you feel it might not be thoroughly cooked you could place the baking sheet in the oven for an additional 5 minutes at 350°. But if your fish is flaky, your good to go.
Because we’re using cornmeal to crust this fish, it yields a crispy “fried like” texture on the outside of the cod.
Now we build the sandwich! For the fish sandwich you will need; a loaf of ciabatta, sliced tomato, lettuce, the crispy cornmeal fish fillets and the tarter sauce.
First, slice your ciabatta bread lengthwise.
Tear the middle out of the top half, you can snack on the bread while you’re making this sandwich or save and use to make breadcrumbs. Hollowing out the bread creates more room for stacking these sandwiches.
Spread the tartar sauce, as thick or as thin, on both sides of the bread. So good.
Stack the fish on the bottom half of the ciabatta.
Then top with slices of tomatoes.
And then lettuce leaves. Finally, replace the top piece of the ciabatta bread and with a sharp knife, slice into sections and serve!
SO deliciously flavorful! This fish sandwich is also great rewarmed the next day!
Tasty Fish Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce
FOR THE TARTAR SAUCE
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2½ tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 shakes Franks Red Hot Sauce, to taste
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 1 pound cod, about 5 pieces
- 1 loaf ciabatta
- 1 tomatoes, sliced thick
- 1/2 head ceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- kosher salt, to taste
- light olive oil, for frying
- Coat your pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Prepare fish by mixing together the corn meal and salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Coat the cod with the cornmeal mixture, pressing it on to the fish so it sticks.
- For the tartar sauce: Combine all ingredients, stir and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the fish in the preheated pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until it is golden and crispy.
- Remove to a parchment line baking sheet, If your fish is on the thick side, you could place the fish into a preheated oven (350°) to finish the cooking process.
- Otherwise, slice the ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise, hollow out the top and spread the tarter sauce on both the top and bottom. Then layer the the fish, tomato, lettuce and top with the top section of the ciabatta... slice into desired portions and serve... should serve 4-6 portions.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!