Crimson Bacon Popcorn

What is white… fluffy… and tastes like bacon? POPCORN! Wait. What?

Heather, a nurse I work with, and I were talking about the venison stew that I recently had posted. I was enthusiastically telling her how my favorite part in the recipe was browning the venison in bacon fat. She asked me if I’ve ever made popcorn in bacon fat. And my eyes lit up and my jaw dropped! Why didn’t I think of that… it sounds delicious… yet so bad… it… it… sounds PERFECT!

Words can’t express how excited I was to try this!

I LOVE BACON!

My husband thinks I’m crazy for wanting to make this, so I made this while he is away hunting… YAY! More for me!! Boy is he missing out!

We had just cooked up some slab bacon for BLT’s, so I poured it through a mesh strainer to catch the dark bits into a container.

Just a side note: Bacon fat is also really good to fry your eggs in!

Now, have you ever heard of jewel popcorn? Black Jewell is my favorite gourmet brand of popping corn and you can get the kernels in either black or crimson! Its hull is a beautiful red {or black}, and the cool part is that when the kernels pop, they are a beautiful stark white!

The only difference between the crimson and the black is that the black kernels are smaller and the hull shatters when it is popped which leaves you with less hull to get stuck in your teeth! Studies have also shown that both of these kinds of popcorn are chocked full of antioxidants… so get poppin!

You should be able to find this product right by the regular popcorn kernels at your local grocery store. Otherwise you can visit Black Jewell’s website and order yourself some!! Not to mention it’s a U.S. based company you’re supporting!!

These are the crimson popcorn kernels. Don’t they look a lot like pomegranate arils?!

All you need to make this yummy snack is the kernels and some bacon fat a deep pot and maybe some salt.

Measure out 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kernels, or as many as it takes to form a thin layer on the bottom of a deep sauce pan. Mine is 3 1/2 quarts… I used a 1/4 cup… but I could have definitely used a half.

Melt a tablespoon of the bacon fat in the sauce pan over medium high heat.

Once it is completely melted drop in one kernel of the crimson popcorn.

Put a lid on it and wait for it to pop.

Once you hear the pop, remove the lid.

Pour in the right amount of popcorn kernels for your pot.

Give them a shake to form a single layer on the bottom.

Put the lid back on the pot and shake frequently until there is a long pause in between pops and all kernels are popped! Carefully remove the lid once the popping has stopped.

Give them a quick taste then season with some kosher salt.

My dog was going bonkers when I was making this… between the delicious smell of bacon… and the popcorn pinging against the lid of my pot. It was kinda funny actually.

Some may argue with me that cooking with bacon fat is unhealthy… but I disagree… bacon fat is my friend.

You won’t believe how delicious this is. It has a light smokey-bacony flavor, and each kernel has a slightly buttery texture. I didn’t add any melted butter to this, because in my opinion it was perfect the way it was. I also found that the longer it sat the more pronounced the bacon flavor was. OH-MY-GOODNESS this is amazing!!

Look how bright red and pretty the popcorn hull is!! You have to make this, you’ll be glad you did!

Yield: a lot

Crimson Bacon Popcorn

Crimson Bacon Popcorn
Popcorn popped in bacon fat!
Prep Time 2 minutes
Total Time 2 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon bacon fat, strained of impurities
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup popcorn kernels [depending on pot size]
  • kosher salt, to taste

Instructions

1. Heat the bacon fat in a deep 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat.
  2. Once melted add one kernel, cover with the lid and wait for the kernel to pop.
  3. Then pour in the rest of the kernels forming a single layer on the bottom of the pot.
  4. Replace the lid and shake frequently until the popping has subsided and all kernels are popped.
  5. Remove lid carefully and season with kosher salt.

22 Responses to “Crimson Bacon Popcorn”

oliepants — November 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

You really know how to do things right! I love this!

nicholebertucci.com — November 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Ok, you may have issues – but man am I glad!

Jenny — November 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I think pomegranate seeds are so cute! Is that weird? haha

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — November 17, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I am SO mad that I have no bacon or bacon fat right now!!! Holy deliciousness! This will be tried. SOON!

The popped corn with the red hull is so pretty, I've got to find this popcorn too. I love everything about this post! 🙂

GRAND MAMAA — November 17, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Wow this is aaaamazing….so much flavor yet not at all greasy…loved the recipe..love your blog

Jennifurla — November 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I never knoew popcorn could be so dang pretty, thanks for sharing. You think I could make this is any old covered pot?

Laurie @simplyscratch — November 17, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Sure as long as it isn't a shallow pan. My husband tried doing it in a saute pan and the pans surface ratio is greater than the depth… well you can imagine the mess! 🙂

Pretend Chef — November 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Bacon makes everything better! I have never heard of someone using bacon grease. So excited to have another use for it. Checking their website out now.

Sprinkles of Parsley — November 18, 2010 at 7:10 pm

What a great idea for a post! Looks great!

Cookin' Canuck — November 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm

What pretty popcorn! And cooking it in bacon fat? Brilliant!

BakingWithoutaBox — November 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

You had me at bacon. Delightful recipe!

Amy — November 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Yay for bacon!!! This sounds awesome!

Jane — November 19, 2010 at 11:59 am

My kids make popcorn every night. They are amazed to make it "on the stove." Sorry, it just tastes better than air popped. We will definitely have to give this a try. Our dogs will go crazy!

A Feast for the Eyes — November 21, 2010 at 4:42 am

I no longer worry about what people think when I cook with bacon or deep fry. I don't do it all the time.
    This is pure genius and the next time we have date night at home, I'm making this. My husband will flip, because he loves bacon so much!

Kristen - Dine & Dish — November 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

What a great idea – I would have never thought to do this until I read your post. I be the flavor was amazing!

Kristen - Dine & Dish — November 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Kristen - Dine & Dish — November 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Mary — November 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm

This is such a simple and very cool idea! I am beginning to think of you as an evil genius. In a very good way, of course! The crimson popcorn is beautiful and this has inspired me to make popcorn for the first time since university.
    🙂

The Cilantropist — November 22, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This look fabulous!!! doesnt bacon make everything better? 😉

kathdedon — January 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I echo your reaction: Why didn't I think of this?? It has to be amazing. I'm going to surprise my husband with this one sometime soon. He will be sooooo happy!

A Busy Nest — February 2, 2011 at 3:45 am

I'm pretty sure my husband would go crazy over this! He loves bacon and popcorn, so it would be a perfect combo for him.

stoveless — February 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

This looks fabulous. If I weren't vegetarian, I'd be nomming on pork popped delights right about now. For those who don't eschew meaty treats, I'm wondering if you'd mind me posting this article as a link in a guide I'm writing regarding stovetop popcorn. Let me know if that's ok!
    Thanks,