Broccoli Ham and Swiss Soup
Broccoli Ham and Swiss Soup is a creamy flavorful soup loaded with broccoli florets, ham and gruyere cheese. Served best with crackers, crusty bread or a grilled cheese for dipping.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half or sub 1 cup each whole milk and heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese grated, plus more for serving
- 8 ounces ham finely diced, I used 95%fat free
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
In a medium pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted add onion, celery and carrot with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
Add broccoli florets, stir and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
Uncover and add garlic, stir and cook 1 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook 2 minutes.
Pour in broth and half & half. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add freshly grated nutmeg, stir and heat over medium until thickened. About 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in ham and gruyere and heat through until cheese is melted.
Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 1300mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g