Creamy Tomato Parmesan Tortellini Soup
Creamy Tomato Parmesan Tortellini Soup is a simple one-pot soup with cheese tortellini, crushed tomatoes, parmesan cheese, spinach and fresh basil. Serves 6 generous (1-1/2 cups) servings.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth if vegetarian
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 3 cups chopped spinach about 5 ounces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Once melted, add onions with a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and translucent.
Add garlic, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, stir and cook 1 minute.
Next stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
Add tomato paste, stir and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in broth and crushed tomatoes. Add a little water to the can to get any tomatoes stuck to the can.
Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the tortellini. Cook (uncovered) for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
Next, stir in heavy cream, parmesan cheese and chopped spinach. Stir occasionally until heated through and spinach has wilted.
Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Lastly, stir in sliced basil and serve ladled in bowl with extra parmesan cheese.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 510kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 1669mg | Potassium: 765mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2331IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 334mg | Iron: 6mg